Department for Work And Pensions

Department for Work And Pensions Permanent Secretary Robert Devereux
Robert Devereux

Sinking ship

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time

Pros

Annual leave entitlement and flexi time (where available)

Cons

Poor training. Nepitism is rife.

Admin officer

Current Employee - Administrative Officer  in  Blackpool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Blackpool, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions for more than 10 years

Pros

Absolutely none, its getting worse

Cons

Beating the boredom and standing the crap management

Get real, all the staff are demoralised and all for £19090 per year

Complete disgrace of an organisation!!!

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A warm, dry environment- that's the best I can think of

Cons

Anyone who has worked in private industry and comes here will get shock of their lives. If you work yourself into the ground, come in early, leave late, skip lunch answer every call and customer or actually care about getting everything done you will get exactly the same as the guy who sits looking at football results on his screen. You'll love this job if you are useless, if you don't know anything about digital applications and if you've been there since the 70's/80's and are just seeing out your time. The I.T. is terrible, leading to complete staff meltdowns. In an effort to save money they have stopped ordering basic items like calanders and note pads which are essential items especially when constantly discussing benefit payment dates and staff have to buy their own, they also took away the water machines. They could save millions in man hours if they looked at why staff have to input the same info onto three or four systems so information can be accessed instead of devising a system where it can all be pulled off of one system. You have at least three forms for everything. If there is a complicated way- they will find it. All decisions are made by back of house people who stand for hours talking about the other staff in poorly disguised whispers- these people will tell you what to do and how easy it is to do and check your work, but no way could they do the front line customer facing themselves and if you suggest they try, they are too busy to try. To top it all off- when you are customer facing you will be faced with all manner of insults from addicts etc.

Don't make ANY decisions regarding customer facing officers unless you can PROVE you can do it first. Sort your I.T., make the P.D.P. System more varied- you have rubbish and good staff in same bandings.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heartache

Current Employee - Operations Support Officer  in  Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Support Officer in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Helping vulnerable customers who are in need

Cons

Wanted to return back to original site but would not accept me back due to head count

Management do not listen

Worked a long time have only got a small pension to look forward to now

Former Employee - Full Tme Administrative Public Facing  in  Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Full Tme Administrative Public Facing in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

37hrs a week outside London. Paid holidays. Used to be helping people more than it is now.

Cons

Victim of creeping privatisation and political correctness. Fast change in practices. Over regulated. Uncertain future

Bring back the old ideal of all senior management outstationed with the public for 2 weeks a year! You did it in the 70's why not now?

A very mixed experience, but bop really not good.

Former Employee - Senior A Executive A Officer  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior A Executive A Officer in Sheffield, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

HR policies and the Departments commitment to family-friendly flexible working and the development opportunities of staff

Cons

Poor middle and senior management, lack of corporate direction, continuous change often for the worse, unaddressed bullying, racism and harassment culture

Recognise and utilise leaders and managers from within the business, understand how negative constant change is to the business, stop turning a blind eye to unacceptable management behaviour

Poor

Current Employee - Pension Administrator  in  Leicester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pension Administrator in Leicester, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

annual leave
    pensions
    flexi working condition
    other benefits

Cons

poor management decisions
    poor staff engagement
    lack of progression opportunities

Listen to the people...they are doing the job on a daily basis!

Why did I go to uni? but at least I've got a pay cheque.

Current Employee - Administrative Officer  in  Wolverhampton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Wolverhampton, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

pay cheque and flexi -time, managers are not rude to you, difficult to get rid of you if you're in the PCS union (cost £8.41 per month). The pay is not bad by Wolverhampton standards.

Cons

boring, repetitative work on ancient pre-Windows software. The simplist tasks are intricate and time consuming, requireing the use of three databases . A stagnate aging workforce,some there since the 60s. A woman got a medal for being in the same job, in the same place, for...25 years!! They are incredibly petty to a molecular degree and complain about things no one in the private sector would have time for. The main topic of conversation is the eating habits of their children. A colleagues's child and husband both like wild rice with fishfingers and tomarto ketchup.

It's depressing working for a welfare system that has failed.

please stop saying:"Everything will be all right when Universal Credit comes in"...in 2013. More vertical and horizontal promotion opportunities. What is the purpose of our welfare system?

Ok, unless there's a problem and then you are on your own

Former Employee - Executive Officer
    Former Employee - Executive Officer

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

Flexi time and decent holidays, reasonable pay

Cons

Line managers are unable to deal with problems, bullying gets swept under the carpet, lazy workers are never confronted over their lack of work meaning everyone else has to take up their slack, ridiculous policies regarding how to set out your desk - sorry but I will put my stapler and phone where I want it not where some idiot civil servant tells me its most productive.

Stop being so 'PC' about everything - if someone is being bullied do not pander to the bully so you dont hurt their feelings.

DWP Analyst Position

Former Employee - Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

Workforce consists of highly motivated and intelligent people, teeming with ideas. Enjoyable working lifestyle and opportunities to contribute to work which may have wide impact on society.

Cons

Often too relaxed and many lack much drive on a day to day basis. Lack of accountability and performance management

Good management, tasks well delegated both within groups and smaller teams within. Greater transparency and cooperation between teams would not go amiss however

Worked for Department for Work And Pensions? Contribute to the Community!