Department of Commerce

CEO

1. Learning experience

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at Department of Commerce (Less than a year)

Pros

The doc gave me a lot of great learning experience with potential for future full time employment in my field.

Cons

The pay was only a metro stipend, but I wanted to work here so it was ultimately worth it compared to an unpaid internship

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management because my experience was so positive especially in comparison to other unpaid internships, DOC was very flexible with my hours

2. Make it your own

Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Department of Commerce full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for a few agencies within the Department of Commerce. All have their range of culture, management styles, teamwork, and resource availability. In all, I would say that it has been a positive experience for me. I am a self-starter, that likes autonomy and group work. Ultimately, I take pride in my work and look to make my agency look good. Due to my good work, I have been recruited and asked to perform tasks that are beyond my years.

Cons

Some find the work to the boring and unstimulating. Others like to be told what to do. Really, it's all about placement in the government. Finding a boss that you can work with and a team that you can stand. As a millenial, I've seen many form colleagues leave because of the pass or the environment. For me, I like the pace but there are days when things are slow or tasks are tenditous. In those instances, I exercise my freedom to do my own projects or self-training.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. Varies with Department

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Department of Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of the department of commerce is very easy to believe in and is very important. Can often have room to grow and excel though GS grade.

Cons

The bureaucracy really does rule all and it is often difficult to get seemingly easy work done. There appears to be a lot of turnover in younger generations because of this.

Advice to Management

Of course every government entity has to struggle with bureaucracy but the very least commerce can do is improve communication channels. As a whole the department seems to be very behind in terms of technology as well.

5. Intern

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Department of Commerce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best departments to work for in the federal government. I would love to work there again. The people in the department are amazing colleagues.

Cons

There are no negatives to working for the Department of Commerce. The people who work there are friendly, caring, and want you to be able to advance to the highest levels of your career.

Advice to Management

Management needs to keep doing what they were doing when I was there. Whenever I had questions or concerns, management always had their door open. There was never a time where I had to wait to talk to someone higher up.

6. Good division

Pros

Great people and fun projects.

Cons

Typical government job; kinda bland and ridged.

Advice to Management

Stay loyal to your loyal employees.

7. I had an exceptional experience working for the DOC due to a great staff and office efficiency.

Pros

The managers are really helpful and always explain your projects in detail, which helps prevent endless back-and-forth communication.

Cons

It is very difficult for me to come up with a negative aspect of time spent with the department of commerce. They were very helpful but maybe could be a bit more expedient.

Advice to Management

Better manage sub-departments' time management.

8. Eye Opening, Challenging and Rewarding Experience!

Former Intern - Trade Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Trade Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Department of Commerce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Supervisors really care about your career. They are always there if you need advice and are always willing to give you challenging work to do. Friendly environment, open door policy, approachable, supportive

Cons

challenging and small office environment

9. Field Representative

Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Trenton, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Service Representative in Trenton, NJ

I worked at Department of Commerce part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great support system! Management works with you and ensures you get what is needed within an appropriate time frame.

Cons

You are usually sent to areas that are not welcoming to government officials knocking on their doors.

Advice to Management

Stay current with workforce and create plan of action accordingly.

10. Interesting Internship, limited by bureaucracy and red tape.

Former Intern - Trade Assistant Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Intern - Trade Assistant Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Department of Commerce as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Diverse array of tasks and progressively increasing responsibility. I was able to work on some of my own projects and left feeling like I had really contributed something.

Cons

Tons of red tape, even for government work. Office politics and general political crap can get in the way of progress and also creates an environment where the wrong people get promoted.

11. Not a bad place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

Pros

The pay is good. The Department provided extensive training that fully prepares you for the job requirements. Friendly and supportive co-workers and supervisors.

Cons

Communication from the higher levels of management was lacking a lot. worked on a need to know basis that created frustration.

Advice to Management

Communicate feedback to employees. if you are happy or unhappy then tell us so that it can be resolved in timely and efficient manner.

RSS Feed </> Embed