Department of Health UK

Updated May 24, 2014

Not yet rated.

Department of Health UK Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt

Great people, some frustrating bureaucracy

Senior Press Officer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe teams working in the Department's core business - policy, private office/press office are passionate about improving the nation's health. Everyone appreciates the pressure people in other parts of the organisation are sometimes under and helps as best as they can.

ConsSometimes bureaucracy gets in the way, either from centralised policy (for example procurement or recruitment practices), or DH's interpretation of that policy.

Like all other government departments, there is little scope for pay increase. Some of the other benefits (pension, generous annual leave allowance) do make up for this, and there are some small (less than £1k pa) one-off bonuses available to recognise exceptional work (these are very limited - c.10% or less of the workforce and most of them being around the £500 mark).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a bit more flexible when it comes to interpreting HR and finance policies from the Centre. The policies are there for a reason, but there are always going to be some exceptions and it would be great if cases could be judged on their merits.

Great perks, not the most productive organisation though

Executive Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsA genuine feeling of contributing towards something important.
    30 days annual leave
    Flexible working

ConsOffice politics.
    Constant "restructures" take place and the same people get hired to do the same job but with a different name.

Advice to Senior ManagementEntire organisations are abolished and recreated under different names. Very frustrating to watch it happening around you and obviously emotionally difficult to deal with the constant worry that you will lose your job.

good

Stores Manager At Health of Department (Current Employee) Mandsaur (India)

Prosto help others with the oath

Consi dont know.....about it

Advice to Senior ManagementDo work as much as faster...and do it honestly

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I was assigned as Secretary I at Health Infrastructure Service, a great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with team of architects and engineers responsible in construction and rennovation of all government hospitals nationwide was a wide range of exposure in terms of different situations, coordination, interaction and scope of work.

ConsI was disappointed with some employees who were absent more days from work than they were present on paydays just to get their bi-monthly salaries.... And when I ask the top executive in our office how come that was, he said it was a system he can't correct on his level.

Advice to Senior ManagementThat government offices should be run in much professional manner it may not disappoint a fresh graduate like me so idealistic enough to start right and well... I left immediately because I fear getting part of the system I find so corrupt on simple honest day's pay.

very helpful in the delivery of health services especially in remote areas.

RHMPP (Current Employee) Iloilo (Philippines)

Prosextending and imparting knowledge about updates on different diseases that could endanger the human life.

Conslow salary as of now.

Advice to Senior Managementadd more benifits

nurses assigned both hospital and community work.

RNheals (Former Employee) Pagadian (Philippines)

Prosyou are more exposed on you're medical field with the Department of Health

Consthe work is only on contract.

very cool

Accounting Assistant (Current Employee) Alah, South Cotabato (Philippines)

Prosthe people are nice to work with

Consother officials are not so approachable

Opportunity for exposure and responsibility at early stage

ProsRewards hard work. There is a necessity for creative policy development

ConsInternal processes can be bureaucratic with over-focus on 'values'

compliance jobs, preciseness required

Deputy (Former Employee) Taichung (Taiwan)

ProsMediate salary for freshman who just graduated from college. A good track get into governmental institutions through simplified interior exams. Steady and reliable salary with daily routine, and you can go off work once finishing you duties.

ConsBoring routine Secretary jobs related to medicine. It will become a non-progressive position if keep hiring by contracts without permission by official examinations.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the old stuffs retire and re-crew new bloods.

It's ok.

ProsProvides Family Work life balance

ConsThere is no opportunity for advancement

Worked for Department of Health UK? Contribute to the Community!