Department of Health UK

Department of Health UK Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt
Jeremy Hunt
1 Rating

Department of Health

Former Employee - Deputy Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Deputy Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Department of Health UK full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are at the centre of government and will see the inner most workings of government. The policy issues are general quit interesting and you will be working around some of the most brilliant minds. The issues are real, facing people in the street and even in the daily news.

Cons

There are a number of laggards that are there just putting in time. It is difficult to build optimistic and positive teams that really enjoy their work.

Challenge the lower performers and find work for them elsewhere. Reward the top performers.

Great people, some frustrating bureaucracy

Former Employee - Senior Press Officer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Press Officer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Department of Health UK full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The teams working in the Department's core business - policy, private office/press office are passionate about improving the nation's health. Everyone appreciates the pressure people in other parts of the organisation are sometimes under and helps as best as they can.

Cons

Sometimes bureaucracy gets in the way, either from centralised policy (for example procurement or recruitment practices), or DH's interpretation of that policy.

Like all other government departments, there is little scope for pay increase. Some of the other benefits (pension, generous annual leave allowance) do make up for this, and there are some small (less than £1k pa) one-off bonuses available to recognise exceptional work (these are very limited - c.10% or less of the workforce and most of them being around the £500 mark).

Be a bit more flexible when it comes to interpreting HR and finance policies from the Centre. The policies are there for a reason, but there are always going to be some exceptions and it would be great if cases could be judged on their merits.

Great perks, not the most productive organisation though

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Department of Health UK as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

A genuine feeling of contributing towards something important.
    30 days annual leave
    Flexible working

Cons

Office politics.
    Constant "restructures" take place and the same people get hired to do the same job but with a different name.

Entire organisations are abolished and recreated under different names. Very frustrating to watch it happening around you and obviously emotionally difficult to deal with the constant worry that you will lose your job.

good

Current Employee - Stores Manager At Health of Department in Mandsaur (India)
    Current Employee - Stores Manager At Health of Department in Mandsaur (India)

I have been working at Department of Health UK full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

to help others with the oath

Cons

i dont know.....about it

Do work as much as faster...and do it honestly

I was assigned as Secretary I at Health Infrastructure Service, a great learning experience

I worked at Department of Health UK

Pros

Working with team of architects and engineers responsible in construction and rennovation of all government hospitals nationwide was a wide range of exposure in terms of different situations, coordination, interaction and scope of work.

Cons

I was disappointed with some employees who were absent more days from work than they were present on paydays just to get their bi-monthly salaries.... And when I ask the top executive in our office how come that was, he said it was a system he can't correct on his level.

That government offices should be run in much professional manner it may not disappoint a fresh graduate like me so idealistic enough to start right and well... I left immediately because I fear getting part of the system I find so corrupt on simple honest day's pay.

very helpful in the delivery of health services especially in remote areas.

Current Employee - RHMPP in Iloilo (Philippines)
    Current Employee - RHMPP in Iloilo (Philippines)

I have been working at Department of Health UK as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

extending and imparting knowledge about updates on different diseases that could endanger the human life.

Cons

low salary as of now.

add more benifits

nurses assigned both hospital and community work.

Former Employee - RNheals in Pagadian (Philippines)
    Former Employee - RNheals in Pagadian (Philippines)

I worked at Department of Health UK as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

you are more exposed on you're medical field with the Department of Health

Cons

the work is only on contract.

very cool

Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Alah, South Cotabato (Philippines)
    Current Employee - Accounting Assistant in Alah, South Cotabato (Philippines)

I have been working at Department of Health UK as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

the people are nice to work with

Cons

other officials are not so approachable

Opportunity for exposure and responsibility at early stage

I have been working at Department of Health UK

Pros

Rewards hard work. There is a necessity for creative policy development

Cons

Internal processes can be bureaucratic with over-focus on 'values'

compliance jobs, preciseness required

Former Employee - Deputy in Taichung (Taiwan)
    Former Employee - Deputy in Taichung (Taiwan)

I worked at Department of Health UK full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mediate salary for freshman who just graduated from college. A good track get into governmental institutions through simplified interior exams. Steady and reliable salary with daily routine, and you can go off work once finishing you duties.

Cons

Boring routine Secretary jobs related to medicine. It will become a non-progressive position if keep hiring by contracts without permission by official examinations.

Let the old stuffs retire and re-crew new bloods.

Department of Health UK Photos