Department of Watershed Management

Updated May 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great Beginning

Help Desk Technician (Current Employee)

ProsSet hours
    Interesting work environment
    Diverse staff
    Equitable Pay
    Exciting work

ConsSlow-paced environment (not for "eager bevers")
    Must learn to network (political prowess offers you a leg-up in government jobs)

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to streamline services.
    Use the data we have to unify city users

Limited

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsIndependence totally and completely to succeed on your own.

ConsUpper management verily limited with personnel successes and salary progress of subordinates and they keep progressing.

Great Pay - bad culture

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits & Worklife Balance

Work locations is downtown, good for commute.

Free excercise facility

Holidays - 12 oberserved for City Workers

Over-Time & Comp Time

ConsInternal Promotion Process is not good. Generally someone from the outside can make 10,000 dollars (Mid grade) salary for the same position. Internal promotions only get Min or 10% increase, which ever is greater.

There are no annual raises unless you get a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to focus more on aligning business strategies and technology.
    Need to have more raises and a Performance Evaluation that motivates employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Antiquated views...

Atlanta, GA

ProsI happen to be in a unique situation, because I have an immediate supervisor who believes in me and my success. However, most managers do not have this belief in their employees.

ConsManagers do not have a belief in their employees. Also, the buck is often passed with people saying that a particular task is not in their job description.

Also, as a new hire, my benefits and new hire packet was misplaced that contained my and family's social security numbers. In the end I had to pay for their mistake and was made to feel that it was somehow my fault that they lost this paperwork.

Also, because it is a government entity, everyone is pretty much aware of the pay grades of other employees. This leads to some employees thinking that they are too good to talk to employees that are too far below their pay grade.

Also, as a young person in the department, it is difficult to be accepted by people. Many employees have been with the City of Atlanta for years and are weary of folks coming from the outside.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more engaged and place a trust and confidence in your employees. Also, do not let employees feel they are untouchable.

Fast paced, invigorating and challenging.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe opportunity to gain valuable work experience and work at an organization that really makes a difference in everyday lives of all citizens. The need for clean and safe drinking water combined with completing projects that will not only maintain but improve quality output makes a difference just like having clean air.

ConsThe inability of senior management to communicate the goals for the department in way that made all of the employees aware of their role within the organization.

Worked for Department of Watershed Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Department of Watershed Management reviews and ratings. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Department of Watershed Management employees.