Department of Watershed Management

CEO

Great Beginning

Current Employee - Help Desk Technician  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Help Desk Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Department of Watershed Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Set hours
    Interesting work environment
    Diverse staff
    Equitable Pay
    Exciting work

Cons

Slow-paced environment (not for "eager bevers")
    Must learn to network (political prowess offers you a leg-up in government jobs)

Continue to streamline services.
    Use the data we have to unify city users

Good and bad.

I have been working at Department of Watershed Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are opportunities to learn and advance. I have a manager that believes in work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of urgency in dealing with issues. Lack of standard processes. No meaningful performance appraisals or raises.

Be available and approachable to employees. Set standards.

Majority of leadership and management only care about themselves; they are devious and outright lie.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Department of Watershed Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Knowing one's self is providing meaningful services to resident customers and employees.

Cons

Lack of morals by leadership and management. Only verbal recognition that leads to additional work due to high performance...with zero disparity between them and poor performers (I seen poor performers get raises and promotions, and great performers get nothing but a pat on the back and additional work...and later harassment for voicing concern). In and Out groups with clear differential treatment. Harassment if you voice your opinion. Inferior leadership and management in the office of Safety & Security micromanaged by the commissioner. They largely hire their friends so that they have control-trust, to protect themselves when they screw up (those employees protect them by lying about the situation). Steer clear.

I will not waste my time trying to give advice to those that do not desire it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Limited

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Department of Watershed Management

Pros

Independence totally and completely to succeed on your own.

Cons

Upper management verily limited with personnel successes and salary progress of subordinates and they keep progressing.

Great Pay - bad culture

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Department of Watershed Management

Pros

Great Benefits & Worklife Balance

Work locations is downtown, good for commute.

Free excercise facility

Holidays - 12 oberserved for City Workers

Over-Time & Comp Time

Cons

Internal Promotion Process is not good. Generally someone from the outside can make 10,000 dollars (Mid grade) salary for the same position. Internal promotions only get Min or 10% increase, which ever is greater.

There are no annual raises unless you get a promotion.

Need to focus more on aligning business strategies and technology.
    Need to have more raises and a Performance Evaluation that motivates employees.

Antiquated views...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Department of Watershed Management

Pros

I happen to be in a unique situation, because I have an immediate supervisor who believes in me and my success. However, most managers do not have this belief in their employees.

Cons

Managers do not have a belief in their employees. Also, the buck is often passed with people saying that a particular task is not in their job description.

Also, as a new hire, my benefits and new hire packet was misplaced that contained my and family's social security numbers. In the end I had to pay for their mistake and was made to feel that it was somehow my fault that they lost this paperwork.

Also, because it is a government entity, everyone is pretty much aware of the pay grades of other employees. This leads to some employees thinking that they are too good to talk to employees that are too far below their pay grade.

Also, as a young person in the department, it is difficult to be accepted by people. Many employees have been with the City of Atlanta for years and are weary of folks coming from the outside.

Be more engaged and place a trust and confidence in your employees. Also, do not let employees feel they are untouchable.

Fast paced, invigorating and challenging.

I worked at Department of Watershed Management

Pros

The opportunity to gain valuable work experience and work at an organization that really makes a difference in everyday lives of all citizens. The need for clean and safe drinking water combined with completing projects that will not only maintain but improve quality output makes a difference just like having clean air.

Cons

The inability of senior management to communicate the goals for the department in way that made all of the employees aware of their role within the organization.

Worked for Department of Watershed Management? Contribute to the Community!