Dermalogica Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.4
Steve Kurland

Overall it has been great, I have learned a lot, and enjoy a lot of independence in my position.

Current Employee - Administration Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Administration Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

While the company doesn't show appreciation with high salaries, they do show appreciation in other ways-verbally, employee events, monthly product allocation.

Cons

It seems like some people get away with doing a horrible job and get better pay only because they have been with the company for a long time.

Advice to Management

Reward employees who actually work hard and make your job easier. A lot of great employees leave because of the pay discrimination.

Get Rid of the Hags.

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time

Pros

Good company with nice products and subpar benefits and below industry pay. Not doing your job is OK and so is watching Netflix and updating your FaceBook status as long as you have nothing to do and it's slow. Taking hour lunches to judge coworkers because they don't look and work like you and talk about last night's dates are OK if you discuss it with your boss. Do bad and say worst and you won't get written up or fired.

Cons

Some employees who have invested 10 or more years and are senior directors and managers are so comfortable that they walk around with their noses up and act like they're invincible... "The Untouchables". Because of its "seniority" they do not contribute to the company or actually work because their jobs are "secure". Most have no "proper" education or manners but still manage to have high positions with alot of power. That goes to show that education is not valued here. Everybody has a manager title even when they do not manage a single soul. Most employees think low of their managers but maybe that speaks volumes if your employees know more about the day to day than the managers who get paid 6 figures to "manage". Family gives family jobs over qualified candidates and only after you put in your "two weeks" is when management counteroffers with compensation that you deserved all along... backwards.

Advice to Management

Have employees show that they DESERVE to keep their jobs by making them demonstrate how much of an asset they are. Pay and reward employees based on their contribution instead of giving them and their family members handouts. Compensate on their worth.

Not a good place due to corporate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Product is good, great education, good coworkers in the field, bonuses can be good if targets are set right

Cons

Some extremely disconnected higher ups and watch out they will play favorites. If you can and are willing to kiss up enough that might just get you ahead and then you won't have to worry about performance or time spent working hard. Better to be in the friends and family program that has been there for years because that is really the only tribe they have. Unless your a woman in a third world country don't expect their help. Base salary is a joke. Never have I seen a company send out a yearly total compensation package review...please stop trying to justify the base salary and just raise it.

Advice to Management

Time to sell this brand. Constant changes in management and the disconnect from the field and reality is getting Dermalogica further and further behind. Sad to say it's not catching up.

Sales

I have been working at Dermalogica part-time

Pros

Product is high quality. Delivers results.

Cons

Frustrating new management. No benefits.

Advice to Management

Listen to your experienced employees and grow as the tribe you claim us to be.

Good Company!

Former Employee - Corporate Office in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Office in Carson, CA

I worked at Dermalogica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Has that small company "family" type of environment, but I can only speak for working at the office, not in the field.

Cons

Because it's a small company, there is a lot of favoritism and a lot of upper management is really only in position due to their long tenure within the organization, not for their ability to do the job well.

Big Changes

I have been working at Dermalogica

Pros

- Incentives - Support from Managerment - Communication with the field

Cons

- Sometimes a bit too many focuses

Advice to Management

Continue the great changes!!! Very Please and satisfied to be part of the tribe!!

8. okay

I worked at Dermalogica

Pros

great products and you get discount

Cons

difficult to help accounts sell through products when customers can buy same thing on internet at a discount

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica

Pros

Challenging work and great people to work with. My team is the best and make it enjoyable to come to work everyday. I feel the environment is professional and motivating.

Cons

Hope to see professionalism continue to improve.

Advice to Management

Continue allowing events that bring the staff together. Happy employees work harder.

Dermalogica Review

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great district manager, great team of co-workers. Great health, dental and vision benefits. Love the company car and gas card. Lots of education opportunities and sales training.

Cons

Revolving corporate executive door. Constant changes to compensation and bonus structures. Constant field expectations changes. Often sales is the last to know and an inconstant marketing calendar.

Advice to Management

More Corporate accountability. Getting the sales field information on a timely manor. Too many department heads that do not communicate and it can get confusing. Sticking to a marketing calendar. Increase in base salary for the sales field would help keep the territory turn overs down. We are one of the least paid sales reps in the industry. Be competitive.

Great Company for Women... Just not the ones who work for them

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Accounts are fabulous. Product Allocation. Decent vacation accrual. Flexible when sick. Company car with gas paid for. Decent expenses reimbursement. Health benefits are good for employees, but pricey when you start adding family members.

Cons

The culture has changed after Ray & Jane stepped back from their hands on approach. It's hard to actually use time off since they want you in the field 100% of the time. Hard to open new business in older saturated markets, but Consultants are held to the same opening requirements as new markets. Held accountable for diversion... feel forced to open accounts we know will divert the product just so we can get an opening.

Advice to Management

One of the things that Jane Wurwand, the founder, is proud of is that Dermalogica has done more for empowering women entrepreneurs than many other companies. It's a passion of hers to help women become independent and empowered to take care of their families. Of course this only relates to the Skin Therapists purchasing her product and the women benefiting from the FITE initiative. In the same presentation Jane will brag about the number of women we help daily provide for their families, followed by Ray telling Business Consultants that we are the face of the company, we are on the front lines... we ARE Dermalogica. Yet many of us are living paycheck to paycheck with no hope of meeting unrealistic targets, making a career advance, or even getting a raise that amounts to more than covering the cost of the ever increasing insurance premiums. Managers bully their teams without a break from the beginning of the month to the last day of the month, and you can be sure to be gypped out of a bonus at least once a year due to a technicality or an issue you have no control over. Compensation plans change quarterly, and rarely for the better. There is so much paperwork and busy work that needs to be done that you have to go beyond 40 hours a week to complete it all. Many of us work unpaid overtime late into the night, early mornings and on the weekends just to keep up. Work/life balance is not an option for anyone who wants or needs to hit target.

RSS Feed </> Embed