Dermalogica Reviews

Updated August 15, 2014

1.9

Dan Ginsberg

MEH

I have been working at Dermalogica for more than a year

Pros

Great product line
    Accounts are usually delightful to work with.

Cons

management is terrible
    no accountability for upper management.
    always a severe case of favoritism among-est old heads
    although a diverse company limited diversity in upper management

stop with the blame game tactics.
    stop with the clique tactics
    show a little more appreciation for your employees instead of treating them as if though what they do isn't good enough.

Abusive, atrocious company!!

Former Employee - Business Consultant
    Former Employee - Business Consultant

I worked at Dermalogica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Product is great. Accounts are wonderful to work with. If you have an IDI in your territory it really helps.

Cons

Abusive, micromanagement, no accountability for ridiculous managers, customer service is awful and play the blame game on sales constantly. Consistently making poor decisions and have terrible execution skills.

My advice? Maybe start by reading these and paying attention to them. How many times do people have to write the same thing on here before you actually care and listen?? Please LOOK at your managers and put a system in place for their review!! There is a manager in the Northeast that doesn't ride with her reps, doesn't ever do anything to help her team out, is negative towards her team and the company, lies constantly, throws everyone under the bus to save herself, CUSTOMERS CAN'T STAND HER, doesn't train her new hires(BTW-handing out a form asking new hires how they would assess their new boss' training of them is ridiculous. No rep out there is going to be honest knowing their boss will know it's them!!!). Her BFF(hilarious since she talks negatively about her all the time!!) is her manager and knows exactly what she's all about but let's her get away with it all. How does a manager get away with no travel expenses? But wait, she may have recently been talked to because she just scheduled travel time with all of her reps. This is her M.O. Once she does this she will go back to hanging out doing nothing all day and collecting a paycheck. Wake up and clean out this lazy, no good layer of management. There's a way to save some of your precious money versus harassing the people in the field who actually work!

This job sucks, you make NO money and you will work like a slave

Current Employee - Business Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Consultant

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free products and a company car

Cons

Be prepared to do the job of 5 people. Little to no recognition for a job well done. Scathing conference calls. Terrible pay

Stop giving people busy work. Let them do their jobs and pay them well! Look at your team of managers... Most of them are sipping margaritas by the pool bossing their minions around from a laptop promising to "help" and never coming through. Customer service sucks. Totally unorganized and blame all mistakes on the sales field. No accountability for anything. Worst company EVER.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Abundantly Frustrating

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time for less than a year

Pros

The only pros are working with your assigned accounts. They give you the drive to continue on. Otherwise, most would leave after 2 weeks.

Cons

Corporate communicates with the field in a very negative, belittling, demeaning way.
    Little value placed on resources for the field.
    Nickle and dime you to death on expenses. Ultimately, they just want you to pay for your expenses.
    Upper Management just beats on you regarding numbers on a daily basis.
    More red tape that any US Government process.
    To many layers of mgmt.

Reach out and LISTEN to your folks in the field. Little information at all moves past middle mgmt to upper mgmt. Maybe that is on purpose.
    Invest in up to date resources for your field team.
    Ulta maybe be moving products out of your warehouses, but it's killing the overall image of Dermalogica.
    National Accounts in general need to go BYE BYE. They do not represent the core mission of Dermalogica.

Overall, pleasant company

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Manhattan Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great products
    Love Jane Wurwand
    Decent gratis and benefits
    Work-life balance is ok

Cons

Career path
    Unqualified management
    Need larger car stock and tester budget
    Last minute communication to field regarding sales promos

Hard work doesn't always pay off.

Current Employee - Sales  in  Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get a monthly product allocation. You get a yearly fitness reimbursement up to $250. Benefits aren't horrible. As mediocre as it can be, you do get an annual raise and year-end bonus (something is better than nothing, I guess).

And the owners are the nicest people. Jane is very motivational, Ray is one friendly guy, and as a couple, they are cute, funny, and a great team.

Cons

Growth in the company is very difficult. As hard as you may work, the most you can get is a pat on the back. Rarely do people make significant moves up in the company, and promotions/sufficient raises aren't usually offered until it's too late (as in, it's offered when someone turns in their 2-week notice). Many processes are manual when they shouldn't be. Some managers are passive aggressive, some are disorganized, and some are downright catty. Gossip is commonplace, and personal information that shouldn't be shared gets passed through the grapevine. Some departments impose blackout dates on time off, even SICK TIME (they'll still try to get you to come in - isn't that illegal?). There's a lot of room for improvement, as we have new CEO, but I don't know if it's worth the wait.

Read these reviews and DO something about it. You have a company full of unhappy employees - that's why turnover is so high.

exciting

Current Employee - Business Consultant  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time for more than a year

Pros

if you put 110% effort into the position you will do really well and exceed monthly target. You get out of it what you put into it.

Cons

Just like any other sales position, it is a constant race to hit target.

Awful, awful, awful company to work for

I have been working at Dermalogica

Pros

Great product and education. The product sells itself due to performance and branding. Our support items program and GWP's are very strong.

Cons

Management is terrible. We are micromanaged beyond belief. Our goals are consistently set so we can't hit them. DM's are a joke. Our internal staff needs an overhaul. I will look back on my time spent here and think of it as the darkest period of my career. This company is demotivating and shady. I can't believe you operate this way and still exist. I tell anyone who is listening to run from here. Still don't think that there's anything to the constant turnover?

Try reading these posts and listening to BC's that are leaving. It's beyond ridiculous that HR gets the same feedback over and over again and continues doing the same things. Mightier have fallen. Heed these words because we are letting our accounts know what this company is really about. That, coupled with us having no allegiance to them anymore, is making them look at other lines. Never tick off your sales force...

Depending on which department you work in it can be good and bad

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Dermalogica full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leader with a vision that is very motivating
    FITE intiative
    Current managers in my department are understanding and back us up, but I can't say that for every department
    Management has been accomodating to work/life balance needs
    I've had some tough times here but as management has changed they have improved

Cons

Some departments are a mess and have unrealistic expectations of their employees
    Holidays seem to be disappearing

Take notice. There are some really bad apples that can make the rest of the good workers head for the door. Don't be afraid to cut weak links loose. I've seen people who stay here for years doing nothing while others work extra hard with no recognition.

Company does not deliver on promises, very cheap, not supportive of staff, very petty.

Former Employee - Senior Skin Expert/Therapist  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Skin Expert/Therapist in New York, NY

I worked at Dermalogica full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free products, get paid for taking classes.

Cons

You are not empowered to better the company, everything has to go up to corporate and once it goes there, it's mayhem and you never get an answer back. The raises/bonuses are beyond insulting. It's supposed to be a company that supports/empowers women, right? Why not pay them what they are worth and allow them to grow?

Also, you really killed business opportunities for the estheticians that paid thousands to get an esthetic education when you allowed Ulta to sell your products for a discounted price. Also, when you sell products online with free shipping with orders over $50, you REALLY killed your flagship stores numbers, which cut your employees paychecks because the goals for them didn't go down.

Recognize your top producing employees and appreciate them. Quit micro managing. I would say the management needs to be an esthetician, otherwise they really have no clue as far as protocols/problems.

Worked for Dermalogica? Contribute to the Community!