Dermalogica

www.dermalogica.com

Dermalogica Reviews

Updated May 22, 2014
Dermalogica – Carson – “Corporate HQ”

Dan Ginsberg

Decent gratis and benefits
    Work-life balance is ok

ConsCareer path
    Unqualified management
    Need larger car stock and tester budget
    Last minute communication to field regarding sales promos

Abundantly Frustrating

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsThe only pros are working with your assigned accounts. They give you the drive to continue on. Otherwise, most would leave after 2 weeks.

ConsCorporate communicates with the field in a very negative, belittling, demeaning way.
    Little value placed on resources for the field.
    Nickle and dime you to death on expenses. Ultimately, they just want you to pay for your expenses.
    Upper Management just beats on you regarding numbers on a daily basis.
    More red tape that any US Government process.
    To many layers of mgmt.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out and LISTEN to your folks in the field. Little information at all moves past middle mgmt to upper mgmt. Maybe that is on purpose.
    Invest in up to date resources for your field team.
    Ulta maybe be moving products out of your warehouses, but it's killing the overall image of Dermalogica.
    National Accounts in general need to go BYE BYE. They do not represent the core mission of Dermalogica.

Hard work doesn't always pay off.

Sales (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsYou get a monthly product allocation. You get a yearly fitness reimbursement up to $250. Benefits aren't horrible. As mediocre as it can be, you do get an annual raise and year-end bonus (something is better than nothing, I guess).

And the owners are the nicest people. Jane is very motivational, Ray is one friendly guy, and as a couple, they are cute, funny, and a great team.

ConsGrowth in the company is very difficult. As hard as you may work, the most you can get is a pat on the back. Rarely do people make significant moves up in the company, and promotions/sufficient raises aren't usually offered until it's too late (as in, it's offered when someone turns in their 2-week notice). Many processes are manual when they shouldn't be. Some managers are passive aggressive, some are disorganized, and some are downright catty. Gossip is commonplace, and personal information that shouldn't be shared gets passed through the grapevine. Some departments impose blackout dates on time off, even SICK TIME (they'll still try to get you to come in - isn't that illegal?). There's a lot of room for improvement, as we have new CEO, but I don't know if it's worth the wait.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead these reviews and DO something about it. You have a company full of unhappy employees - that's why turnover is so high.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

exciting

Business Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

Prosif you put 110% effort into the position you will do really well and exceed monthly target. You get out of it what you put into it.

ConsJust like any other sales position, it is a constant race to hit target.

Depending on which department you work in it can be good and bad

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Carson, CA

ProsLeader with a vision that is very motivating
    FITE intiative
    Current managers in my department are understanding and back us up, but I can't say that for every department
    Management has been accomodating to work/life balance needs
    I've had some tough times here but as management has changed they have improved

ConsSome departments are a mess and have unrealistic expectations of their employees
    Holidays seem to be disappearing

Advice to Senior ManagementTake notice. There are some really bad apples that can make the rest of the good workers head for the door. Don't be afraid to cut weak links loose. I've seen people who stay here for years doing nothing while others work extra hard with no recognition.

Awful, awful, awful company to work for

ProsGreat product and education. The product sells itself due to performance and branding. Our support items program and GWP's are very strong.

ConsManagement is terrible. We are micromanaged beyond belief. Our goals are consistently set so we can't hit them. DM's are a joke. Our internal staff needs an overhaul. I will look back on my time spent here and think of it as the darkest period of my career. This company is demotivating and shady. I can't believe you operate this way and still exist. I tell anyone who is listening to run from here. Still don't think that there's anything to the constant turnover?

Advice to Senior ManagementTry reading these posts and listening to BC's that are leaving. It's beyond ridiculous that HR gets the same feedback over and over again and continues doing the same things. Mightier have fallen. Heed these words because we are letting our accounts know what this company is really about. That, coupled with us having no allegiance to them anymore, is making them look at other lines. Never tick off your sales force...

Company does not deliver on promises, very cheap, not supportive of staff, very petty.

Senior Skin Expert/Therapist (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFree products, get paid for taking classes.

ConsYou are not empowered to better the company, everything has to go up to corporate and once it goes there, it's mayhem and you never get an answer back. The raises/bonuses are beyond insulting. It's supposed to be a company that supports/empowers women, right? Why not pay them what they are worth and allow them to grow?

Also, you really killed business opportunities for the estheticians that paid thousands to get an esthetic education when you allowed Ulta to sell your products for a discounted price. Also, when you sell products online with free shipping with orders over $50, you REALLY killed your flagship stores numbers, which cut your employees paychecks because the goals for them didn't go down.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your top producing employees and appreciate them. Quit micro managing. I would say the management needs to be an esthetician, otherwise they really have no clue as far as protocols/problems.

Poorly Managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPart of a dynamic industry, monthly allocation of product

ConsBad leadership, no inter-department communication, under qualified management, evident nepotism

Advice to Senior Managementread these reviews

Good money, high stress, many hours.........

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood money, nice fellow employees, great discount on products

ConsNo work life balence. Pushed hard to make sales quotas. They don't seem to care how much you have to do as long as you bring in the numbers. High turnover

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like you treat your family and yourself

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worst company I have worked for in my career. If you are considering working here, take my advice and don't.

Business Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsThe products are effective and always updated

ConsManagement- all levels in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management in place your field team is leaving and everyone and I mean everyone is unhappy. There are so many levels of management that you would think someone would get it right but I am sorry to say every layer just makes us all confused and feel more disconnected. Emotionally run company and very reactive. My manager has emotional probs and is different every day depending on how things are with her boyfriend. The company is pushing new business and if we don't open new accounts we get fear tactics and yelled at on conference calls. This year it seems like a lot of people have left.... probably due to the recent new upper management that joined last year. The company is really reactive and tells us last minute about different offers. Our sales tools get to us late every month but we need them for sales during the month. My advice is to get organized, get real leaders in place on all levels from District, Regional and National and give us the tools needed to make our numbers instead of being reactive. We all want to make money but can't under the circumstances and don't feel motivated under the current leadership.

Worked for Dermalogica? Contribute to the Community!