Deseret Book Reviews

Updated February 12, 2015
25 reviews filtered by
3.3
Keith B. McMullin

1. My coworkers are like my second family.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Orem, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book part-time (less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were eager to help me adapt to my new job when I first came in, and we welcome new hires like they're our best friends. We work in a good, wholesome environment and it's usually a happy workplace. My manager is very easy to work with when it comes to scheduling and is more than willing to work around my school schedule, and it's easy to get occasional time off. This is my first job and it gave me a good start on retail.

Cons

We are a Christian store (which is a plus) but many of the customers expect us to be pushovers, and some can be really mean. A lot of them come in with the "I want it, therefore you're going to give it to me" mentality. And with all of the negativity you get from people, you can't do anything about it. You have to take it with a smile, and if you can, pass them on to a supervisor to be dealt with. It's also frustrating how I hardly work there during the week. During the Christmas rush, I was working 29 hours per week, which is the max for a part-time associate. But now I'm lucky if I can even get 20. The majority of my coworkers have a second job so they can pay the bills, and I'm having to do the same. If we had a smaller staff, we could each work longer hours.

I think the change in the return policy needs to be better advertised. Most people are still expecting it to be 90 days and get really upset when I can't do a return for them after a month and a half. And calm down on the Platinums. $25 is a lot for most people, especially since most people are only buying $20 worth of stuff.

Company needs fixing

I worked at Deseret Book full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Don't have to work on Sunday (even though many people still do).

Cons

Cultural Beliefs are a joke because nobody knows them or lives them. I was lied to and about more at this company than at any company where I have worked. There are only a few real decision makers, everyone else is supposed to be quiet and do what they are told. Company is very secretive.

Is it time to blow the whole thing up and start over with new leadership?

3. Clean, meaningful, innovative place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people. Amazing benefits. Lots of meaning and purpose in the mission of the company and the products they produce.

Cons

The business is 145 years old and print media still dominates a lot of the decisions since it is still the primary revenue stream. Not a lot of potential to move up in the company.

Lots of the great ideas get squashed at the manager, director, or VP level and never make it to the president who is very innovative and open to ideas. It's too bad.

Corp employee for 10 years

Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of kind sweet people I work with. Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule with PTO.

Cons

Some coworkers are self centered and aren't team players. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you are a single woman. Trust isn't a value that's extended no matter how strong your integrity is. There's a lot of dishonesty on a corporate level. The CEO needs to go as well as just an overall house cleaning.

Respect your people and quit running scared to keep secrets hidden.

6. You cannot serve God and Mammon

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Deseret Book part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to read lots. Nice employee discount. Nice artwork.

Cons

The manager of the store where I worked was dishonest and deceitful. The entire company is driven by the profit motive, so employees are not well-compensated. Much of the stuff sold is obscenely over-priced.

The Church should divest itself of any interest in this company. If the Church wants to stay in the business, it should subsidize the stores so the employees can be paid a living wage and benefits. The company should stop forcing the majority of sales associates from working only part-time, something the company does to avoid providing health insurance and other benefits.

Stay away

I worked at Deseret Book full-time

Pros

You don't have to work on Sundays. That's it!

Cons

The culture is very fake. They say the right things, but nobody does the things that they say. Upper management is very arrogant and they don't care about their people. Act like most of their employees are idiots. Only a chosen few have any chance at advancement. Low pay.

Might be time to clean house and start over again with new leadership.

8. Great place

I have been working at Deseret Book

Pros

The environment , best one I've worked in. Love talking with the customers that come in.

Cons

Pressure to sell the membership and LOW pay.

Recognize that your "lower" employees work hard too.

9. Candy Coated Cockroaches

Current Employee - Bookseller in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Deseret Book part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Uplifting store with uplifting messages. No need for qualifications to be hired. Puts customers first.

Cons

No room for growth, and no full time work except for holiday season. I can't speak for every branch of the store, but where I was hired I experienced the worst treatment I've ever experienced. Instantly I was treated with harsh reprimand when I didn't know something about the store. Gossip and backbiting were a daily occurrence and many of my coworkers made it clear that they didn't like me. I tried my best, but without proper training I never could do a good enough job for them. Take my advice, work anywhere else you possibly can. For a religious store, there is a significant lack of Christlike attitudes. I have three former bosses that say I am a fantastic worker. But my spirit was broken with this company. I can't wait to leave.

Screen the way your workers behave toward each other. Be flexible and understanding. Remove the beam from your eye, before you seek the mote from another.

10. Stay Away

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Deseret Book full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Discounts and friendly staff.

Cons

Upper level management doesn't have a clue.

Stop breaking the law.

11. Great people, awesome location

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The people here are fantastic. I am an intern and I am learning so much; everyone is willing to show me something new if I ask.

Cons

There are no full time positions open at the end of my internship.

Be clear with your interns they likely will not get hired full time at then end of the internship.