Deseret Book Reviews

2.9
Keith B. McMullin

1. Needs some restructuring

I worked at Deseret Book

Pros

Great benefits packages, wonderful co workers

Cons

The whole company (especially the executive team) needs to be restructured. The current company culture does not allow for creative thinkers and professional development because of the inaccessible executive team. I worked there for two years and saw the CEO maybe four times.

Advice to Management

Be more available to your associates and encourage new ideas.

2. Meh

I worked at Deseret Book part-time

Pros

It was a great work environment as far as actual work goes. It was a great option if you're Mormon and wanting to do retail.

Cons

The manager that was over this location when I worked their had her own inner circle and clique. If you weren't part of it, you were treated poorly.

3. Sales Associate

I have been working at Deseret Book part-time

Pros

Everyone who works there is happy and positive. They're willing to help you do your best, and have a good time. Customers are usually very pleasant when they come in as well.

Cons

Pay is 8.20 per hour, but that's not so bad as long as that's what you're expecting. Not very many full time jobs available, so you can't work many hours.

Advice to Management

I think its run very well, I love working there

Tough times ahead

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Deseret Book full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are many really good people that work here, and I made some lasting friendships. Many of the books and resources Deseret book creates are outstanding and have the potential to change lives.

Cons

I fully agree with many of the challenges other reviewers have brought up. Deseret book has great potential, but needs to make a lot of changes in order to do that. Some of the major obstacles come from management adverse to change. The "this is the way we have always done it" mentality. They talk about being open to new ideas, but when it really comes down to it, nothing changes. There is a culture of mistrust all over. Managers not trusting their employees on even little things. The pay is much lower than at other companies, and any benefits we had, have slowly disappeared. The challenging thing lately has been, whenever someone leaves the company, they do not rehire for that position, but instead heap the responsibilities on the remaining few, without any additional compensation. Many I have talked to feel extreme pressure and stress. There is a feeling of not being able to do everything you are expected to do. Everyone is stretched so thin and it seems to just be getting worse. It also feels like many people are recognizing how unappreciated and over worked they feel, and are just waiting for an opportunity to get out. I've seen some really great and talented people leave for many of these reasons.

Advice to Management

I really think the company will have to go through some really tough times before they can be ready for the types of changes that need to be made in order to really be successful. Please take care of your employees. Trust them to do the great work they were hired for. Show them how much you appreciate them. Little things here can go a long way, and it doesn't have to cost that much.

Director

Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Deseret Book (More than 8 years)

Pros

I had a great boss for a few years, but went through six bosses in total and most of them had no experience outside of the company. The benefits were pretty good, but even the benefits got cut while I was there. I also met some very talented and amazing people.

Cons

There are some real problems at Deseret Book that may not be readily visible from the outside looking in. The biggest problem is the culture of distrust and paranoia that starts at the top. For example, the CEO thinks she is being "tuned in to what's really going on" by encouraging people to bring their problems directly to her, instead of encouraging them to work things out directly. This has created a culture of gossip, distrust, and backbiting. It feels like you are on an episode of Survivor. Make your alliances, because without them you will be brought down. Also, there were three rounds of layoffs while I was there, and I saw many people let go without rhyme or reason. The pretense we were given was that "we have to let people go to reduce overhead" but there was never any ongoing management of this and within months they would hire just as many people as before, if not more. So disruptive and impossible to keep momentum. Deseret Book is just not loyal to those who have sacrificed years of their life and put in years of service to help the company grow. There is a belief among upper management that people on the outside of the company "know more" or "are more talented" than those currently working inside the company. I saw more than a few people let go for that reason-- the CEO loves the "flavor of the day" and is easily sold on new people, ideas, or cultural trainings that just don't pan out. In the meantime, dedicated and talented people are let go every year to make room for whatever the "new person/idea" may be. Very sad and not what you would expect from a company that professes to have the values that they do. My advice- stay away.

Advice to Management

You can't have a culture of trust when you trust almost no one. Your extreme paranoia is not healthy and it bleeds its way into the whole organization. This company needs new leadership and vision so badly. Deseret Book has so much potential for good, but not with things as they are now.

7. My coworkers are like my second family.

Current Employee - Bookseller in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Orem, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were eager to help me adapt to my new job when I first came in, and we welcome new hires like they're our best friends. We work in a good, wholesome environment and it's usually a happy workplace. My manager is very easy to work with when it comes to scheduling and is more than willing to work around my school schedule, and it's easy to get occasional time off. This is my first job and it gave me a good start on retail.

Cons

We are a Christian store (which is a plus) but many of the customers expect us to be pushovers, and some can be really mean. A lot of them come in with the "I want it, therefore you're going to give it to me" mentality. And with all of the negativity you get from people, you can't do anything about it. You have to take it with a smile, and if you can, pass them on to a supervisor to be dealt with. It's also frustrating how I hardly work there during the week. During the Christmas rush, I was working 29 hours per week, which is the max for a part-time associate. But now I'm lucky if I can even get 20. The majority of my coworkers have a second job so they can pay the bills, and I'm having to do the same. If we had a smaller staff, we could each work longer hours.

Advice to Management

I think the change in the return policy needs to be better advertised. Most people are still expecting it to be 90 days and get really upset when I can't do a return for them after a month and a half. And calm down on the Platinums. $25 is a lot for most people, especially since most people are only buying $20 worth of stuff.

Company needs fixing

I worked at Deseret Book full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Don't have to work on Sunday (even though many people still do).

Cons

Cultural Beliefs are a joke because nobody knows them or lives them. I was lied to and about more at this company than at any company where I have worked. There are only a few real decision makers, everyone else is supposed to be quiet and do what they are told. Company is very secretive.

Advice to Management

Is it time to blow the whole thing up and start over with new leadership?

9. Clean, meaningful, innovative place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing people. Amazing benefits. Lots of meaning and purpose in the mission of the company and the products they produce.

Cons

The business is 145 years old and print media still dominates a lot of the decisions since it is still the primary revenue stream. Not a lot of potential to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Lots of the great ideas get squashed at the manager, director, or VP level and never make it to the president who is very innovative and open to ideas. It's too bad.

Corp employee for 10 years

Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Deseret Book full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of kind sweet people I work with. Mon-Fri 9-5 schedule with PTO.

Cons

Some coworkers are self centered and aren't team players. Not a lot of room for advancement unless you are a single woman. Trust isn't a value that's extended no matter how strong your integrity is. There's a lot of dishonesty on a corporate level. The CEO needs to go as well as just an overall house cleaning.

Advice to Management

Respect your people and quit running scared to keep secrets hidden.

You cannot serve God and Mammon

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I worked at Deseret Book part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to read lots. Nice employee discount. Nice artwork.

Cons

The manager of the store where I worked was dishonest and deceitful. The entire company is driven by the profit motive, so employees are not well-compensated. Much of the stuff sold is obscenely over-priced.

Advice to Management

The Church should divest itself of any interest in this company. If the Church wants to stay in the business, it should subsidize the stores so the employees can be paid a living wage and benefits. The company should stop forcing the majority of sales associates from working only part-time, something the company does to avoid providing health insurance and other benefits.

RSS Feed </> Embed