Desert Schools FCU

Desert Schools FCU President and CEO Susan C. Frank

Susan C. Frank

Registered Sales Associate

Registered Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsPay for your licenses and flexible schedule. Benefits are good and there is variable comp

ConsThe pay is not competitive and there is very little room for growth. Also the workload is to much.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great because of the employees, not the management.

Back Office (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsFriendly coworkers, fair health benefits, and a strong commitment to serving the community.

ConsMost back office employees have no chance at incentive/bonuses, no matter how productive. Everything is now geared towards sales and if you only support, and don't contribute you don't have a chance at being rewarded. A lot of management hires are based on politics or who know instead of knowledge and actual leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to when employees were the greatest asset and reward the strong performers, regardless of whether they work at the branch or in the basement.

Don't keep their word.

Teller (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsThe interaction with the members. They train you on the basics only.

ConsThey only train you on the basics and then throw you in and expect you to provide services you don't know how to do. They don't keep their word. The managers are paid for not doing any work. They don't have realistic expectations of their employees. Their incentive program is a joke

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to work. Tell the truth keep your word

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Promotes learning and the use of other skill sets

Service Manager (Current Employee)

ProsDesert Schools is a great environment because of its culture. Being a product of Phoenix for 75 years, its involvement in the community and with local charities is second to none. For my role, I found DS to be open to my using other skill sets I have...not for just what I was hired to do. If I've been able to help others, even in other departments, I've taken that initiative and jumped right in. Being that it is a Credit Union...being an employee with financial accounts within the business is easy and convenient.

ConsI find that the compensation at Desert Schools is probably less than the national and regional average.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the nice work. I appreciate that the management at DS has allowed me to show them what I am able to bring to the table. My initiative and desire to not only keep up my skill sets but to also help others when possible is a great perk that my managers have allowed me exercise.

Member Solutions Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsI enjoy working for Desert Schools because it was fun taking care of members issues and the supervisor made it fun place

ConsThe main cons I can say was when a members was disappointed with our service due to an error on their accounts and we were blame for it, when it was their fault.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be there for you employee

Joke

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThey Volunteer with many places

ConsThey do not pay well

Advice to Senior ManagementWho cares what you know just smile and flirt. If you do you could go from analyst to director overnight! Executive managers should habe more insight into what the Senior Managers do and who they promote.

Insane!!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood benefits and hours worked with family. Met some great friends while working there.

ConsThis is a credit union and I think Senior Management forgets that. They tried to compete with banks all the time. Change is good for the better not because some other bank is doing it. That would be the wrong reason to change everything. Promote within you have great hard working employees that would not be so unhappy if you trained and promoted employees. So much money/time is wasted with redundancy. Hire your managers on character and abilities not on familiarity and loudness in your face people who can put up a show.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to remember what it was like to work in the front lines (Teller, MSR's, Managers).
    Get an identity for the credit union and be unique!! I felt like we constantly where copying what the banks where doing instead of doing what worked for us and the MEMBERS who keep us open. Stay on top of technology and most importantly be a CREDIT UNION otherwise change your name to Desert Schools BANK!!

Great experience at DS

Teller (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood pay for the job I did. Opportunities to advance in the company.

ConsNone experienced during my time there.

Ok Company. Boss Horrible

Msr (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGood work environment , Good Benefits,

ConsLots of Payscale changes
    ceiling on bonus rewards
    Poor treatment of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to do their job when managers are verbally harassing their employees. Reports filed, no response.

The Way We Are...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsMany opportunities to advance on retail side of the business. The organization truly wants to provide the best service to members and works at providing tools/resources to help the front line staff better communicate and service members. Outstanding commitment to the community! Really promotes and encourages everyone to get involved in some type of giving back. Offers great benefits.

ConsSome of the systems are so complex that multiple steps must be taken to complete transactions. Some systems are still failry manual - track on spreadsheets.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent and say thank you. Some of the senior management are awesome! They openly recognize and celebrate their teams' successes giving credit where due. They develop and invest in their teams.

Worked for Desert Schools FCU? Contribute to the Community!