Design Within Reach

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Edelman

Great company with a good culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsGreat CEO. Great coworkers. Amazing products.

ConsLike any large in house organization, there are too many opinions and not enough decision makers. Drama makes work a little difficult at times.

Strong leadership with a passion for design

Inventory (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsWorking at DWR has been one of the best experiences of my life. Strong leadership across all departments, with lots of opportunities for employees to grow. You can tell that both the President and CEO are very passionate and knowledgable about the product. One of the great benefits of working for a company the size of DWR is that you get to work and interact closely with all the other departments. This helps build a great cross functional relationship throughout the entire company.

ConsNothing negative to say. Enjoyed my experience here.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe product and the new Studios look amazing. Keep up the great leadership.

Great place to learn about design, fast pace, high pressure sales

Studio Account Executive (Former Employee)

ProsBeautiful product and well designed working environment. If you work hard you can advance quickly.

ConsThe culture is competitive. Regions fight to get the best sales leading to backstabbing. If you have an experienced manager this is easier to deal with. High turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not use scare tactics and threaten to fire employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Energetic and encouraging workspace

Web Team (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsEasy to collaborate with others, exciting new projects, interesting minds to work with

ConsNothing at all to say

Best Place I've Ever Worked

IT Support (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsEach department at HQ is run differently, I can't speak for the sales teams (account executives) but life at HQ was great. All the employees are interesting and unique in their own ways, really just a great group of people. I never had any issue with management in my dept but I know other areas weren't so lucky. As a whole the company is newish and open to new ideas, they're not set in their ways and are always looking for ways to improve. The office environment is great, amazing furniture everywhere. The company as a whole is doing amazing, sales goals are almost always exceeded.

ConsI've heard some HR nightmare stories from other employees but as Judge Judy would say "that's heresay" so I won't bother with any details.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow remote workers. ;)

DWR: Just like high school, but somehow much worse

Studio Operations (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThe only pros at DWR are if you're in the clique that sits together and eats together for lunch. Seriously, this place might as well just have a bell that rings to signal a shift to another area of the building. If you're not in the cool kids group, forget about ever receiving a promotion, being recognized for anything you do or even being acknowledged by the CEO. Management at the top basically just shuffle titles around and look down on anyone who's not a VP. And VPs? There are many!!

The CEO likes to walk around the office and tell people about his humble beginnings as a "worm farmer" when in reality he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a compound to call his own.

ConsEverything about working at DWR is a con and that's exactly what it is: A CON! In the interview, they promise the world to candidates, telling them how they promote from within and how it's all about team work etc...Lies. It's all lies. It's all about who you know, who likes you, who likes the shoes you're wearing and where you live. The Human Resources Department is a complete and total joke, run by an overstaffed bunch of women who are their own clique. It's amazing. I had a sexual harassment conflict, told HR about it in confidence. A few days later, they turned around and told me it wasn't harassment at all and to get back to work. The awards they've won are a total sham.

DWR is a terrible place to work. Do not work there. Even if you don't want to move up and achieve more, you'll be completely miserable there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice? Don't be terrible to the people who work at your company. Show some basic respect and decency. This isn't high school, it's only run like one.

It's a great way to make sales and meet interesting people, both clients and coworkers.

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGet to design, be creative, make a good salary and meet interesting clients.

ConsYou have to work weekends.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring more comraderie between studios.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good experience, weird place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHad the opportunity to work on a high profile brand. Gain some experience, and build the resume. It's a cool brand, and they do a lot of cool tie-ins with other cool brands and partnerships.

ConsA lot of undeserved promotions at the top. Top heavy company. Never seen so many VPs at a company this size, which seems crazy wasteful.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs others have said, reward the hard workers, not the schmoozers.

Greatest Job Experience I've Had!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsThe atmosphere is perfect, the company is growing, everyone is nice to work with. Interior growth is totally within reach at Design Within Reach.

ConsThe only issues are that people seem to be posting some inaccurate reviews on this website.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should continue to expand on the goals of the company.

Worst job experience of my life; fired for being hospitalized for three days

Corporate Receptionist (Former Employee) Stamford, CT

ProsConvenient commute, nothing more than that.

ConsHR department is extremely unprofessional- the company does not even deserve one star after the way I was treated. Good luck to the next individual who fills my position. Have fun doing everyone's dishes and making coffee.

Advice to Senior ManagementBaffled as to how the Human Resource department won the "2012 HR Team of the Year Award" when I was fired by my supervisor (and not contacted by anybody in HR about the circumstances) while in the hospital with a terrible stomach infection. I was told a temp would be covering the days I would be out and than received an unexpected phone call to let me know that the company no longer wanted to continue a relationship with me as I was a financial burden and they could "not afford" a temp- regardless of the paid time off and sick days I am entitled to. All in all, HR's decision was not only unethical and immoral but also extremely unprofessional- since I was told to get better and not to worry about the missed days as a temp was hired until I would return. Being sick is out of ones control and although it states that they understand that in the employee handbook, clearly they
    do not follow their own company handbook policies.

The company should have someone who can be readily available to fill the reception position in case of circumstances like this- as I needed someone to cover my sick days. Rather than blaming me for being a financial burden because I wanted to use sick days I was entitled to with my benefits and than proceeding to fire me. I would say it is not my fault rather HR's fault for being so unorganized.

My supervisor also informed me that the general manager from HR would contact me and she never did nor did she return my phone calls. I would certainly not recommend this company as they clearly do not care about the health and well being of their employees.

Worked for Design Within Reach? Contribute to the Community!