Design Within Reach Reviews

Updated July 24, 2014
Updated July 24, 2014

2.9

John Edelman

Great company with a good culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great CEO. Great coworkers. Amazing products.

Cons

Like any large in house organization, there are too many opinions and not enough decision makers. Drama makes work a little difficult at times.

pretty on the outside, ugly on the inside

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation was respectable, set salary plus commission, which made the environment more curatorial rather than pushy sales.
    Enjoyed sharing history and solutions with clientele.
    Entrepreneurial environment, did not clock in, fill out sales logs, or hard sell.
    Overall one could be authentic.
    A genuine approach led to great sales.

Cons

Lack of teamwork and back stabbing.
    Corporate office with no real sense of studio needs, customer service and making things right.
    Extreme passive-aggressive behavior offering help with empty words not action.
    Tone changed to aggressive sales, scripted conversations, sales logs, clocking in.
    Constant restructuring of compensation.
    Overworked and not granted time off.

Perhaps the acquisition by Herman Miller could change the inherent issues and corporate culture.

Strong leadership with a passion for design

Former Employee - Inventory  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Inventory in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working at DWR has been one of the best experiences of my life. Strong leadership across all departments, with lots of opportunities for employees to grow. You can tell that both the President and CEO are very passionate and knowledgable about the product. One of the great benefits of working for a company the size of DWR is that you get to work and interact closely with all the other departments. This helps build a great cross functional relationship throughout the entire company.

Cons

Nothing negative to say. Enjoyed my experience here.

The product and the new Studios look amazing. Keep up the great leadership.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn about design, fast pace, high pressure sales

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful product and well designed working environment. If you work hard you can advance quickly.

Cons

The culture is competitive. Regions fight to get the best sales leading to backstabbing. If you have an experienced manager this is easier to deal with. High turnover.

Do not use scare tactics and threaten to fire employees.

Energetic and encouraging workspace

Former Employee - Web Team  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Web Team in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy to collaborate with others, exciting new projects, interesting minds to work with

Cons

Nothing at all to say

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Former Employee - IT Support  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than a year

Pros

Each department at HQ is run differently, I can't speak for the sales teams (account executives) but life at HQ was great. All the employees are interesting and unique in their own ways, really just a great group of people. I never had any issue with management in my dept but I know other areas weren't so lucky. As a whole the company is newish and open to new ideas, they're not set in their ways and are always looking for ways to improve. The office environment is great, amazing furniture everywhere. The company as a whole is doing amazing, sales goals are almost always exceeded.

Cons

I've heard some HR nightmare stories from other employees but as Judge Judy would say "that's heresay" so I won't bother with any details.

Allow remote workers. ;)

DWR: Just like high school, but somehow much worse

Former Employee - Studio Operations  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Studio Operations in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only pros at DWR are if you're in the clique that sits together and eats together for lunch. Seriously, this place might as well just have a bell that rings to signal a shift to another area of the building. If you're not in the cool kids group, forget about ever receiving a promotion, being recognized for anything you do or even being acknowledged by the CEO. Management at the top basically just shuffle titles around and look down on anyone who's not a VP. And VPs? There are many!!

The CEO likes to walk around the office and tell people about his humble beginnings as a "worm farmer" when in reality he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a compound to call his own.

Cons

Everything about working at DWR is a con and that's exactly what it is: A CON! In the interview, they promise the world to candidates, telling them how they promote from within and how it's all about team work etc...Lies. It's all lies. It's all about who you know, who likes you, who likes the shoes you're wearing and where you live. The Human Resources Department is a complete and total joke, run by an overstaffed bunch of women who are their own clique. It's amazing. I had a sexual harassment conflict, told HR about it in confidence. A few days later, they turned around and told me it wasn't harassment at all and to get back to work. The awards they've won are a total sham.

DWR is a terrible place to work. Do not work there. Even if you don't want to move up and achieve more, you'll be completely miserable there.

Advice? Don't be terrible to the people who work at your company. Show some basic respect and decency. This isn't high school, it's only run like one.

It's a great way to make sales and meet interesting people, both clients and coworkers.

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get to design, be creative, make a good salary and meet interesting clients.

Cons

You have to work weekends.

Bring more comraderie between studios.

Good experience, weird place

I worked at Design Within Reach as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Had the opportunity to work on a high profile brand. Gain some experience, and build the resume. It's a cool brand, and they do a lot of cool tie-ins with other cool brands and partnerships.

Cons

A lot of undeserved promotions at the top. Top heavy company. Never seen so many VPs at a company this size, which seems crazy wasteful.

As others have said, reward the hard workers, not the schmoozers.

Greatest Job Experience I've Had!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach part-time for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is perfect, the company is growing, everyone is nice to work with. Interior growth is totally within reach at Design Within Reach.

Cons

The only issues are that people seem to be posting some inaccurate reviews on this website.

They should continue to expand on the goals of the company.

Worked for Design Within Reach? Contribute to the Community!