Design Within Reach

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.9

John Edelman

Great place to learn about design, fast pace, high pressure sales

Former Employee - Studio Account Executive
    Former Employee - Studio Account Executive

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Beautiful product and well designed working environment. If you work hard you can advance quickly.

Cons

The culture is competitive. Regions fight to get the best sales leading to backstabbing. If you have an experienced manager this is easier to deal with. High turnover.

Do not use scare tactics and threaten to fire employees.

Energetic and encouraging workspace

Former Employee - Web Team in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Web Team in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to collaborate with others, exciting new projects, interesting minds to work with

Cons

Nothing at all to say

Best Place I've Ever Worked

Former Employee - IT Support in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - IT Support in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Each department at HQ is run differently, I can't speak for the sales teams (account executives) but life at HQ was great. All the employees are interesting and unique in their own ways, really just a great group of people. I never had any issue with management in my dept but I know other areas weren't so lucky. As a whole the company is newish and open to new ideas, they're not set in their ways and are always looking for ways to improve. The office environment is great, amazing furniture everywhere. The company as a whole is doing amazing, sales goals are almost always exceeded.

Cons

I've heard some HR nightmare stories from other employees but as Judge Judy would say "that's heresay" so I won't bother with any details.

Allow remote workers. ;)

DWR: Just like high school, but somehow much worse

Former Employee - Studio Operations in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Studio Operations in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The only pros at DWR are if you're in the clique that sits together and eats together for lunch. Seriously, this place might as well just have a bell that rings to signal a shift to another area of the building. If you're not in the cool kids group, forget about ever receiving a promotion, being recognized for anything you do or even being acknowledged by the CEO. Management at the top basically just shuffle titles around and look down on anyone who's not a VP. And VPs? There are many!!

The CEO likes to walk around the office and tell people about his humble beginnings as a "worm farmer" when in reality he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and a compound to call his own.

Cons

Everything about working at DWR is a con and that's exactly what it is: A CON! In the interview, they promise the world to candidates, telling them how they promote from within and how it's all about team work etc...Lies. It's all lies. It's all about who you know, who likes you, who likes the shoes you're wearing and where you live. The Human Resources Department is a complete and total joke, run by an overstaffed bunch of women who are their own clique. It's amazing. I had a sexual harassment conflict, told HR about it in confidence. A few days later, they turned around and told me it wasn't harassment at all and to get back to work. The awards they've won are a total sham.

DWR is a terrible place to work. Do not work there. Even if you don't want to move up and achieve more, you'll be completely miserable there.

Advice? Don't be terrible to the people who work at your company. Show some basic respect and decency. This isn't high school, it's only run like one.

It's a great way to make sales and meet interesting people, both clients and coworkers.

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Get to design, be creative, make a good salary and meet interesting clients.

Cons

You have to work weekends.

Bring more comraderie between studios.

Good experience, weird place

I worked at Design Within Reach as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Had the opportunity to work on a high profile brand. Gain some experience, and build the resume. It's a cool brand, and they do a lot of cool tie-ins with other cool brands and partnerships.

Cons

A lot of undeserved promotions at the top. Top heavy company. Never seen so many VPs at a company this size, which seems crazy wasteful.

As others have said, reward the hard workers, not the schmoozers.

Greatest Job Experience I've Had!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is perfect, the company is growing, everyone is nice to work with. Interior growth is totally within reach at Design Within Reach.

Cons

The only issues are that people seem to be posting some inaccurate reviews on this website.

They should continue to expand on the goals of the company.

Worst job experience of my life; fired for being hospitalized for three days

Former Employee - Corporate Receptionist in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Corporate Receptionist in Stamford, CT

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Convenient commute, nothing more than that.

Cons

HR department is extremely unprofessional- the company does not even deserve one star after the way I was treated. Good luck to the next individual who fills my position. Have fun doing everyone's dishes and making coffee.

Baffled as to how the Human Resource department won the "2012 HR Team of the Year Award" when I was fired by my supervisor (and not contacted by anybody in HR about the circumstances) while in the hospital with a terrible stomach infection. I was told a temp would be covering the days I would be out and than received an unexpected phone call to let me know that the company no longer wanted to continue a relationship with me as I was a financial burden and they could "not afford" a temp- regardless of the paid time off and sick days I am entitled to. All in all, HR's decision was not only unethical and immoral but also extremely unprofessional- since I was told to get better and not to worry about the missed days as a temp was hired until I would return. Being sick is out of ones control and although it states that they understand that in the employee handbook, clearly they
    do not follow their own company handbook policies.

The company should have someone who can be readily available to fill the reception position in case of circumstances like this- as I needed someone to cover my sick days. Rather than blaming me for being a financial burden because I wanted to use sick days I was entitled to with my benefits and than proceeding to fire me. I would say it is not my fault rather HR's fault for being so unorganized.

My supervisor also informed me that the general manager from HR would contact me and she never did nor did she return my phone calls. I would certainly not recommend this company as they clearly do not care about the health and well being of their employees.

Poorly Managed Company

Current Employee - Account Executive in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Stamford, CT

I have been working at Design Within Reach full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy going CEO, decent employee discounts..for those employees who could actually afford the cost of the furniture even at a discounted price!

Cons

Poor management in the Stamford Headquarters, unqualified and inexperienced individuals hold titles without proper training. High turnover rate due to declining sales and overpriced product for today's economy. Various cliques in the Stamford location, which in turn comes with a bunch of annoying gossip throughout the departments. To put it simply, it is not about how hard you work at DWR, rather which employees you have on your good side.

Give credit to those who actually work hard, stop favoring those who do not deserve it; just because they are friendly with employees that of high rank. Hire individuals who have enough experience and are competent enough to complete their duties. Properly train new hires to their assigned position to avoid more mess & disorganization for the company.

Very Competitive

I worked at Design Within Reach full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Discounts on furniture
    * Serving customers who love modern design
    * A beautiful office environment every day

Cons

* Studio sales competition is a negative experience
    * Upper management seems uneducated about retail success strategies
    * Company is poorly structured to deliver benefits to customers
    * Upper management appears cliquey and immature instead of professional