Desire2Learn

John Baker

63 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Greatly enjoyed my time

I have been working at Desire2Learn as an intern for less than a year

ProsMet a lot of very interesting co-workers
Great office environment
Got to participate in some interesting tasks
Dogs in the office!

ConsSometimes had to work on overly simple tasks
Seemed to be a bit of office politics going on in the background

A cruel place for sales...it is not as it appears!

Senior Enterprise Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Desire2Learn full-time for more than a year

ProsYou may like the marketplace in which they are in, however you will duped by how unattached to reality the management team is here.

ConsToo many to really go over, but you WILL be let-go with no explanation, warning or relation to anything sales related at some point at around the 6-12 month point, 50-70% of the time a sales person is let-go. I still work here, but have seen dozens of people let-go in my time here, which has been short. If you are thinking of taking a sales position here, do yourself a favor and contact some past sales reps, you will not find one positive experience! Reps have been let-go for asking one wrong question in a meeting, not bowing to the egos at the top or not part of the "click". If you are more than 10 miles out of the HQ, you have another hurdle to contend with. This place is truly cruel the way it treats their sales team and they seem almost proud...trust me...call ex-reps to learn more because this place will set you back!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing with people's lives and careers like it is a game!

Good Potential - but the time has come to "step up the game" or the opportunity will be lost

I worked at Desire2Learn full-time for more than a year

Pros* Visionary CEO
* Company has made recent in roads to many new markets and verticals
* Company recognized as a thought-leader - the one to watch
* Cool Offices - nice events
* Company has attracted many wonderful and seasoned people recently - which they seriously needed
* Loyal and enthusiastic customers
* Some amazing and dedicated people

Cons* CEO needs to step back - company too large now for constant involvement in multiple ares/departments
* Wages mediocre compared to marketplace
* Company needs to act it's age & size - products need to mature as well
* Senior Management skills and experience spotty - some great - some need to be replaced
* A family business
* Company struggling with becoming a bigger organization - too many influences from the past - old guard needs to let go - trust the new folks they have attracted or those folks will soon move on, frustrated with the inability to make the contribution and differences they were asked, and brought in to do during the interview - it's already happening

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have made it to the "big leagues" - you've got some of the talent you were lacking (not all of it yet) and you have the market's attention. Don't stumble now. Listen to the people you have brought in, make tough decisions about some of the folks who have been around a while and act your age and size

Really awesome! This is a great place to work for a co-op job!

I worked at Desire2Learn

ProsReally awesome people, awesome environment, awesome projects to work on, and I had a really fun time on my first co-op experience. I learn't a lot from this company, and I really thank them for hiring me.

ConsI really didn't find any downsides, I had a lot of fun.

A serious disappointment

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Desire2Learn full-time for more than a year

Pros- Snacks are occasionally provided
- There are some smart people here
- Desire2Learn looks good on your resume
- If you are one of Jon Baker's friends then you are set for life

Cons- Management seem entirely clueless
- The recent reorg in Prod Dev seemed more like a coup than a well planned business decision
- Most the voices of dissent were "let go" so now all we have left are 'yes' men in management
- The production code is terrible, there's lots of legacy mess, and very little automated testing
- Management claim to value quality, but are constantly pushing for quantity

Advice to Senior ManagementPick one thing, and do it very very well. Don't try to be everything to everyone, because it isn't working. Speak to your customers and really understand what they want BEFORE making decisions and if you really want to hire the best then you've got to reward them with a good compensation and some real recognition.

Fast-moving company, great people

I have been working at Desire2Learn full-time for less than a year

ProsAbsolutely everyone there is great to work with, from the highest levels down. Great location in downtown Kitchener with lots of good restaurants and main street within walking distance. Free bagels and snacks. The open culture really means something; you can go talk to anyone about any problem, and they are always willing to help.

ConsIt can be a challenge to build on your experience by taking on projects that that are outside of your role.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue making good decisions and focus on building a scaleable company. Don't get too big too fast, but work with what you have as much as possible.

Amazing company with amazing people

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Desire2Learn full-time for more than a year

Pros- Snacks on a daily basis
- Ability to work from home
- The people are all great
- Young, fun culture
- Lots of opportunity to move around

Cons- Recent hirings of tons of OpenText/BB senior level employees changing company culture
- Recent structural/organizational changes made a lot of people nervous

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the young/fun culture, but compensate your employees appropriately. People will leave if they feel they are not being taken care of and valued for what they do ($ wise and otherwise). Stop hiring for the sake of hiring - we don't need 4 directors in a department, or tons of "visionaries" who make changes for the sake of making them.

This is a great company with amazing top leadership (John, Brandon, Dennis) - don't change your company identity because of what you're supposed to be based on the opinions of former BlackBerry and Open Text employees.

A Transforming Company

I worked at Desire2Learn

ProsVisionary CEO, great company culture, perks

ConsLow compensation, a family business, lack of a strategic management plan, too much CEO involvement in execution in all aspects of operations, disoriented sales teams, very little Agile experience within development teams, working long hours is expected

After the recent restructuring, and resulting layoffs, D2L will continue to evaluate its operational effectiveness as new strategies mature. Approach job opportunities with caution.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplementing Agile is the first step to transforming D2L as a modern software company. D2L's next step is to implement a strategic management plan which will help harmonize all departmental activities throughout the organization. This will enable Mr. Baker to return to his visionary role that has made D2L the successful company that it is today.

Things seem to be headed in the right direction

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Desire2Learn full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat group of people to work with in my department. The department i'm in is very social and people seem to get along great. Lots of inter-departmental fun activities and social events - all you need to do is be involved.

ConsThere has been some negativity in the last little while but it seems like everyone is jumping on the negativity bandwagon. The company has grown significantly over the last little while and it seems like they are taking the time to make sure everyone is a good fit. Not everyone has worked out. It happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts ok to continue to have fun - just because the company is growing, doesn't make so that you have to act like you run a large company. Keep the fun going!

Great potential, but ultimately very disappointing to work here.

I have been working at Desire2Learn full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the best and smartest people I've ever worked with! Snacks, of course. Visits from dogs. Cool building. Central location and parking spots are provided downtown. The social committee puts on some great and creative events, and the christmas party is unparalleled.

ConsSalaries aren't great. Information isn't shared across departments and isn't shared by management. Poor career advancement and occasionally deliberately holding people back for political reasons. Low opportunities for training. Thankless.

Advice to Senior ManagementBlindsiding the employees who were let go was disrespectful towards people who gave their all to the company - didn't they deserve to be able to plan their financial and employment situation with a little lead time? Especially at Christmas time where there's extra expenditures and not much hiring.

Not informing remaining employees in a consistent manner about the restructuring and layoffs was unconscionable - employees were awaiting deliverables on projects from people who were suddenly not there anymore.

Misleading the media was just ridiculous. But this debacle is just par-for-the course for the way D2L does things.

But aside from that, I was disappointed in the way D2L grew. Managers were promoted and immediately became a 'clique', instead of keeping a flat, collaborative structure. D2L hired the best and brightest workers and then ignored their opinions and recommendations. The culture of this company that started out so great doesn't exist anymore.

Worked for Desire2Learn? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Desire2Learn reviews and ratings in Canada — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Desire2Learn CEO John Baker. All 63 reviews posted anonymously by Desire2Learn employees.