Destination XL Reviews

Bad experience.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Destination XL full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best thing about my two years with DXL was my Regional Manager that is no longer with the company.

Cons

Musical chairs with Regional VPs, Regional Sales Managers and store managers. Constant flux of leadership. Low pay, micromanagement, promises like dangling an apple in front of a horse.

The employees are your work horses. Treat them better.

Store Planning

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA

I have been working at Destination XL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

lots of time off, nice coworkers

Cons

Department heads don't know how to run department

Get rid of the old timers and bring in people that know how to plans and execute new stores

It's ok

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager Operations in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Destination XL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent pay, this store had great leadership, great customers, a lot of training

Cons

Benefits are horrible, only 35hrs, micro-managing, over priced

Relax some, let your managers think creativity, offer better benefits

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Company doesn't respect its employees.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Destination XL full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Selling clothing has a creative aspect that is different from other forms of retail.
    * You get to learn more about the customers' lifestyles and hobbies.
    * It is challenging and fun putting together a wardrobe for a customer.

Cons

* Company has unrealistic expectations regarding sales productivity.
    * Upper management has a 'throw it up against the wall and see if it sticks' approach to leadership.
    * Zero loyalty.

Maybe if you showed a higher regard for your employees, you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate for managers.

Assistant Manager Houston TX

I worked at Destination XL

Pros

There is nothing good about working here

Cons

Worst job ever the DM is unprofessional he has his favorite they tell you that you will work 40 hours and you only get 35 hours. The comission sucks and they the expectation is you sell 3.2 items to every customer. They want you to follow all customers and push sales on them

Hire sales associates to sale and Manager to manage and coach behaviours verses have your managers do both

This company is a sinking ship!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at Destination XL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are no Pro's to working for this company!

Cons

Upper management is in disarray. They focus on unimportant things while leaving the imprtant matters like actually selling and driving business to the wayside.

Change your focus, show loyalty to your employees, listen to what they have to say. Go back to caring about the "99%", not just the "1%", which is what you are trying to do now. Work on being profitable through driving business, so you won't be compelled to come up with excuses for firing long term employees.

Hard but self fulfilling work with little appreciation

I have been working at Destination XL

Pros

The pay is fair based on the area but I earn lower than other store managers in similar markets. This is based partly on cost of living but also the expected revenues for the location. It is a growing company with positive cash low so layoffs and bankruptcies are very unlikely. The company spends a lot of time and money training new store managers and assistant managers. It was very beneficial for me although 6 weeks is a long time. Although limited, due to the rapid expansion there are opportunities to advance your career. This will only be if you are a true TOP performer. This is a culture built by and for winners.

Cons

The benefit package is terrible. I pay nearly $800 a month just for major medical, dental, and vision for my wife, daughter, and I. Not only is the health coverage expensive, it offers VERY POOR coverage. It pays hardly anything for basic meds and my wife's pregnancy will nearly be entirely out of pocket in addition to the pre tax Obamian era robbery happening every other week from my paycheck. There is little outward appreciation. I run a top performing store and get a plackard and that's it. Now there is a company wide payroll scale back so floor coverage is decreasing with my peoples pay checks and MY hours are increasing. It is a necessary evil.

Remember we are not the only option. Our guests CAN shop elsewhere and when we have single or double coverage in a large DXL the guest is not getting served properly. We have to find ways to better balance costs savings with guest experience. Take care of your people. People like me are the reason Mr. Reeves, Mr. Levin, and the other senior management can provide brand new Subaru legacys to every regional sales manager this year with two week long all expense paid trips to Florida and Boston within the first. 3 months of fiscal 2014. Remember this when you cut my teams hours and they have a more difficult time paying their bills while you still drive a very nice BMW 7 series.if you are truly seeking the BEST talent, like you claim, be prepared to pay for it and then be there to support them with adequate compensation, quality health insurance, and hope. That's all.

Nice people but dysfunctional organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Canton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Canton, MA

I worked at Destination XL full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice office environment and many good people. Pay scale is fair and benefits are decent, though healthcare is pricey (as many now are). 9 months wait for 401k participation but there is a company match. Company has been trying to create a friendlier culture.

Cons

The company strategy is not well thought out or properly executed. Outdated processes and management practices.

Better cross-functional cooperation.

Basic Review

I have been working at Destination XL

Pros

Cash Flow, Non-stressful main manager, and great co workers

Cons

Poor Management, poor organization, and false hope

Poor treatment of their employee's.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Destination XL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The hours are the only positive aspect of the business. I do not have any other good things to say about this firm.

Cons

DXL does not compensate their employees well. The POS system is in extreme disarray, the technology should be one of the first items they should fix. Upper level management is clueless on the needs of their employees and consumers. The firm should also consider that they are not monopolizing the industry, consumers and competitors is what drives their business.It seems that consumers are being punished because they have a larger waist-line. LOWER YOUR PRICES!!!! ONE of the WORST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR.

Talk with their lower level employees to find out how they can improve their employee retention rate. The competition has extremely lower prices, this company is way to over-priced. The customer service module they are currently using needs to be revamped (very outdated). DXL treats every customer as if they are a thief as well as their employees.

Worked for Destination XL? Contribute to the Community!