Destination XL

Destination XL Reviews

Updated Jun 13, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

This company is a sinking ship!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Natick, MA

ProsThere are no Pro's to working for this company!

ConsUpper management is in disarray. They focus on unimportant things while leaving the imprtant matters like actually selling and driving business to the wayside.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your focus, show loyalty to your employees, listen to what they have to say. Go back to caring about the "99%", not just the "1%", which is what you are trying to do now. Work on being profitable through driving business, so you won't be compelled to come up with excuses for firing long term employees.

Hard but self fulfilling work with little appreciation

ProsThe pay is fair based on the area but I earn lower than other store managers in similar markets. This is based partly on cost of living but also the expected revenues for the location. It is a growing company with positive cash low so layoffs and bankruptcies are very unlikely. The company spends a lot of time and money training new store managers and assistant managers. It was very beneficial for me although 6 weeks is a long time. Although limited, due to the rapid expansion there are opportunities to advance your career. This will only be if you are a true TOP performer. This is a culture built by and for winners.

ConsThe benefit package is terrible. I pay nearly $800 a month just for major medical, dental, and vision for my wife, daughter, and I. Not only is the health coverage expensive, it offers VERY POOR coverage. It pays hardly anything for basic meds and my wife's pregnancy will nearly be entirely out of pocket in addition to the pre tax Obamian era robbery happening every other week from my paycheck. There is little outward appreciation. I run a top performing store and get a plackard and that's it. Now there is a company wide payroll scale back so floor coverage is decreasing with my peoples pay checks and MY hours are increasing. It is a necessary evil.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember we are not the only option. Our guests CAN shop elsewhere and when we have single or double coverage in a large DXL the guest is not getting served properly. We have to find ways to better balance costs savings with guest experience. Take care of your people. People like me are the reason Mr. Reeves, Mr. Levin, and the other senior management can provide brand new Subaru legacys to every regional sales manager this year with two week long all expense paid trips to Florida and Boston within the first. 3 months of fiscal 2014. Remember this when you cut my teams hours and they have a more difficult time paying their bills while you still drive a very nice BMW 7 series.if you are truly seeking the BEST talent, like you claim, be prepared to pay for it and then be there to support them with adequate compensation, quality health insurance, and hope. That's all.

Nice people but dysfunctional organization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Canton, MA

ProsNice office environment and many good people. Pay scale is fair and benefits are decent, though healthcare is pricey (as many now are). 9 months wait for 401k participation but there is a company match. Company has been trying to create a friendlier culture.

ConsThe company strategy is not well thought out or properly executed. Outdated processes and management practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter cross-functional cooperation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Basic Review

ProsCash Flow, Non-stressful main manager, and great co workers

ConsPoor Management, poor organization, and false hope

Poor treatment of their employee's.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours are the only positive aspect of the business. I do not have any other good things to say about this firm.

ConsDXL does not compensate their employees well. The POS system is in extreme disarray, the technology should be one of the first items they should fix. Upper level management is clueless on the needs of their employees and consumers. The firm should also consider that they are not monopolizing the industry, consumers and competitors is what drives their business.It seems that consumers are being punished because they have a larger waist-line. LOWER YOUR PRICES!!!! ONE of the WORST COMPANIES TO WORK FOR.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk with their lower level employees to find out how they can improve their employee retention rate. The competition has extremely lower prices, this company is way to over-priced. The customer service module they are currently using needs to be revamped (very outdated). DXL treats every customer as if they are a thief as well as their employees.

The feeling of being isolated from all corporate people with your only connection is a DM that is a "bully".

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe customers are great. They appreciate your guidance and assistance. Regulars would come to see me as I would always tell them I will not dress you up in items that I would not wear myself.

ConsLow wages, 90% of the time working alone, not enough product to sell to customers, unfriendly supervisors that are insulting to associates.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to and listen to the associates and management staff. The need to filter everything via the DM hinders clear and proper communication.

Great place to work

ProsCommission sales, opportunities to advance, and getting to work with an awesome customer base.

ConsBenefit cost, operating systems need to be updated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to provide the tools for success to your people in the field. Update their systems, give them more hours for better floor coverage, and make more opportunities for training within the regions. Keep listening to us in the field and stay in touch with the client base and their needs.

Great company.

Assistant (Current Employee)
    Irvine, CA

ProsThe guests, hours of operation and new stores

ConsNot much room for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of those employees that are hard working and loyal.

The best retail experience I've ever had.

Guest Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Pittsburgh, PA

ProsWe make bigger guys feel normal. We're the best in the menswear business. We're taking an old-school approach of individual attention and bringing it to the modern guy. Excellent pay for retail. Very positive environment. Training is the best I've ever received. Great brands that bigger guys can't get anywhere else.

ConsThe schedule is retail, so evenings and weekends are required. While we don't practice high-pressure sales, it is definitely an important metric, and is stressed even to non-selling staff. Not someplace to work unless you want to know about menswear and feel comfortable showing high-end goods first.

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining could be even better.

Great Experience no problems with opportunities

Canton, MA

ProsGreat Communication with Management on changes and growth

ConsNot on a public transportation route must have a automobile

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the commication open on the changes and growth of the company

Worked for Destination XL? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Destination XL reviews and ratings. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Destination XL employees.