Detroit Business Consulting

Detroit Business Consulting President Michael Rosenberg
Michael Rosenberg

A great place to start!

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Its an excellent atmosphere and great co-workers. I've never worked any place where the employees are so encouraging of one another. They are funny and energetic. Everyday is filled with new lessons and side pains from laughter.

Cons

Not for anyone with knee, back or foot pain. Extensive walking and standing. I have a severe foot problem and require surgery, due to the fact that i have no medical insurance I can't afford the surgery but I don't regret anything about working on behalf of Children International except having to leave for my own health. Be sure you can physically do the job before starting.

Keep up the energy! You guys are doing great things and going great places!

An incredibly fun, misleading venture.

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere. Incredible people. Made to feel part of the "team." Office nights. Work hard, play hard mentality. Good music blaring in the office.

There is a base pay for the non-profit division.

Cons

During your 3 interview process, the one thing that seems to be excluded is the words "residential canvassing. " Or "door to door" sales.

PAINT A MORE CLEAR PICTURE

Turnover is one of the worst that I have ever seen as a company. I saw upwards of twenty new faces come AND go in my time with DBC. When you can't get people to stay, clearly you need to evaluate within.

Office is dirty, carpets stained, and the lobby is the only place that smells decent.

Travel to the "field" comes out of your pocket daily. I was spending upwards of $130.00 a week in gas.

Commission.

Give your new hires a small hourly for their first sixty to ninety days/ until they have consecutive weeks meeting/ surpassing quota. That will help keep morale high, and not financially burden them if all the pieces to the puzzle don't fit together right away.

Great People, Great Company

Current Employee - Account Representative in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the atmosphere at DBC. Everyone’s so supportive and caring, and it feels like a big family here. There are plenty of opportunities for personal growth as well as professional growth. It may be hard work for some people, but I love it because I see it as a learning and personal growth opportunity. You get to follow your passion and choose which campaign to work on. The best part is you’ll also get to become friends with your leaders and co-workers. It’s always the people that makes a place special.

Cons

Sales can be intimidating and it’s definitely not for everybody, especially those who are looking for steady income in the beginning. It takes self-motivation, persistence, work ethics, and a long-term vision to succeed in this field.

Keep up the good work and hire the right people!

Professionalism is Nonexistant

Former Employee - Leader
    Former Employee - Leader

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time

Pros

I learned quite a lot about direct sales and marketing. Helped me to break out of my shell by having to speak to random strangers all day.

Cons

Where do I begin? The interview process was only semi transparent, though I generally knew by the time of my job shadow what I was getting into (door-2-door sales). In actuality I was ok with that, though this is definitely a big reason for the high turnover (in my short time there at least 10 people started and quit). What really broke the camels back were following two events:

1. The first occured when a business trip came in from an office located in Washington DC. They came to help train us and give us the opportunity to pick their brains. I felt like I was just about the only one who really welcomed them. Out of all the other Leaders in the office, including management (Christian Swanson and Michael Rosenberg) the welcome was quite cold and underwhelming from a group of people that purports to be high energy and collaborative. The crew from DC eventually informed me that they were literally sleeping on floors or sitting up in chairs and the manager's house. Eventually the girls in the group found a better place to stay, but the guy was stuck with the uncomfortable arrangement of having to wait until 2 or 3 in the morning sometimes to get into the house as the manager refused to give him a key, and also refused to come home at an earlier hour. What a way to treat your business associates!

2. The second event occurred when I read the book "Ringing the Bell: My Life in the Biz." It was basically a history of the direct sales multi-level marketing industry written through the perspective of someone who lived it for several years. It was an eye-opening experience. He details basically exactly what I went through, only he was one of the lucky few who made it to management.

I'm much less stressed now that I've moved on.

Be honest from the very first interview in what the role is. And be a bit more considerate to your employees and colleagues from out of town. Just because someone doesn't work directly for you doesn't mean they aren't useful...that's the whole point of networking.

Based on Lies

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with DBC, you will gain valuable experience in business-to-business sales or fundraising. It's a great way to get your foot in the door and learn about sales techniques.

Cons

There's a few negatives to this company, which far outweigh the benefits.

First of all, the pay is nowhere near what they promise. Instead of making $400-$500 the first few weeks and then $500-$1,000 after that, you're actually looking at $200-$300 the first few weeks and then maybe $300-$500 after that - but because it's all commission (there are no base or benefits - that's a lie) one week you might get $750 and the next only $100. When you first join, you might notice you'll sign up some big accounts that will earn you a lot in commissions - but as time goes by, you'll notice that many of those cancel or turn out to be unserviceable locations, which means you don't earn any commission.

Secondly, you are expected to pay for your own travel, including gas and all the wear and tear on your vehicle. I was spending $150+ each week on gasoline. Because you are an independent contractor, you CAN write off these expenses from your taxes - but the tax write-offs barely make up for anything.

Third, you are frequently asked to pitch run-down areas like Flint or Detroit. The entire time I worked there, I didn't know a single person who pitched either Midtown or Downtown in Detroit... but there were plenty of people who went into rundown areas of Detroit and pitched streets like Livernois, Gratiot Ave, etc.

Fourth, the company culture is just weird and cult-ish. Every morning they practice weird cult-like rituals of getting into little groups or circles, then chanting, hollering, and hooting like teenagers at their high school football game. You're also expected to go to company "team nights" where you have to pay for your own food and drinks... even though you earn crappy commissions and have to pay for your own travel expenses.

Fifth, the management is downright embarrassing... one of the top dogs in the office there is an outright alcoholic.

If you look at many of the people working there, they live with their parents (rent free of course) or have some other comfortable living situation that enables them to AFFORD working at DBC. That's right, you have to AFFORD to work there 50-60hrs a week and earn crap money - half of which will just go toward filling your car with gas. If you're a normal person - say a recent college grad who has to pay student debt and rent - then don't work for DBC. You'll likely fall behind on your bills.

On the Comcast Business campaign, you need to bargain for better commissions for your workers. After cancellations, unserviceable locations, and gas and auto expenses, 90% of people there aren't left with enough money to actually afford to pay for rent, utilities, student debt, etc. Also, stop requiring people spend so much time in run-down areas of Detroit, Flint, etc. where 75%+ of the businesses on your "lead sheet" don't exist.

Very fun place to call home!

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting full-time

Pros

The reason that I love working at DBC is because of the work that they do. To my knowledge, DBC is the only sales and marketing company in Michigan that works with non-profit organizations. So not only am I advancing my career professional, but I am also making a difference everyday helping those who are less fortunate. The opportunity for advancement is really what peaked my interest initially because they have been expanding so rapidly but it's the people that makes this place so special. I truly am excited to walk through the doors everyday because I love the people that I work with and the positive work environment!

Cons

The trainers do have a very strong work ethic and they expect the same out of the people they are training. If you are just looking for a job to get by this place probably isn't a good fit for you. People that aren't self-motivated or driven probably won't do well here.

Sep 5, 2014

Thanks for the honest response

Number One Place

Current Employee - Account Manager in Troy, MI

Pros

This place has it all. The atmosphere, the opportunity, the growth, and most importantly there is living proof that success is just a door away. I have never had as many doors open for me such as meeting owners, watching people get promoted, and the thing that separates DBC AND FP from every other corporation is their open door policy. Where else can you honestly say you can work really hard and its not overlooked. Best decision I ever made.

Cons

There aren't enough DBC AND FP in Michigan.

More potlucks.

Pyramid Scheme

Former Employee - Account Manager in Troy, MI

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The group of people is very fun.

Cons

100% commission, not compensated for travel, take advantage of young college grads

Be more transparent about what the job entails before you "impulse" kids to quit their jobs, or commit to something that is not going to be as financially feasible as you describe.

Definitely not for everyone

Former Employee - Account Representative
    Former Employee - Account Representative

I worked at Detroit Business Consulting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone in the office is nice, you will be made to feel comfortable and the music played in the morning does pump you up for the day. They break down the company in the second interview so if you get a sense this is not for you have a chance to turn it down. But if you don't at least there's office night to get your mind off of it.

Cons

I was lured to this job with the promise of a salaried position, at least that is what is implied when you find the posting. This is most definitely not the case. Everyone starts off entry level Account Rep...meaning door-to-door sales. You get a base pay plus bonuses. The base pay is only $175 a week! I'm not understanding who can live off of this kind of money and if you do not reach your quota you are not even promised the whole base pay. You are then assigned an area where you are walking three separate rounds of the same neighborhood for an estimated five to six hours of walking the streets knocking on doors. This in no way can not be considered safe! Not to mention you are out there late evenings and sometimes on your own. This company seems to prey on young impressionable recent grads who are desperate for a job and cannot see past all the smoke. If you are willing to work for essentially a stipend, giving up your whole day (11:30am-8pm or 9pm) and doing door-to-door sales then this might be for you but i doubt it

Just because you don't consider it telemarketing does not mean you are still essentially doing "cold calls" you are doing door- to- door sales to strangers and this should be specified in your job postings

Sep 5, 2014

I'm sorry the position wasn't for you. I am glad you got a chance to experience our office nights though, they are a blast.

This position is for a lot of people, but most people aren't willing
    ... More

Professional and Inspiring

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Detroit Business Consulting as an intern

Pros

- The environment is awesome, everyone is friendly and willing to aid you when you start in the business.
    - The harder you work, the more you get out of the business. If you give 110%, you will get 110% out of the business.
    - The ladder of success is very climbable is you give that 110%, advancement at DBC is not rocket science.
    - The CEO is very open and intelligent, he will listen to you about anything and will help you to be the best of his abilities.
    - Administration is top notch
    - The assistant managers are sharp, they are very good trainers/developers. They provide good advice and experience in the field.
    - Because it is a young company, the room for growth is incredible. DBC will do great things in the years to come.

Cons

If you don't enjoy working with positive and energetic people, this is not the business for you.

Keep the teaching, training, and development strong, it is the most important part of the business that has produce so many good results for the company.

Sep 5, 2014

Thank you very much! We continue to improve to find the very best

Detroit Business Consulting Photos