Detroit Media Partnership

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joyce Jenereaux

I learned alot about responsibilty, you work independently.

District Manager (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsGood immediate working enviroment. Enjoyed working daily routes with the people

ConsUpper management communication really lacked,

Advice to Senior ManagementInclude all your workers when making decisiions

Good Work Life Balance

ProsGood Benefits for the Most Part. Stay focused and you can make money in sales. You change jobs every 6 month if you want and this is a huge plus and why i have worked here as long as i have.

ConsSuccess in sales is based on who who you work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your people to do their job. Micromanagement isn't needed, unless someone is not performing.

Good Pay - Horrible Environment!!

Advertising Account Executive (Former Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsGreat co-workers who try to stay positive despite all the craziness of middle management. Decent base salary.

ConsCompany changed from family oriented environment to management by threats. Instead of motivating advertising sales staff with incentives, they use micro management and pink slip threats. I worked here for over 10 years and was very sad to see the culture change so drastically.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your sales force with kindness and respect. Hire and value mid level managers who actually know how to sell (not text book sales managers). Teach them how to train and motivate a sales force, not achieve goals by creating unhealthy environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disparity

District Representative (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsAs long as your in the circulation department the pay is pretty decent.

ConsOverworked, unappreciated, and untrustworthy -- that's it!

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen there is no trust in management, the morale of your employees suffers as does the type of work s/he is willing to give to your customers and business goals.

Great place to have a career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sterling Heights, MI

ProsThis company has always been very flexible

ConsHaving to drive to Detroit

The stifling and non-progressive environment of this company led to my disappointment and departure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsThere are some talented individuals who work here that were a pleasure to get to know.

ConsPoor communication and lack of teamwork between employees/departments was frustrating as was the lack of planning and expertise of so many people in leadership positions, especially Marketing department staff. Undeserving promotions of people to management positions was disappointing.Technology, systems and programs are behind the times. Un-flexibility with regard to working hours/setting was hypocritical especially when bosses are free to flex their hours and work from home. Morale and appreciation is severely lacking. Downsizing announcement came to us via email from the CEO with no individual follow-up/explanation from our own supervisor/boss. Secretive-ness is the name of the game here. There are numerous SOP's/procedures but these are rarely, if ever, enforced. No raises have been offered here in more than 5 years. Older employees forced out and younger, cheaper salary replacements hired. Minimal cross-training and educational opportunities. Gannett is continuing to downsize properties across the US and regionalize work ... sending it to 24/7 centers that operate in the midwest. This is a stuck-in-the-stone ages kind of company that looks to keep plummeting further until its ultimate demise. Steer clear of this place!

Advice to Senior ManagementMuch advice has been given already ...it falls on deaf ears. Train, support, encourage and appreciate your employees. Top talent will continue to leave until you create a more progressive workplace that is open, flexible, supportive, empowering and forward-looking.

Digital Specialist

Digital Specialist (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsLocated downtown which is very neat. The building has a lot of history. Most of the people their are friendly.

ConsManagement is very new and unorganized. Astronomical goals with little to no training for the job at hand. Trying to sell digital products that they are not even capable of representing as a company. Employees are set up to fail. Extreme micro-management both during work hours & after.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to properly train new employees. Coach and mentor employees if they are not achieving goals. Do no micro manage if you want people out selling.

project leader

Project Leader (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

Prosi have been working here for twenty years

Consno prospect of growth here

Advice to Senior Managementlook for alternative revenue resources

Fair to Employees

Manager (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsCare about people, good place to grow. Lots of freedom to innovate. Invests in training and horizon projects. Forward-thinking.

ConsNewspapers have history - both positive and negative.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive ideas time to grow and give the market time to adapt to industry changes.

Great Place To Work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Detroit, MI

ProsManagement is very flexible with work/family balancing as well as listening and acting on ideas from employees. They promote cross-culture communication and want to hear from everyone equally. All employees are notified of open positions within the company and encourage to apply whenever interested in order to provide growth opportunities.

ConsThey tend to pay on the low end of the competitive scale and the only way to get a raise is to change positions or titles.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your plans time to take fruition before changing it up.

Worked for Detroit Media Partnership? Contribute to the Community!