Detroit Medical Center

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work atmosphere!

RIM (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

Prosgreat work life balance. amazing staff and coworkers. management and executives are always present. passionate staff. potential for advancement. great benefits.

Conscommunication is sometimes lacking. boring work. late hours.

Good Job before Vanguard Tenet Acqusition

Detroit, MI

ProsGreat Benefits and growth within the organization is/was relatively easy. Great Tuition reimbursement and Employee perks.

ConsRecent layoff and pay freezes have decreased employee moral. Much older work environment which often times makes work dull and mundane.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminating new processes and strategies to get the younger work population involved and enthused about working for DMC. Laying off people and loading the remaining employees with more work for less money is causing burnout, and decreasing employee moral and employer loyalty.

Great Place to Work

Detroit, MI

ProsBenefits, compensation, time-off policies, co-workers, location

ConsAdvancement, retirement plan, cubicles, increase limits

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was GOOD EXPERIENCE

Payroll (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsGood company to work for. I was promoted five times. The culture is diverse. My working experience was pleasant.

ConsThey have a good benefit package. Most positions now are either part time or contingent for entry level. Company under restructure.

You’re on your own

Detroit, MI

ProsThere are some Great people working here it’s too bad management is unaware who they are. Great health insurance. Flexible work schedule.

ConsNo communication from management on any level, unless your part of the click. It’s true that, it’s NOT what you know, it’s who you know.
    Some management spending too much time trying to make themselves look good, they are unable or unwilling to answer the simplest question as it pertains to those they are managing.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to communicate, provide education or educational resources.

Its not what you know, but WHO you know

Detroit, MI

ProsDiverse work environment, the opportunity to interact with different types of people. Hospital security is the best at what they do, they encourage a safe work environment.

ConsEmployee engagement is awful, employees are not recognized for their hard work unless they are a part of " the in crowd", or the friends and family program. Too much nepotism, and it causes a very unfair working environment. Management is selected by if they are liked or not by the upper management. HR is biased as well. Everchanging without consistency. Overall just not a place to work if you are used to being in a hardworking fair environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be provided with CEUs (continuing educational units) throughout their journey as management. Just because you hold the title does not mean you are the best at what you do, Practice compassion and humility, which will help when engaging with employees, and improve employee morale.

My experience in the last 8 years, at the DMC has been educational, compassionate, and friendly.

Patient Access Representative (Current Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsThe management team at the DMC, was informative, accurate, and persistant.

ConsEmployees that were not team players, misinformed, lazy, non compliant, and shows no compassion to the sick, elderly, or grieving visitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe proud of your staff, investigate any complaint, make sure your employee was informed of the situation at hand, to assure an honest miscommunication that can be rectified.

I started as a volunteer and worked my way up to coordinator.

Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsThere are many doors that can be opened at the DMC if you have the right individuals behind you to encourage and elevate your career. The exposure is wonderful. The reason I went to DMC was to help my daughter with her education of being a pathologist, my plan was to keep a foot in the door for her to eventually get in to. I learned a lot.

ConsRestructuring of departments happened a lot. I never seen where the results accomplishment what they were designed to do. Employees get anxious when they are turned topsy- turvy with no real goal or benchmarks set.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have a concrete plan implement it in writing from start to finish.

A fine place to learn

Process Improvement (Current Employee)

ProsA Great place to learn

ConsA very Large facility without direct leadership engagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on the employee engagement.

Challenging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Detroit, MI

ProsSalary is better than most other hospitals in the metro area. Tuition reimbursement is a great perk.

ConsPoor leaders in place, creates a very poor employee morale. In cases where HR is involved, they are not helpful either. Too much nepotism, causing good employees to get overlooked for promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink business not personal. Engage with all employees, not just management. Continuously train managers throughout their career to develop strong leaders.

Worked for Detroit Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Detroit Medical Center reviews and ratings in Detroit, MI — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Detroit Medical Center CEO Joe Mullany. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Detroit Medical Center employees.