Detroit Medical Center

Updated September 24, 2014
Updated September 24, 2014

Detroit Medical Center CEO Joe Mullany
Joe Mullany

A lot of improvements need to be made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They are located in the heart of Midtown Detroit so you are close to a lot of events and activities. Positions are pretty stable, depending on the department. Pay is decent as well as employee perks

Cons

Management needs better, quality training. The building I worked in was very very old and outdated. Benefits can be sky high and there is no room for growth whatsoever. Nurses in certain facilities can be very rude and nasty.

You need better training on how to be better managers.

This place Sucks!

Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Radiologic Technologist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

NONE! But since u are making me say something I guess that I at least have a job after all of the changes

Cons

No room for advancement. Low pay. Not enough staff. Poor work conditions. Unsafe for workers and patients. Run the other way if ever thinking of greeting a job here

DMC is top heavy. Tenet needs to fire some management people and hire more workers. Make our pay more competitive to other local hospitals.

Selling hospital system to Vanguard, destroyed it for employees

Former Employee - No  in  Commerce Township, MI
    Former Employee - No in Commerce Township, MI

I worked at Detroit Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Vanguard did build a new hospital in Detroit which was good for the community however....the hospitals outside of Detroit were treated like step children.

Cons

I was let go, along with many experienced staff. The geriatric clinic where I was employed was shuttered, deserting hundreds of elderly patients, telling them to drive from north-western Oakland County to downtown Detroit for their care at the Rosa Parks Geriatric Clinic. Rosa Parks Geriatric Clinic is an award winning center, however; anyone who works with seniors, knows they will not drive over 30 miles to see a doctor in a city with a reputation that isn't the greatest. Many experienced staff from nurses to social workers to management were let go and the entire staff became vigilant as their teams shrunk and they were expected to do more for the same pay. Moral remains poor among staff from talking to people who remain employed at DMC.

Bring back the small geriatric clinic to Huron Valley Sinai Hospital. The clinic may not have made a significant profit but it saved the hospital from unnecessary ER visits and re-admits. The patients who frequented the clinic rarely used the ER. They came to the geriatric clinic where they were treated and sent home. Tests were done, prescriptions were written and patients who needed to be admit were usually taken to their rooms with a direct admit, avoiding the ER entirely. The Baby-boomers were just starting to come into the clinic when it was closed. This small clinic served this community and had an excellent reputation. When encountering former patients and their families, they still feel deserted and many chose not to stay with the DMC system. A big loss for everyone....

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's ok

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center

Pros

Easy, teamwork, and consistent fast pace

Cons

No room for advancement at all

Treat all employees fairly

DMC-ER Nurse

Current Employee - RN  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - RN in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I'm still thinking if one

Cons

Nurse:patient ratio in the ER 1:6 but 1:10-12 when it really busy

Get more staff members and get a management team that can help when it's busy

Very corporate and strict.

Current Employee - HIM Processor II  in  Madison Heights, MI
    Current Employee - HIM Processor II in Madison Heights, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay for education tuition up to $1,600 a year. Full time/part time benefits.

Cons

Lay offs, no room for advancement, low pay

Great work atmosphere!

Current Employee - RIM  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - RIM in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center part-time for less than a year

Pros

great work life balance. amazing staff and coworkers. management and executives are always present. passionate staff. potential for advancement. great benefits.

Cons

communication is sometimes lacking. boring work. late hours.

decent pay but terrible management

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

wages are fair and willing to work with schedules

Cons

There is no room for advancement and management has to much power.

Good Job before Vanguard Tenet Acqusition

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great Benefits and growth within the organization is/was relatively easy. Great Tuition reimbursement and Employee perks.

Cons

Recent layoff and pay freezes have decreased employee moral. Much older work environment which often times makes work dull and mundane.

Eliminating new processes and strategies to get the younger work population involved and enthused about working for DMC. Laying off people and loading the remaining employees with more work for less money is causing burnout, and decreasing employee moral and employer loyalty.

It was GOOD EXPERIENCE

Former Employee - Payroll  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Payroll in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Medical Center full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good company to work for. I was promoted five times. The culture is diverse. My working experience was pleasant.

Cons

They have a good benefit package. Most positions now are either part time or contingent for entry level. Company under restructure.

Worked for Detroit Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!