Detroit Regional Chamber Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Sandy K. Baruah

1. The Detroit Regional Chamber makes a difference in the community.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Detroit Regional Chamber full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They make a difference. They care about their employees. Great 401k and health care plans. MPC is the best event around.

Cons

Limited number of executive positions and opportunity for growth. VP's stay a long time and few openings exist. Downtown traffic and parking can be a drag.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Move the needle.

2. Great organization, great people, great benefits!!!

I have been working at Detroit Regional Chamber full-time

Pros

The Chamber is a great organization to learn and grow. It has been a great experience for me personally. I have been given the opportunity to expand my own knowledge and skills which has ultimately aided in my career growth at the Chamber. The Chamber has supported my ongoing professional development endeavors. It has also proven to be a great family friendly organization as I have been able to find a balance between work and family responsibilities. In fact, one of the Chamber's Guiding Principles is, "A Balance of Work & Self". I could not imagine where my career would be today if I had not worked at the Chamber.

Cons

I know it's unrealistic to say that your workplace is without flaws, however, I feel that Chamber leadership really does care about staff and making it a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage open communication within the organization. Better communication fosters collaboration and teamwork.

3. Great place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Detroit Regional Chamber full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people working together in a team atmosphere who really believe in the city. Great benefits and 401k match, collaborative and fun workplace culture, good compensation, great work - life balance. Overall a great place to work!

Cons

Some positions require you to work outside regular office hours... especially around Mackinac Policy Conference season

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on keeping employees happy. Great companies are made up of happy employees.

5. Zero goals and zero results from the top down.

I worked at Detroit Regional Chamber full-time

Pros

Life is good for vice presidents or higher, many of whom still have company cars and virtually unlimited expense accounts, plus no real goals to be accountable for. These people are just bad stewards of nonprofit dollars. (To be fair, not all leadership team members are downright evil, but the rest have their heads in the sand.)

Cons

Six-figure jobs are provided to the CEO's friends without regard for their qualifications. Individuals in management positions treat their direct reports with gender and racial discrimination as well as verbal abuse. Human Resources staff are more concerned with passing out candy with the paystubs than they are about employee issues; they ignore employee concerns regularly and it was confirmed that they completely skewed my words when they reported on my exit interview. The Board of Directors is a busy set of corporate execs with little time and attention to give to directing. Marketing department is shameful: lots of wasted resources trying to sell a product and results that don't exist. The organization has no quality control and no real strategy. Leadership team has no accountability or responsibility for accomplishing any concrete goals. Membership numbers are shrinking. Staff turnover is extremely high. Parties and staff recognition events do not outweigh unfulfilling work and terrible management. If you genuinely care about ethics, moving forward in your career, or actually assisting with economic development in the Detroit region, seek work elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Advice to the Board: New executive leadership is needed.

6. Overall a good experience, learned a lot and did a lot of growing up there.

I worked at Detroit Regional Chamber full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic Benefits and location. Lots of parties.

Cons

No chance for promotion. Can't think of anything else

Advice to Management

Be humble.

RSS Feed </> Embed