Deutsche Bahn

1 Rating

awsome

Current Employee - Order Picker in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Order Picker in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Deutsche Bahn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

4 days on 3 off

Cons

nothing. great place to work

nothing

Great experience as an intern

Former Employee - Intern in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Employee - Intern in Berlin (Germany)

I worked at Deutsche Bahn

Pros

A lot of emphasis was placed on the personal level with regular feedback sessions and personal growth plans. There is a high degree of trust, resulting in autonomous, challenging work.

Cons

Due to the large, strongly hierarchical stucture of the company, feeling for office politics is needed more than would be ideal. The organization can feel a bit rigid and formal outside of the own team.

Step away from te rigidity, create a culture where people accept making mistakes and take responsibility.

Great Organisation to work for

I have been working at Deutsche Bahn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work / life Balance.
    Innovation and creativity is supported.

Cons

I haven't found in cons yet.

Typical German public service

Former Employee - IT Stuff in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)
    Former Employee - IT Stuff in Frankfurt am Main (Germany)

I worked at Deutsche Bahn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some interesting projects. Free tea and coffee. Cheap restaurant. Relocation assistance provided by externals on a commission basis. German language lessons.

Cons

Toxic bureaucratic environment in most IT departments, each team fighting the other. No handovers are usual when stuff or externals leave. Processes are very slow, i.e. a creation of a linux user account may take weeks.

Monthly net salary of less than 2000 € for an experienced programmer in Frankfurt am Main. Some programmers have to work over 10 hours and even at home. Too many analysts, architects and managers for teams with a sole developer. Some IT tools and hardware used are too old, malfunctioning and obsolete. Their austerity motto is: "cut all sources of cost".

Low order employees. especially security personnel on the ground floor, can hardly speak any English. English is rarely used, the business, meetings and project documentation language is German, no matter what promises are given orally during the interview, in order to persuade you to join DB. What counts is what is written on paper and signed.

Insults and personal attacks from superiors in front of other people on a daily basis. Maltreatment, harassment, bullying and racist remarks are quite common.

Non German speaking foreigners are considered more or less as potential industrial spies.
    In a word, it is like the army.

Personal attacks and insults from managers are not a good way of motivation.

Good place for an Internship, friendly people there.

Former Employee - Intern in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Intern in Zürich (Switzerland)

I worked at Deutsche Bahn as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Steep learning curve, nice office location

Cons

No graduate programme in Zurich

Great company. Bad salary for an internship

I have been working at Deutsche Bahn

Pros

-Great people and an very diversified company
    -Very interesting projects

Cons

-only 500 euro per month

Ein Betrieb, in dem man die Chance hat, Neues zu lernen und Berufserfahrung zu sammeln. A company that give you the chance learn new things, and add to your work experience.

Current Employee - Specialist Für Lager
    Current Employee - Specialist Für Lager

I have been working at Deutsche Bahn full-time (more than 10 years)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Herausforderung, Berufserfahrung im Ausland, Schulungen. Es gibt viele Arbeitsbereiche innerhalb des Betriebes, was es einem ermöglicht, ganz und gar in seinem Bereich zu arbeiten und im Betrieb zu bleiben.

Challenge, a international job experience , Schooling , Many job Field inside one company ,this allowing you to work your field from ground up in still be in side the same company.

Cons

Nicht genügend Spezialisten mit Erfahrung in diesem sehr gemischten Tätigkeitsfeld.

not enough experience specialist in mix of it job field.

Tolles Praktikum Fantastic Internship

Former Employee - Praktikant in Kassel (Germany)
    Former Employee - Praktikant in Kassel (Germany)

I worked at Deutsche Bahn as an intern (less than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Ich hatte eine tolle Zeit bei meiner Arbeit für die DB! Ich absolvierte nur ein Praktikum dort, wurde aber wie ein Vollzeitangestellter behandelt. Ich bekam die Gelegenheit zur Besichtigung aller Anlagen, wo ich mit den Führungskräften zusammentraf, um mir zu zeigen, worum es bei der DB wirklich geht, und um mich zu bestärken, später bei ihnen zu arbeiten. Ich würde dieses Praktikum definitiv jedem empfehlen.

I had a fantastic time working for DB! I was only an intern, but they treated me like a full time employee. I got to go visit all the major plants to meet with the executives, with the goal of showing me what DB was really about, and to encourage me to join their workforce later. I would definitely recommend this internship to anyone.

Cons

Ich konnte nicht wählen, in welcher Stadt ich leben würde; Kassel lag wirklich ungünstig, auch wenn es eine angenehme Überraschung war mit tollen Menschen und zentral gelegen; aber es war nicht meine erste Wahl, als ich dorthin kam.

I did not get to choose the city I would be living in; Kassel was really out of the way, although a pleasant surprise, with great people and centrally located; but it was not my first choice when I went.

Positive Erfahrung und Wachstumsmöglichkeit Positive experience and ability to grow

Former Employee - Mitarbeiter Qualitätssicherung in Mainz, Rheinland-Pfalz (Germany)

I worked at Deutsche Bahn as an intern (less than a year)

(Translated from English)

Pros

Jeder ist sehr nett und verständnisvoll in Bezug auf die Sprachbarriere für amerikanische Mitarbeiter. Ausgezeichnete Chancen für junge Absolventen.

Everyone is very nice and understanding of the language barrier for American employees. Excellent opportunities for young graduates.

Cons

Die Datenverarbeitung bedarf einiger Umgestaltung und kann zeitweise desorganisiert sein.

Data system needs some remodeling and can be unorganized at times.

Langsam und konservativ, aber... Slow and conservative but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bayern (Germany)

I worked at Deutsche Bahn

(Translated from English)

Pros

Man hat hier nicht viel Stress und erhält eine angemessene Arbeitsvergütung. Die Karrierelaufbahn ist klar vorgegeben und als Extras gibt es beispielsweise eine Bahncard 100.

...you have not much stress and get a decent compensation package. Clear career path and you get some nice perks such as Bahncard 100.

Cons

Es kann eine Weile dauern, bis man befördert wird, und die Gehaltserhöhungen fallen nicht gerade großzügig aus. Ein sehr konservatives Arbeitsumfeld, bei dem man manchmal nur wenig kreative Freiheit erhält.

Promotion takes a while and salary increases are not very strong. Very conservative working environment with sometimes very little creative freedom.

Ich denke, das Management macht seine Sache gut, angesichts der Tatsache, dass es sich hierbei um ein früheres Staatsunternehmen handelt. Wo auch immer dies möglich ist, sollte es mehr leistungsabhängige Anreize geben.

I think they are doing a good job given their situation as former state-owned company. Provide more performance-based incentives wherever possible.

Deutsche Bahn Photos