Deutsche Bank

3.4 1,109 reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

1,109 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Challenging tasks, excellent work-life balance, extremely smart people around you"
    in 96 reviews
  • "The work environment is very good and professional"
    in 61 reviews
Cons:
  • "The work life balance is crap and if you want to transfer between teams forget it"
    in 40 reviews
  • "It's very much a grind and long hours and can get quite confrontational"
    in 43 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good experience, grinding work and long hours

Senior Operations Analyst (Former Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsIt's really good experience with high level clients and lots of responsibility. Good benefits, time off, and lots of extra curricular activities such as sports clubs (they love soccer and golf).

ConsThe reason they are in Jacksonville is because they can get quality work at a lower price than in NY and Jersey and it's average financial services pay. It's very much a grind and long hours and can get quite confrontational.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't evaluate employees on true merit. They back fill evaluations to match the dollars HR tells them then can spend.

Good Pay, Good Benefits, Work not interesting

Assistant Vice President - Technology (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsGood Pay
    Good Benefits
    Good paid vacation and holidays

ConsWeak management
    Constant reorganization
    Work is not interesting
    Doing IT for banking is not challenging and not innovatice

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the right people on the bus. Become more diverse with management opportunities, promote more women.

The Good , The Bad and The Ugly

Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsWhen I first joined Deutsche Bank I enjoyed working for a firm that valued its people and the value that they added. Had some great colleagues while I was there. I was able to move to a new position in just over 14 months and excelled in my new role.

ConsWas approached by a different department to take on a global role and after many discussions my manager and I agreed this would be a good opportunity, so I took the new position. I was in my new role about 1 month and I was immediately informed that they didn't want me to do the governance role that they approached me for. They wanted me to do things their way and disregard policy. Of course I didn't follow their request. Then when the annual reviews were given I was given a poor review. I approached HR and asked why my former managers review wasn't take into account especially since I was still in my former role for the first half of the year. I was told that only the new mgr review counts. So I then asked doesn't HR wonder how someone who has always been a top performer drop in 6 months to a poor performer. They said they don't. The writing was on the wall. In Sept 2012 I was informed that my role was being eliminated.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Growing

Desk Quant (Current Employee)
    Jacksonville, FL

ProsIt's expanding. Most of groups are hiring new people. Lots of opportunities and new projects.

ConsIt's far from New York which means far from wall streets. Sometimes, you don't know what's happening on the market.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Mostly positive

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsWell organized for a big bank. Great comp. and benefits

ConsNot enough invested in IT innovation. Too political and cut throat for my liking.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the time and resources on long term improvement to process, infrastructure, IT etc. if you want to be best in class you need to invest in the future.

DB is a grind

Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGreat colleagues. Work with some very smart people. Decent Benefits. Easy to commute to NY Office.

ConsToo many layers of management. Too many managers not producing yet getting paid exorbitant amounts. Antiquated technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove some layers of management that cost too much and produce little - would boost morale and help the bank cut costs.

Senior Developer

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsGood business learning opportunities staying in NY, good people and peers, good technology

ConsManagement changes all the time

Good people to work with

ProsWork Life is a strong benefit.

ConsCorporate politics get in the way. The bank does not understand technology and how to implement it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed less business people running technical areas.

Sinking Ship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Global Bank with strong brand name

ConsManagement continues to retain & pay under-performing staff, and in doing so has not left enough money to pay and incentivize star performers.

Bonus caps, underpayment relative to other banks, and outrageous deferral structures means that DB will not be able to compete for talent.

DB is the only bank which has failed to make any effort to improve lifestyle for employees or even acknowledge the issue.

Summary: You will get paid more at all levels at any other major bank. Business is declining precipitously and morale is extremely low.

Advice to Senior Management--Remove under-performers and expensive MDs who do not produce
    --Improve lifestyle & culture given that you have decided to underpay versus all other banks
    --Have more awareness of how unhappy the majority of the bank is

A great place to start your career

Assistant Vice President - Technology (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsGood pay
    Excellent benefits
    Opportunities to learn about the business of investment banking
    They hire really smart, talented people
    People for the most part are very nice and fun to work with
    There are a variety of interesting products you might work with

ConsIt is extraordinarily political and almost impossible to get ahead by just quietly doing your job. You have to promote yourself constantly which can be uncomfortable for introverts.
    There are some huge egos to contend with in management. If you make one of them mad, it will not go well for you.
    There are constant re-orgs and so management and management initiatives change frequently
    Lack of consistancy in process
    Lack of process
    No real knowledge management to speak of. You are told to look at the code and figure out what you need to know.
    Heavy bureaucracy means it takes a long time to do anything. The hiring process takes months.
    There is a stated initiative aimed at getting rid of the more experienced employees and hiring new graduates and people early in their careers.

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deutsche Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Deutsche Bank CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain. All 1,109 reviews posted anonymously by Deutsche Bank employees.