Deutsche Bank

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.4 1,123 reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world(in 102 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is crap and if you want to transfer between teams forget it(in 40 reviews)

• It's very much a grind and long hours and can get quite confrontational(in 45 reviews)

1,123 Employee Reviews

Deutsche Bank is a good place to work, with the typical large company problems.

Production Support Manager (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

Pros-Great benefits
    -Flexibility with work/life balance
    -lots of opportunities

Cons-too much "red tape"
    -too many org changes
    -too many long term plans that change mid-stream

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing philosophy before the plans complete.

Banking leaders

Managing Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world.

ConsOld school beliefs and resistance to change have dampened the growth of the bank outside European Union.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis time to expand in the right verticals across USA, specially the west coast and in India and China with a different perspective is now.

If you like long hours it's the place to be, but more importantly if you want to learn the financial business it's here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExposure to financial industry is endless. If you are motivated, focused and a determine you can learn so much. There are always opportunities to contribute and learn. Colleagues are always available to answer questions. But understanding how and when to present questions is critical.

ConsFor some long hours. Personally, I loved my job!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued training to new staff.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former DB employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, a supportive corporate culture, and a real commitment to corporate philanthropy and citizenship. I loved working there.

ConsAmerican and -German culture differences.

Job security

Compliance (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsJob security, good benefits, location

ConsSalary, endless overtime hours with no compensation, unrealistic job expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation evaluations should be done, the employees are underpaid for the amount of experience they have and the industry they work in.

Political and cost cutting environment

Senior Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL

ProsWork life balance is good, office is close to the beach and Towncenter.

ConsVery difficult to move locations, training is non-existent and Series License is very difficult to get sponsorship.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more with bonus packages available for good performance reviews. More management training for senior analyst.

not so great environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits - longer vacation for associates. 6 months of maternity leave, which is the longest i heard on the street. base salary is competitive. reasonably smart jr. level people.

Conspoor work life balance, leadership culture is bad. not so knowledgeable Jr. level managers. training was almost zero. not so great bonus. poor internal mobility structure. unresponsive middle level managers.

Cumbersome

Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice Cafeteria. Wall Street Location. Broker/Dealer Trading Desk people were very knowledgeable about the products they trade on a daily basis.

ConsLack of communication and/or commitment. Rates IT had a very damaged reputation for Not understanding technology, and I couldn't fix that. Everyone afraid to lose their jobs, and won't commit to understanding in-house technology. No SME-Subject Matter Experts. Back stabbing - will take credit for your work, verbal abuses from those less knowledgeable about technology, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Managers should be in charge of the hiring process - Not employees. Employees will NOT Hire qualified people who may pose a threat to their position. Ineffective managers have high turnaround of consultants due to lack of personal insecurity surrounding knowledge-base. DB needs a "Centralized" IT Management Group to ensure individual departments meet criteria "Before" UAT Testing can begin, such as Base-lining and Unit-Testing. These will ensure successful implementation 1st time around, as well as Subject Matter Experts for each in-house proprietary platform in use today.

Interesting

Director, Risk Officer and Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt all depends on the boss. With the right boss this shop offers a lot.
    I guess my cons are more or less similar to competitors.
    If you swim down the river it is great. If you question the management you are history.
    I was satisfied until I decided to leave as I made enough money to have a happy life.
    I witnessed other who got the boot and where of course unhappy.

ConsCulture has changed significantly and is the worst I have ever seen.
    Management by fear. Most decisions are not made in the interest of the shareholder.
    I witnessed many illegal transactions and cannot believe that regulators keep their eyes closed although they sit day and night next door in the Wall St office.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management would be my advice as it is ridiculous to have somebody in charge of changing a culture which they had implemented in the past. That simply does not work.

General advice to young folks:
    If you do not like your boss, you better move on as you will never change him/her.
    Opportunities for young people are manyfold. ;)

former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe pay was on par with the street then

Consmorale was awful but likely better than other shops.

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!