Deutsche Bank Reviews

3.3
1,207 Reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain
Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world (in 106 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment (in 67 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance; morale could go down at times (in 45 reviews)

• a culture of long hours where they aren't required (in 60 reviews)

More Highlights

Good time at DB as an Analyst

I have been working at Deutsche Bank

Pros

Great culture and very supportive staff

Cons

Not too high on the league tables in the US

It's a CURSE' to work at Deutsche Bank in Cary, NC (RUN AWAY)

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in Cary, NC

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Global Financial business experience
    Decent salary
    Decent benefits

Cons

This DB location in Cary is like an offshore center within US. It's run and controlled by The management in London and New York who care less for people in Cary. Too much blame game, extremely unprofessional and chaotic work environment. They work you like a dog for not that great money. Very very unrealistic expectation. Too much drama to put up with. Extremely high bureaucracy and micro management. They have an Agile process for every project which is extremely stressful. Multiple meetings. Most of them are a waste of time. Too much of process which can get annoying at times. Most people here do not dress well. Doesn't feel like you're working for a big bank. It has a startup feel to it. Some people come to work in jeans, shorts, flip flops on all days.

Even if you have to take a vacation, it's not easy to get out as most projects are regulatory and they have to meet the timelines.

Very poor middle management. Instead of pumping your Morale higher, some Managers bring your morale down. The Managers make sure that you don't even have a single minute of free time.

I've never seen such a stressful and bad work environment ever in my life. Some people are too rude and direct to work with. This is the worst company that I have ever worked with in my life.

NEVER NEVER NEVER join this bank in Cary, NC.

If you want to be successful then you have to convey the middle management to not micro manage people so much.

Take the last train to Jacksonville

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Cary, NC

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

The new facilities are quite nice and becoming increasingly spacious as people leave.
    401k is ok compared to working for the government - though "real" technology companies are better.
    Very slow pace may suit many.
    Easy to hide if you are lazy.

Cons

Constant state of flux: Several high-profile departures this year leaving a vacuum for indecision and power broking.
    No support for the center in wider DB - we are the butt of all jokes from our uk counterparts such as "Cary Cracker Jar", "Cary Creche", "Cary Asylum", "Pulled pork-heads", "DB-Rednecks". This might be funny to you but we live here
    No clear strategy - we answer to the newest whip in town. The new whip is in Jacksonville so I guess this is where our jobs are going.
    Low grade senior management team and dishonest/incompetent HR dept.
    Town halls are rubbish - no charisma, no honesty and no action.
    Tooling is poor and you cannot use anything not considered standard.

If your "strategy" is to hire low grade folks the result is going to be low grade.
    Why not tell us our roles are going to Jacksonville instead of promisin

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DeAWM is represented and led by the best in the business.

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Vice President in Houston, TX

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are wanting to stretch and grow and realize your potential, DB is an excellent platform to go after it. Salary. Pension. Bonus. Stock Options and value for balance is important.

Cons

I have not seen cons. I am an eternal optimist and want the chance to be all I can become. DB is an excellent company.

Toxic Environment wouldn't go back even as last resort

Former Employee - Senior Operations Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Operations Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not one pro to list ...wish I could convert this into more space for cons

Cons

Everything about DB is a con

Management is absolutely horrible and they do not know the process flows or their employees roles and tasks. Reminds me of a sweat shop, they work you till the point of feeling sick. Minimum 60 hour weeks. Jacksonville location likes to bring VP's in from London and eliminate advancement. They come over here and all they care about is production at your expense. They don't care that you have a life or a family.

AVPs are under qualified and can not help or do anything. In transaction accounting if you ask the management something be ready to get a political I have no idea answer or a wrong answer that you will pay for dearly later.

Managers like to whisper and gossip about employees and even mock and talk badly about them in front of team members. And if someone quits then they trash talk that person continuously. They blame you for leaving and say it's your fault but yet 80% turn over rate in 12 months tells you there is a problem. Human resources is completely useless they know the issues and do nothing.

I could go a week and AVPs and VP's that you sit within 10 feet up and they don't acknowledge you or speak to you unless they need or want something.

Be prepared to do 3-4 person workloads even workloads of higher ranks and not be compensated. I was given a role a pay scale higher with a title change and much more benefits and they told me your getting the job but we can't "promote you" you haven't been here long enough, prove yourself and in 2 years well"promote" you for the role you've been doing.

This place is toxic and they do not care if you quit they trash you and replace you with someone less qualified.

If you think your going to get trained your wrong. You will be given broken procedures if you get any and be expected to self train and be expected to make the procedure 100%

Was told you are aloud to ask questions but you can only ask a specific question one time. If you ask It again your faulted.

My mid year review was to be done by a deadline in person but they ignored it and texted me at home at 8 pm saying please log in and except your review. I can't leave for vacation until you do. VP's don't even right the reviews they let under qualified AVPs do them with no clue as what to write. I could go on for days but I think you get the picture

Work for you overpaid salary. Get involved and realize there is a major problem in Jacksonville SAS world. It will at some point upset the wrong person and you'll see a lawsuit on your hands. Fix your human resources and make them transparent and trustworthy. Everyone I talk to whether its recruiters or other employers they all laugh when you say I work at DB. And they say can't wait to here your experience....fix your company's integrity.

Worked on a project. work was challenging but too many heads not pulling together caused difficulties.

Former Employee - IT Migration Team Lead  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - IT Migration Team Lead in New York, NY

I worked at Deutsche Bank as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The culture there is fine and the people were amiable. Typical banking environment - hectic and pressurized, especially trading floor. Nice corporate perks and good location. Was able to expand knowledge and given an opportunity to grow beyond my original parameters.

Cons

long hours; at times unrealistic expectations; overly complex procedures just to perform daily necessary tasks.

Excellent work environment

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Deutsche bank practice equal opportunity in true sense.

Cons

Some of system architecture and processes are not best in class. However over last couple of years we have seen significant improvement and Deutsche bank is moving in the right direction

Just another big bank

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Deutsche Bank as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Pay is descent and the company has documentation for some of its processes.

Cons

Just like any big bank, the expectation of staying late even when you have nothing to do is necessary.

Make a plan and stick to it. Instead of changing everything on a daily basis.

Employer of last resort. Consider another industry.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Exposure to many smart people. Fast computer. Good work from home flexibility. The time off policy, if you can use it, is generous. The resume line is nice too, for now. Very smart people are attracted to the DB brand so you get to work with them for a few months or a year or two before they leave, or until you do.

Cons

Soft compensation. Tough industry. Unsustainable employment strategy. Lack of strategic direction. Ineffective HR. Lack of expertise: blind leading the blind. Confrontational behaviors, occasional bullying due to competitive rating system. (quiet people with alot of talent but who aren't aggressive don't really get much justice out of the bell curve rating scale) Promotions get held up due to HR not knowing what they are doing. Good people getting burned up. Napoleonic politics. Weak training. Long arbitrary hours and not due to actual needs, but usually due to bureaucracy and inefficiency. Weak technology implementation and SDLC.

Evolve. Mature. Talent will come back and this once great firm could be great again.

Lacks direction and employee recognition

I have been working at Deutsche Bank full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent comp package. Generous holiday benefits. In spite of its infrastructure challenges still very profitable. Generally very good people globally.

Cons

Changes its direction year over year, outright lack of modern efficient technology. Very difficult to get promoted even for top talent. Sad to see such a great franchise so mismanaged. Great place to work if you are in Germany.

Stability, management changes more than many people change their under garments! Recognize your top talent.

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!