Dev Technology Group

Updated October 31, 2014
4.1

Susie Sylvester

Great place to work

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I came to work at Dev Technology because it seemed like they really cared about their employees and clients. 5 years later and this has only been proven further. I have really great coworkers, and everyone here is super smart, considerate, and hard working. My coworkers make my job a lot easier and more enjoyable than it could be otherwise.

Cons

I don’t really have any that are worth listing, unless you want to hear about how we sometimes run out of snacks. The management team works hard to address issues that can be common to small businesses and federal contractors, such as projects ending and finding new opportunities for employees.

Keep doing what you are doing! I really enjoy working with everyone.

I love my job again

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Reston, VA

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked in the IT industry for 24 years. I had gotten to the point that I was quite burned out and looking for a change. One year ago I left the very large corporation that I was working for to come to work for Dev Technology. After one year on the job I can honestly say I love my job again. When I interviewed for the job I was intrigued by the excitement that the people interviewing me showed. They had a vision for the project that sounded great. I told myself not too get too hopeful. A lot of things get said in an interview that don't always come to pass. After a year on the job it has exceeded my expectations. I work for great people and have a great team. We all have a stake in the projects that our team works on. Everyone helps everyone else. The environment here allows us to mentor and collaborate with each other in a way that I have not experienced before.

Cons

I have only been here for a year. Still looking for the cons.

Continue to be available to employees - open discussions are very valuable to employee satisfaction.

Best Job I've had in 26 years!

Current Employee - Senior Remedy Developer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Remedy Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Managegment truly wants you to succeed. They are trying to bring people up through the ranks, giving people who have a interest in Business Development or Management to go those routes. Additionally, they don't want you to feel like you are stagnant in your current role.

Because it is a small company, you have a much more intimate working relationship with upper management. This is a huge plus because I never feel like I can't pick up the phone and call.

Cons

Because it is a company that is mostly involved in Federal Contracts, you live and die by how the Federal Government is currently spending money. When the government is spending, there is lots to do, when they are not, things can get thin. However Dev Technology makes every possible effort to never lose a good person. I've seen them go to great lengths to lessen the stress and strain of lean times.

Keep up the good work! Don't forget that the most important thing we can do is to make sure that team members have the ability to maintain and keep their technical skills "fresh"!

A great company to grow yourself!

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great office culture, encouraging work-life balance. Always seeking and encouraging employees to seek new project opportunities. It's a great company to grow yourself. Whether you’re currently a fresh graduate or a senior executive, the company is always there to help you expand your knowledge and expertise in the fields you are interested in. Great company benefits!

Cons

As for most small companies, there is always risk of changing projects. But the company strives to ensure employee stability, and to provide the best fit projects for its people.

One of the best career decisions I've made

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Dev Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A small company with an open and honest culture that puts clients and employees ahead of bottom line. The company has strong ethics. It's a growing company and those truly interested in assisting with the growth, can roll up their sleeves and pitch in. Ability to balance work and life.

Cons

For those employees with specific technical skill sets there are not always job openings or opportunities when they may want or need to change. However, the company does try it's best to retain employees and find other opportunities, the size sometimes limits that ability.

Keep the dialogue with employees going. Increase transparency on corporate goals and the strategy to get there.

Dev Technology Group Response

Apr 11, 2014CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad that you see the value in our culture. I agree with you that we need to increase opportunities. Our management team's top priority is to expand our client base ... More

company consistently got worse over time.

Former Employee - Remedy Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Remedy Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Dev Technology Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No micromanagement, opportunities to pick up skills for highly motivated people.

Cons

salary increases don't budge past 1-2% year after year
    There is no stability as far as projects. Unfortunately, the company does not get prime contracts with the goverment, so you wind up working for 3 different entities, each with a management layer as a subcontractor (not including the goverment!). This translates into filling three sets of timecards each week.
    Management is more concrened about having your timecards filled on time that the quality of your work or the work life balance of it's employees.

If you send a manager to a customer site, he should be professional, technically competent, and not a sales rep that relies on the old boy network.
    please develop an adequate training budget, make the process for getting it not seem so onerous. It is great to challenge people to pick up new skills, but technical training should be part of the deal.

Dev Technology Group Response

Mar 7, 2014CEO

I am proud of the values that our company holds which is exceeding our clients expectations and valuing the individual needs of our employees. We strive to deliver with professionalism while keeping ... More

Good management, work/life balance

I worked at Dev Technology Group

Pros

Friendly, professional management that cares about their employees

Cons

Job growth limited as it is a small company

Dynamic company with great potential. Would recommend to others!

I have been working at Dev Technology Group

Pros

Great people. Responsive management to employees and their requests. Benefits are great.... Management is small and accessible. Compensation is above industry average. Talk about collaboration, but do not see much in action.

Cons

Lack of career growth. No name recognization outside of DHS.

Change nothing.

Conservatively run company, no true career growth

I have been working at Dev Technology Group

Pros

People are nice -- good Xmas parties.

Cons

No name recognition. No prime contracts, so all contract issues are dictated by EDS/HP or othe prime. Will grow only so far as prime.

Evaluate growth of all employees and see how many are doing exactly what they were doing when hired. 100%?

Dev Technology Group Photos