Devcon International

Add Photos

Robert C. Farenhem

Worst experience I have ever had in 36 years of working

Sales (Former Employee) Tacoma, WA

ProsI-pad and phone would be the only consolation.

ConsIn all my years of working I have never been treated with such dis-respect as I was working at Devcon International (Devcon Security Services). I stayed for two months. The company has no respect for employees or their customers. On their contract they had you cross off the three year agreement and write one year. They also advertised 20% off of your current service. I had a contract signed and they changed their mind on the 20% off to have a minimum company wide so I had to go back to the customer and explain their monthly rate would be more on the day the installation was to be done. Needless to say, they refused to accept the new rate and the company refused the contract after management accepted it. I expect that as the company goes nationwide they will have a lot of lawsuits until they make up their mind on what their offers should be. They seem to be a new company made up of former Brinks Security management and there is probably a reason Brinks is no longer around. I am waiting for them to decide that they will not honor their promise of not raising rates for the three years they promise and only 1 year on the written in promise. I know they are a company I would never do business or suggest to anyone to do business with. There are too many other options such as ADT, and Protection One, than to settle for a company that has deceptive business practices such as theirs. Maybe I just had a poor manager, but from what I saw, I really believe that the whole company is not reliable. I left on my own and in 36 years it was the first job I have ever walked off of without giving them notice. I think it surprised them I could not morally stay.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs to make some final decisions as to what their policies are going to be as they expand to nationwide. The idea of changing policies overnight without honoring contracts already signed will only lead to problems for them. I decided I would not put my name on something that the company I represented will not stand behind. I have worked too hard for the respect of businesses and clients to ruin it with a company like Devcon.

IT Dept. in shambles

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hollywood, FL

ProsGreat people at the working level.

ConsManagement has no clue how to run an IT Dept. Ineperienced managers with no people skills and no customer service skills make for a terrible workplace. Stress, tension and time wasting activities rule.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and re org with existing staff. Telecom can lead the Infrastructure and helpdesk. Make Database it's own mismanged group. Do it now before the house of cards collapses.

Promised the World, got lies and problems.

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsTablet, phone working with previous co-workers from brinks. Felt good and was good when we first started. now well read below....

ConsO my where to start......I was a Brinks Rep for years and years. We got bought out by ADT then Devcon went nationwide and a good portion of old Brinks employees went to Devcon. oops first mistake, not that ADT was any better. I started when the first nationwide offices opened so around Feburary. We got a draw pay schedule and had a guranteed paycheck and gas allowance. They promised us leads within a few months, pay would not change and it would be brinks reborn. I was with all my old co-workers so I was excited. To make a long story short our pay is now a performance gurantee...so commission only. We can no longer give discounts to meet the current climate of alarm sales, and if we do CHARGEBACK. We dont get enough sales as it is to cut off only leverage in a selling situation. The promised advertising the first of 2012....doubt it. No one knows of our company but the higher ups seem to think we are so great were going to sell value. News flash were not Brinks or ADT. People will not buy because we tell them its great. (In alot of cases were more than all the other companies!!!) I mean what do you think the other alarm providers are saying., same thing we are?? Our paychecks are always and i do mean always wrong. I am guessing the next step will be merging with Pinnacle security so we can now offically get even worse. (Owned by the same investment group.) This is a really sad company to work for and they are on a downward spiral, most of the brinks reps I know around the country including myself plan to leave in the near future because of terrible upper management decisions. I strongly advise you to stay away, dont listen to the promises its BS. There is so much more but you get the point, ive worked for others in the past they get the check for worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to be joking, If i knew back in the first of the year what I know now I would have laughed and walked away. Awful calls on the reps pay, chargebacks, leads, adverstising and general attitude with your employees. I will tell people I know to stay away and this from a 10+ year brinks rep, its that bad. I feel we were tricked and you are treating us and customers like crap. You all had the perfect oppurtunity to take over the market for the most place and you blew it. I hope you fell good about it since devcon wont last long at this pace. Say bye bye to the old brinks reps and half or more of your sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Look elsewhere. No money here. Deplorable!

Area Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsPhone, tablet and small gas allowance. The technicians I've seen or been around were very knowledgeable and professional.

ConsOh so many.
    1. Commission on paper looks good but in reality the sales are few.
    2. Poor company leads
    3. Phone tools to track your phone calls must make 50 or so a day. BLAH! You get into outside sales for the freedom. They use this tracking tool to just keep track of you. No way. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they tracked your cell phone or tablet by GPS.
    4. Self generated lead each week or no pay check at the end of the week. Commission only!!! That really sucks! No base salary means you get someone desperate for a job and they are definitely still looking fast for something else.
    5. The management staff is deplorable. A general manger can't override anything or even his boss. If a credit score came back as 599. A year up front no exceptions.
    6. Very stringent on credit checks. Must collect a year up front on anyone below 600 FICO score.
    7. All phone calls go through a call center and the reps try to sell it over the phone and you're left with what they can't get. Not much of a lead left at that point.
    8. Territory eats up your gas allowance. Our area is 120 miles in each direction. WAY TO BIG!
    9. I've spent as much as 8 hours in a day driving, to much windshield time. Can't sell driving your car, much less with gas as high as it is, FORGET IT!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sand. Take care of your customers better than you are. It takes many years to build a great reputation and only once to ruin it. You are ruining that stellar reputation. I was a customer of this company before I worked for them. Canceling my service. Going online where I can get it monitored for a fraction of what they are currently charging me for monitoring.

They claim average sales rep makes 50K. No way!

Security Account Representative (SAR) (Former Employee)

Proscell phone, ITablet, gas allowance

ConsCompany changed comp plan to straight commission. No longer a base salary. You work 40+ hours a week w/o a sale, you don't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't pay your sales reps, how do you expect to keep them.

Worked for Devcon International? Contribute to the Community!