Development Alternatives

Updated December 15, 2014
Updated December 15, 2014
3.5

James Boomgard

Heavy workload in a friendly, but driven work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Development Alternatives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1 - Many opportunities for personal and professional growth at this company.
    2 - The office culture is very friendly, with many smart and driven co-workers who are dedicated to the company mission and cause.
    3 - There are opportunities to move around in the company, including to overseas project assignments.
    4 - Reputable firm in the international development industry with strong technical expertise.

Cons

1 - Has a "decision by consensus" culture, which although collaborative, leaves a large gap in accountability.
    2 - Salaries for entry-level and mid-level positions are low, although typical for the international development industry.
    3 - Internal support departments (i.e. IT, HR, Procurement, Contracts) are not effectively managed and operate inefficiently.
    4 - Depending on the department you are in, work-life balance can be challenging as the workload is quite heavy and there is pressure to keep staffing levels low.

A great company to start off

Former Employee - Auditing Support in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Auditing Support in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Development Alternatives

Pros

It has standard enterprise principles and culture, people are really nice and the environment is friendly.

Cons

It is too big to socialize with coworkers.

Great Place to Learn and Grow

I worked at Development Alternatives full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast-paced atmosphere, fueled by an engaged and talented workforce. It's exciting to work at DAI--the company seems to always be at the forefront of the industry, and is open to new approaches in development. If you are a high producer, managers are supportive and help you identify roles that will expand your career. Many supervisors support flexible work arrangements if it suits your position and your team.

Cons

Home office-based jobs can be high pressure, requiring long hours. Technical leaders are really committed to their fields and sometimes devalue the contributions of finance and operations staff. Support of technical delivery in the field is inconsistent--sometimes overseas staff receive great support on deliverables, etc., and sometimes not.

Great!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Development Alternatives as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Exposure to the most interesting people i've met in development

Cons

Hierarchy is evident. The interaction between departments isn't as strong as it could be.

There should be more interaction between departments. In addition they could add more ways to have good employees stay.

Interesting

I worked at Development Alternatives

Pros

Great work environment. One meet people from all those different backgrounds and cultures.
    If you have an interest in international development, this is the place for you. Annual performance review helps determine whether you have met your goals and objectives for the year.
    Great career opportunities available.

Cons

Although there's potential for career progression; however, be prepared for the possible unexpected workforce reduction.

Unable to escape the US Gov contractor mentality

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Development Alternatives full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work in the field, its incredible. 6 moths abroad taught me more than years in a home office. I experienced none of the Cons below in the field. I count my move from the field to the home office for "job security" as one of the worst choices I have ever made, as it sapped my faith in the whole Development Sector (read: Industry).

Cons

1. Avoid becoming a "Project Coordinator." This level where the most burnout happens. Poor management, long hours, high expectations, extremely high competition, and low pay drive out a lot of talented folks. This is also where most "cuts" are.

2. Co-Workers can be cut-throat. Let's face it, this field attracts rising stars. The unfortunate reality is people here often rise at the cost of others. Because of this, my department was a gloomy, quiet place where no one spoke and people kept files on each other. One co-worker even saved all of his correspondences on a removable drive because, "You will need to cover your [butt]."
    To illustrate this point: On day ONE, I was chewed out for following a faulty set of instructions my co-worker gave me. Although he had the opportunity to step in and assume responsibility, he stayed silent. When approached later, he said, "That should teach you to always verify." Things only got worse from there!

3. DAI can be "clickish." Long hours usually means your only friends are your co-workers. It doesn't help that most people moved to the DC are from places like Dubuque, Iowa, knowing no one in the area. The first friends they often make are the cubicle moles next to them. Longtimers (read: those that have survived for 9 months) often cluster together, dismissing "greenhorns" who have the life expectancy of Infantry at D-Day. I don't blame them! If you managed to find a group of colleagues that won't feed you to the sharks for brownie points, I'd stick to them like glue too!

4. Its about making money stupid. DAI will beat the mantra of "we're a business that operates like a non-profit." Funny thing is, I never saw the level of blame shifting, betrayal, fact-hiding, and general A-type snobbery in the name of personal advancement and profit ... in the FOR-PROFIT sector(read: not in the Development Industry). The mission is about making money at Home Office. Your mission is professional advancement in a field where everyone is as good or better than your are. That means one thing: If you treat this like your run of the mill, mom & pop non-profit, you will be eaten alive.

5. This will all suck your soul away. People at Home Office actively delude themselves into thinking they are doing "good for the world" while "accidentally" forwarding email chains with other peoples' mistakes to managers, filing in blanks in auditable material before the RIG shows up, taking out higher insurance policies on people going to "safe" areas in Afghanistan (only to see them brutally murdered months later), falsifying time cards, and I could go on. If these are the people who grease the wheels in our country's philanthropic efforts... well no wonder International Development is so jammed up!

1. Ethics. Ethics. Ethics. Teach your managers to do the right thing. Corruption and scandal works its way downwards, not the other way around!
    2. Just because you can manage a portfolio, doesn't mean you can manage people, and vice versa. Separate your managers from your leaders. Give your leaders the supervisory role and your managers the role of bean counter. You'll see less people quit because "my boss sucks."

A relatively good place to enter the world of international development

I have been working at Development Alternatives full-time

Pros

The company is staffed by good people who are truly committed to the mission of the company. No matter who strapped for resources the teams are, they usually manage to pull it out in the end.

Cons

1. Compensation - there are salary bands and the median of each band represents the industry standard. The stated policy to managers every year when they are making salary recommendations is to keep people below the median. Not cool.
    2. Too much investment in Afghanistan projects. The way that junior staff were practically forced into agreeing to travel to Afghanistan - I repeatedly witnessed managers making determination about junior staff members' capabilities based on whether or not they were enthusiastic about being expected to travel to Afghanistan for months at a time.

Stop treating project management as if it is separate from technical implementation. On your government contracts that you are hired to implement, you are expected to not only achieve the technical aims, but to do so without stepping out of the government's lines. So treating the administrative management and compliance like an afterthought that the high and mighty technical experts can ignore and push off on to an understaffed administrative and compliance team is not necessarily a good idea. Every member of a project team in the home office and in the field has a responsibility towards project management and until you hold them accountable for audit findings or unallowable determinations, they will continue.

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Senior Program Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Program Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Development Alternatives full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had great, supportive co-workers who were always willing to problem solve together. It was a great learning experience during which I was able to travel to three different countries and witness program implementation first hand.

Cons

There were times that it felt like it was impossible to progress beyond the administrative level.

Invest in the highly motivated, young staff members who are dedicated to the mission. Help them advance.

Enjoyable Culture, but Trapped in Uninspiring Donor Marketplace

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Development Alternatives full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Inspired staff
    - Ability to chart your own career path - just talk to your colleagues and managers who want to help you!
    - Relatively stable marketplace

Cons

- Out of touch executive leadership team
    - Creaky old systems that smell like a government contractor
    - 2013 re-organization was a mess with no light at the end of the tunnel

Please hire some new blood. We need professionals who challenge big decisions, not the good ole boys club. The rest of the company is open-minded and invites criticism that will make all of our proposals and work stronger - that stops at the executive team level, where all of Boomgard's soldiers fall in line behind the dear leader.

Lastly, don't just talk about being innovative -- show, don't tell, my friends.

Very talented and knowledgeable professionals working in the international development scene.

I have been working at Development Alternatives

Pros

Variety of programs and projects, from a diverse set of development sectors from education to governance.

Cons

A lot of competition and not enough leeway to work in the offices you desire.