Development Dimensions International

Reset
3.8
Development Dimensions International Chairman & CEO William Byham
William Byham

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling to maintain work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The people are amazing, it is a great culture and if you are ambitious and have high initiative you can continue to move up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior leadership is well aware of the problems and has a ridiculous amount of documentation (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management is not very supportive (in 5 reviews)

Great Culture

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good opportunity to grow and get new experiences. Great colleagues, very collaborative.

Cons

Comp/benefits okay but not great.

Advice to Management

Improve accountability and follow-through. Ensure sufficient resources.

2. Great atmosphere

Current Employee - Project Associate in Bridgeville, PA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Bridgeville, PA

Pros

Good work life balance is great!

Cons

There really aren't any Con's, very good company to work for

Advice to Management

allow for easier professional growth

After ten years ....why have I not been promoted.

Current Employee - Project Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Decent work environment and flexible work schedule sometimes.

Cons

Max plan has not helped me move up as far as career growth.

Advice to Management

They need to practice what they "preach" in all their materials. I just recently saw a Vice President leave due to difference of opinions.

OK if you drink the Kool-Aid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

Fellow employees are smart and friendly. Employees have access to some very good technology and resources, so working at DDI can be a great learning experience. For a private company, management is surprisingly open about financials and plans.

Cons

Have you have worked for a company and mocked the stupid and worthless yearly personal review process? The one that has no real relation to your job and that is completed with responses you hope make your bosses happy and cause you the least amount of grief? Now imagine working for a company run by the people who created that process. That's DDI. Management constantly advertises how DDI is the best at everything. Things are done the DDI way. Many employees enthusiastically buy into this, creating a cult like feeling. Very cliquey. Promotions and raises rarely based on performance or merit. Opposing views are not welcome. Management asks for a lot and gives back very little. Way behind the times when it comes to raises and benefits. Overall product portfolio and business model seems outdated. Almost all of the top innovators and performers I knew during my time there are now gone. Not very good for a company who claims to be a leader at talent retention.

Advice to Management

Get some new blood in top level management fast.

6. A breath of fresh air; simply a GREAT place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, I have been at DDI for 4 months. From the get-go I have been amazed at how everyone exemplifies what DDI calls "Key Principles." The principles are hung on signage throughout the building, they come on coffee mugs you get as a new hire, they are everywhere. The key principles talk about maintaining others' self esteem, having empathy, collaborating, sharing thoughts & feelings, and providing support; what's most amazing though, is that everyone actually carries them out. DDI truly cares about their employees. Management has created a culture very concerned with work-life balance, maintaining good health, and developing professionally. I simply never knew such a place existed and I'm very thankful to work here.

Cons

I am not aware of any cons yet.

Very structured company with solutions. Unclear career paths for individuals. Very political.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

Company invests in training for new consultants. Very structured. Very smart colleagues. Solution groups and consultants assessmbled based on client needs.

Cons

Very political - an employee who manages upwards tends to do better. Senior management seems to have a few 'pet' favorites - who may not be the best managers/leaders. Same for these managers with their staff. Lack of coaching/development. Not practicing what is preached.

Advice to Management

Be more open and objective. Invest in your employees' growth through your own coaching efforts, not making judgments based on hearsay.

Great place to work with great people.

Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture - based on teamwork, constructive feedback, continuous improvement and a focus on personal development. There are lots of examples of associates who have left to work elsewhere, only to return later realizing what they missed. There are many opportunities to grow personally and professionally. This place practices what it preaches.

Cons

The travel can get a bit tedious and there are times when you have to put in some long hours.

Advice to Management

Continue your focus on innovation and pushing decision making down into the ranks.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Summer hours are nice. If you work for a good manager you're in luck! Otherwise... Watch your back

Cons

Technology is equal to the 8 track... Upper management and steering committee will go to extreme measures to bury their head in the sand, it's sad.

Advice to Management

When you limit who your buyers can are, it's not shocking sales will suffer. Look around at your competition, or don't, however, nobody uses CD's anymore.

10. Best company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people you work with amazingly supportive culture professional growth guaranteed at any level and in any function

Cons

salaries are not too high, but you rarely think about it when you are at DDI very centralized company

Advice to Management

Trying to give more power to local offices might bring greater value to the company in the long run

11. I certainly learned a great deal!

Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture - people are collaborative. I never heard the phrase "that's not my job" in the fifteen years I worked there. Great colleagues and great customers! Never bored!

Cons

Long hours Pay was WAY less than adequate - has the reputation of being a sweatshop. Employees are usually pigeon-holed. Senior management had their faves...not a bad thing if you were one of them. :-)

Advice to Management

Look OUTSIDE your company and enter the 21st century....learning is now taking place on many different platforms.

RSS Feed </> Embed