Development Dimensions International

Updated October 7, 2014
3.9

Development Dimensions International Chairman & CEO William Byham
William Byham

Pros
  • Flexible scheduling to maintain work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• The people are amazing, it is a great culture and if you are ambitious and have high initiative you can continue to move up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Consensus-driven culture results in slow decision making (in 7 reviews)

• Senior leadership is well aware of the problems and has a ridiculous amount of documentation (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work.

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Smart co-workers, high-performance culture, great solutions, solid benefits, flex time, caring organization

Cons

Slow to move on important issues in a fast moving world. Too many internal changes happen all the time.

Try to involve the people closest to the issue at hand - don't just act like you are...really listen to people other than the other senior leaders. Most of the fresh ideas and new thoughts are from newly hired people, not those who have been there for an entire career and only have that experience to contibute.

Sinking ship

Former Employee - Anonymous in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Summer hours are nice. If you work for a good manager you're in luck! Otherwise... Watch your back

Cons

Technology is equal to the 8 track... Upper management and steering committee will go to extreme measures to bury their head in the sand, it's sad.

When you limit who your buyers can are, it's not shocking sales will suffer. Look around at your competition, or don't, however, nobody uses CD's anymore.

They are so sure they are superior, they can't see the forest for the trees

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you like testing, measurements and loads and loads of feedback from everything from a random facial expression to a sales presentation, you'll love DDI

Cons

They try to create an unrealistic environment -- a wonderland where no one has a bad day, feels cranky, or where gossip never touches anyone's lips. There is way too much intrusive internal testing, screening and examining.

Byham should retire. He's way too insular - way out of step with how the world beyond Pittsburgh operates.

Great place if you fit in.

Former Employee - Client Executive
    Former Employee - Client Executive

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

World class services and products.

Cons

Inflexible culture and group think, low diversity.

Add diversity of ideas by adding to management team.

Best company I ever worked for

Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consulting Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

people you work with
    amazingly supportive culture
    professional growth guaranteed at any level and in any function

Cons

salaries are not too high, but you rarely think about it when you are at DDI
    very centralized company

Trying to give more power to local offices might bring greater value to the company in the long run

Great Company

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible, excellent corporate culture, good career opportunities

Cons

compensation is on the low end and accountability for sales people needs to be revamped.

I certainly learned a great deal!

Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture - people are collaborative. I never heard the phrase "that's not my job" in the fifteen years I worked there.

Great colleagues and great customers! Never bored!

Cons

Long hours
    Pay was WAY less than adequate - has the reputation of being a sweatshop.
    Employees are usually pigeon-holed.
    Senior management had their faves...not a bad thing if you were one of them. :-)

Look OUTSIDE your company and enter the 21st century....learning is now taking place on many different platforms.

Earns its title of a Best Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture - all in it together!, most leaders are very supportive of development and advancement, strong products and services we can be proud of, great reputation among clients, flexibility, the focus on work life balance is real. It's a hustle culture and a friendly, EXTREMELY non-competitive (internally) culture. It is amazing in our industry to have never been bought, sold, or merged. We have controlled our own destiny and have always been in a safe financial position. I see on a regular basis that our stable organizaiton is good for us and for our clients. No one is calling us "deadweight" to a larger organization, like we're seeing now for some competitors.

Cons

The industry is in challenging times. We must innovate and add new product lines. The culture is there to do it! I've read with dismay some of the negative/reactionary comments about individual leaders and single experiences. I cannot dismiss another person's experience. However, I ask you folks, have you NEVER had an interaction you're not proud of? Anyone who expects perfect interactions 100% of the time is pretty unrealistic. Go somewhere else and see whether that expectation is met more or less often than at DDI (after your honeymoon period). Many of the comments are from former employees, some of whom were not performing.

Innovate, get things to market faster, and consider more strategic partnerships. We probably need some new different product lines. But keep and protect our culture and our independence!

Has the potential to be great again if leadership gets out of the way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work at this company are wonderful. They are smart, challenging, driven and mostly big thinkers. They have a passion for what they do and what the company stands for. Also given the size of the organization, very few people have narrowly defined roles - everyone pitches in, takes initiative to get additional experience where they can (or where it is needed) and that creates opportunity to build cross-functional experience.

Cons

The leadership is completely out of touch with the associates, their needs/desires, and also with how rapidly this industry is changing. They rarely look inward with the wonderful solutions they develop and sell to use internally when making decisions about promotions or placements. There also are very few opportunities for upward mobility given how top heavy the organization is so a lot of great employees have been leaving because the career paths tend to be limited.

Use the tools internally to make the best decisions for management structure and personnel, be less risk averse and let truly innovative ideas flourish, rather than squash them with "we tried that and it didn't work."

Good culture

Pros

Coworkers are great! Flex schedules can be helpful.

Cons

Management has gone down hill. Some people in mid-management positions do not uphold the company culture but are still in the role year after year!

Practice what you preach and hold managers accountable.

Development Dimensions International Photos