Development Dimensions International

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. I certainly learned a great deal!

Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture - people are collaborative. I never heard the phrase "that's not my job" in the fifteen years I worked there. Great colleagues and great customers! Never bored!

Cons

Long hours Pay was WAY less than adequate - has the reputation of being a sweatshop. Employees are usually pigeon-holed. Senior management had their faves...not a bad thing if you were one of them. :-)

Advice to Management

Look OUTSIDE your company and enter the 21st century....learning is now taking place on many different platforms.

Earns its title of a Best Place to Work

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture - all in it together!, most leaders are very supportive of development and advancement, strong products and services we can be proud of, great reputation among clients, flexibility, the focus on work life balance is real. It's a hustle culture and a friendly, EXTREMELY non-competitive (internally) culture. It is amazing in our industry to have never been bought, sold, or merged. We have controlled our own destiny and have always been in a safe financial position. I see on a regular basis that our stable organizaiton is good for us and for our clients. No one is calling us "deadweight" to a larger organization, like we're seeing now for some competitors.

Cons

The industry is in challenging times. We must innovate and add new product lines. The culture is there to do it! I've read with dismay some of the negative/reactionary comments about individual leaders and single experiences. I cannot dismiss another person's experience. However, I ask you folks, have you NEVER had an interaction you're not proud of? Anyone who expects perfect interactions 100% of the time is pretty unrealistic. Go somewhere else and see whether that expectation is met more or less often than at DDI (after your honeymoon period). Many of the comments are from former employees, some of whom were not performing.

Advice to Management

Innovate, get things to market faster, and consider more strategic partnerships. We probably need some new different product lines. But keep and protect our culture and our independence!

3. Has the potential to be great again if leadership gets out of the way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeville, PA

I worked at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people who work at this company are wonderful. They are smart, challenging, driven and mostly big thinkers. They have a passion for what they do and what the company stands for. Also given the size of the organization, very few people have narrowly defined roles - everyone pitches in, takes initiative to get additional experience where they can (or where it is needed) and that creates opportunity to build cross-functional experience.

Cons

The leadership is completely out of touch with the associates, their needs/desires, and also with how rapidly this industry is changing. They rarely look inward with the wonderful solutions they develop and sell to use internally when making decisions about promotions or placements. There also are very few opportunities for upward mobility given how top heavy the organization is so a lot of great employees have been leaving because the career paths tend to be limited.

Advice to Management

Use the tools internally to make the best decisions for management structure and personnel, be less risk averse and let truly innovative ideas flourish, rather than squash them with "we tried that and it didn't work."

Good culture

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Coworkers are great! Flex schedules can be helpful.

Cons

Management has gone down hill. Some people in mid-management positions do not uphold the company culture but are still in the role year after year!

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and hold managers accountable.

Bullies ruin it for everyone

I have been working at Development Dimensions International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The co-workers you'll have are some of the most personable you'll ever work with. Warm and kind.

Cons

Certain managers are allowed to mistreat and abuse team members because of their tenure. Senior leadership is well aware of the problems and has a ridiculous amount of documentation. Turnover in certain departments is allowed to remain high.

Advice to Management

Do not allow managers who bully employees to ruin your entire reputation. Get rid of the bad to retain and attract the good.

7. Pros

Project teams allow exposure to all areas of talent selection and management, such as acceleration centers and 360 performance appraisals.

Cons

Can't think of any right away................................

8. Good work environment and good people

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

The people at DDI are certainly a joy to work with and many are among the top of their field. The work hours are flexible and in most cases people will be friendly

Cons

Innovation is a difficult topic and it takes some time to get new ideas through, especially if senior leaders are meddling with the process and deciding on details. IT department is completely understaffed and in some cases they seem somewhat incompetent. Biggest problem is senior leadership who is not investing in the new technology

Advice to Management

Let highly skilled people do their work.

9. DDI - A great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales

Pros

The people at DDI are great to work with!

Cons

Salary is a little low based on industry averages.

Senior management could benefit from leadership courses.

Former Employee - Project Associate
    Former Employee - Project Associate

I worked at Development Dimensions International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helpful/friendly coworkers. Nice buildings.

Cons

Several managers and department leaders lack proper leadership. Believe they are entitled to their poor actions because of seniority. "Best place to work" banner still hangs."

Advice to Management

Take a leadership class. Learn from leadership class.

11. Great Culture, People, and Professional Growth

Current Employee - Sales in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

In-role growth is highly encouraged and supported. Promotions are common in most functions. The culture is terrific (valuing others, integrity, balanced feedback, collaboration, etc.). Flexible scheduling to maintain work/life balance.

Cons

Company is just starting to become more agile. Historically a conservative company typical of family-owned organizations with senior leaders who have been in place for decades.

Advice to Management

Take more risks, fully embrace the new strategies around innovation and agility.

RSS Feed </> Embed