Devereux

Updated December 6, 2014
2.4

Devereux President & CEO Robert Kreider
Robert Kreider

Pros
  • Time Off Benefits are very generous (in 4 reviews)

• Good benefit package for full time employees (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Direct Care Professionals are either fired or they quit (in 7 reviews)

• low pay, lack of advancement opportunities, lack of resources/ support (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Residential counselor 1

Former Employee - Residential Counselor I in Red Hook, NY
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor I in Red Hook, NY

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The kids are great ! It was very rewarding knowing I was making a difference in their lives. Also, great growth and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Some staff are not so great, depending upon which house you are assigned to. The house I was assigned to was extremely disorganized and because of that, simple tasks that had to be completed took longer than they had to, etc.

The beginning and end of working in mental health

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Westminster, CO

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely rewarding, chance for overtime whenever you want, pretty good PTO policies and getting to challenge yourself

Cons

burn out!!! It can be easy to find yourself working 3 weeks without a day off as the campus is constantly short-staffed, making for a dangerous work environment. Tons of drama among employees, low pay

Take on fewer kids if you don't have the staff to safely run campus, listen to your employees concerns, pay living wages

Steer Clear!

Former Employee - Rehabilitation Counselor (Proctor Supervisor) in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Rehabilitation Counselor (Proctor Supervisor) in Boston, MA

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Manage your own weekly schedule
    Rewarding work
    Great foster parents and clients
    Built good relationships with state workers and community providers

Cons

Micro management- when upper management chooses.
    Management will NEVER back you up. They are pros at throwing you under the bus and HR drinks the Kool- Aid.
    Extremely large territory to be covered- made for unrealistic expectations surrounding paperwork and other job duties.
    VERY high turnover rate- I wonder why???
    Low salary for workload. Caseloads were way over the amount they were supposed to be, with no relief. Low mileage reimbursement did not balance out the amount of time sitting in traffic or being stuck due to weather.
    Managers are petty and trite. They will find ways to blame everything on someone else and accept responsibility for nothing.
    Management is not open to feedback and very close- minded about changes.
    Agency does not appreciate nor treat its foster parents very well.
    No chance for advancement.
    Awful morale.
    Work comes first mentality by management- as long as they don't have to deal with it.

Accept feedback in an unbiased way. Don't think everything is a personal attack.
    Accept responsibility and be open to change.
    Back your employees and appreciate them. They're there because they want to be, don't keep treating them like they're expendable and push them out the door.
    Some really in-depth evaluation is needed by the agency.
    Find ways to motivate your employees.

Rough job. Program Specialist.
     Too many inconsistent variables.

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Devon, PA
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Devon, PA

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The individuals are great.They love to come to work. The employees really try to do the jobs that they think there suppose to do.

Cons

The management is very unorganized and things are said but not done. It could be run alot better.They really do not care about staff...we are very replaceable.

Follow through and employees need to be more informed of changes.Show care for staff concerns.

Like a bad boyfriend

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Westminster, CO

I worked at Devereux full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The clients are the only reason to work for this company

Cons

My experience with Devereux was akin to getting into a relationship with an abusive, manipulative man. It was all sweetness and light during the interview process, and then - bam! Power and control games, damage to self esteem and disrespect once you are in the door. Rampant favoritism, a management staff that has an overinflated sense of ego, and which encourages poor treatment of new staff. So glad I left.

Get over power and control, and remember that every one of your staff are amazing people who have a lot to offer.

A place that cares about kids.

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefit package is competitive. The company cares about it's clients and makes decisions in the clients best interest.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. Lack of investment in employees. Upper management does not value input/voice of staff, even those with a ton of experience and knowledge of mental health industry.

Invest and promote employees based on ability and not personal cliques.

Non-Profit

I worked at Devereux

Pros

I really loved the clients I worked with

Cons

Management was more concerned about beds being filled than the appropriate care of the clients

Remember who you're really serving

Don't apply here unless you're desperate!

I have been working at Devereux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clients are the reason I work here. They make my day feel fulfilled. I wouldn't still be here if it weren't for them.

Cons

Management only care about their bottom line. They hire lazy, uncaring, unqualified supervisors. Direct Support Staff are over worked , unsupported and underpaid. Clients are left in the care of incompetent staff.

Get a heart. Remember that the clients are your first priority. Keep a watchful eye on the supervisors. They're not coming to work and when they do, they dump the workload on direct support staff then take credit or blame them when there is a problem.

Would not go back!

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rutland, MA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rutland, MA

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than an year)

Pros

met some very nice people. You do learn the value of team-work in this place. However, office politics and work drama happens all the time.

Cons

The management will never back you up on anything so you're at risk of damaging your own reputation. Incompetent people get hired and promoted and support workers end up picking up the pieces. I think this company takes in more clients than they can manage. At the end of the day, it is about profit rather than improving the quality of life for clients.

Back up your workers and be fair to people who deserve to get promoted. Also, should be very careful with who they should be admitted as clients.

Case manager review

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Devereux

Pros

Make your own schedule..

Cons

No time for anything, understaffed, not stable hours