Devereux Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
100 reviews filtered by

Don't apply here unless you're desperate!

I have been working at Devereux full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Clients are the reason I work here. They make my day feel fulfilled. I wouldn't still be here if it weren't for them.

Cons

Management only care about their bottom line. They hire lazy, uncaring, unqualified supervisors. Direct Support Staff are over worked , unsupported and underpaid. Clients are left in the care of incompetent staff.

Get a heart. Remember that the clients are your first priority. Keep a watchful eye on the supervisors. They're not coming to work and when they do, they dump the workload on direct support staff then take credit or blame them when there is a problem.

A place that cares about kids.

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The benefit package is competitive. The company cares about it's clients and makes decisions in the clients best interest.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities. Lack of investment in employees. Upper management does not value input/voice of staff, even those with a ton of experience and knowledge of mental health industry.

Invest and promote employees based on ability and not personal cliques.

Would not go back!

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rutland, MA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Rutland, MA

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than a year)

Pros

met some very nice people. You do learn the value of team-work in this place. However, office politics and work drama happens all the time.

Cons

The management will never back you up on anything so you're at risk of damaging your own reputation. Incompetent people get hired and promoted and support workers end up picking up the pieces. I think this company takes in more clients than they can manage. At the end of the day, it is about profit rather than improving the quality of life for clients.

Back up your workers and be fair to people who deserve to get promoted. Also, should be very careful with who they should be admitted as clients.

Case manager review

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Devereux

Pros

Make your own schedule..

Cons

No time for anything, understaffed, not stable hours

Excellent Social Mission, caring community; excellent benefits

Current Employee - Director in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Director in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Devereux full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Amazing people dedicated to caring for the most fragile members of society. Devereux is the right employer for someone who is hard-working, intelligent, responsible and who enjoys a challenge. There are growth opportunities for those who are motivated to advance. The total compensation package including salary and benefits is excellent. Benefits include a robust menu of choices including great medical and prescription drug coverage, time off benefits and retirement savings.

Cons

Not actually a con since it is personal empowerment ~employees must take advantage of what opportunities are available and take action. Supervisors and managers are not going to hand-hold each employee. Employees must be willing to help themselves.

Continue to strengthen the organization guaranteeing a safe, happy and healthy environment for our clients. Continue to be aware of the strengths and commitment of staff and reward them for their support whenever possible. Continue to offer a great benefit package that helps employees and their families to receive the care they need and deserve.

I worked for Devereux for many years

I worked at Devereux

Pros

The Devereux I worked for cared about their employees and the people that we serve.

Cons

Other Devereux clearly don't do or feel the same. When I was relocating I came highly recommended and they acted like they didn't even want to talk to me. They did absolutely nothing to even try and have me transfer to another state. The Devereux I was currently with went above and beyond trying to help me.

The one I worked for keep up the great job supping and seeing the potential in your employees.

Difficult place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, PA

I worked at Devereux full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits in terms of medical/dental.

Cons

Pay is low, time off is poor, open 24/7 even in states of emergency. Management is difficult to work with, people are negative and cliquey. Poor communication between management and staff. No follow through on corporate policy.

Follow through on policies put into place, value good staff and make them feel welcome.

Horrible Place

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Devereux full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are no Pros, working without breaks, even during the weekend shift where they work you like a mule for a double. It can take up to an hour for Campus Support to bother answering a call for a bathroom break. We are told we cannot bring our own food but the cafeteria food is worse than dirt.

Cons

Female Staff are treated poorly by male staff who are complete pigs/sexual predators. The kids are never listened to or truly get help here. Company just consider them a paycheck so they keep them as long as the state will let them, then they are cycled out and then back in a yr later. Staff are not safe, campus support plays on phone while Staff calls for help.Team Leads penalize Staff to deter advancement into other company branches like Parent Aide or Respite.

There is an extremely high turn-over for a reason, dorm Leads and Management are not educated enough or experienced enough. Male Staff are creeps and need more sexual harrassment training. The campus needs to be safer.Not to mention you are penalized for trying to advance within company.

Career Builder

I have been working at Devereux full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent hard working people. Opportunity to serve those in need. Great benefits and time off.

Cons

Lack of direction and accountability from upper leadership.

Evaluate importance of accountability for administrators.

11. One Team

Former Intern - Help Desk Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Intern - Help Desk Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Devereux as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The team is the best thing about the job. Everybody does their best to support everybody else. Even though this position is technically an internship, you're treated no different from full time staff (except you don't need to do after-hours support). The work is hard, but you have support from the other team members as you try to support the foundation, so it's not so bad.

Cons

The work can be difficult at times. There also isn't much in the way of learning as tier 1 support is rather basic.