Devon Energy

Devon Energy Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Devon Energy President, CEO, and Director John Richels

John Richels

Pros
  • Work-life balance supported by generous time off package (4 weeks vacation(in 9 reviews)

• Good place to work with and excellent total compensation package(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Divisions operate semi-autonomously, and rarely are opportunities for advancement advertised beyond the immediate office or division(in 3 reviews)

• There is very little room for growth, with little or no mentor ship to prepare the next generation of leaders(in 3 reviews)

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice location and infrastructure. Good benefits.

ConsContractors are second class employees. If lucky, you will be placed on a renewable contract depending on the "business" (jargon for department).

Advice to Senior ManagementDevon needs new ventures out of the USA. They are in a vulnerable position to be squeeze out by smaller and leaner E&P companies. Unfortunately natural gas prices doesn't help their portfolio nor having an energy policy in the U.S since early 70's.

No one ever gets fired

ProsCompany Culture is great.
    Devon treats employees independently; not over managed.
    You can work at Devon for pretty much forever.

ConsPromotions are largely based on time with the company and not merit.
    Upward mobility typically is a result of someone else voluntarily leaving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome people need to be let go from time to time, not just during a budget crisis. Some people don't work out. Don't be so afraid of an HR lawsuit. A lot of dead weight in the office.

Great place to work

Geoscience Technologist (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

Proslots of opportunity for grow, tons of development and education classes

ConsLateral promotions, lots of room for growth and change but they reward people coming in the organization better than those within, meaning you can get promoted to a new position with a slight bump in pay while a person coming from outside with less experience will get a more competitive salary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Records Technician (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThis is good company to work for. I worked there five and a half years. Like the other oil and gas companies, they provide good benefits for their employees. In addition, you'll find good people there to work with and work for.

ConsThere is not much bad to say. It is a large corporation and as a large corporation, they may have to make business decisions that a given person may not like. For example, there are times in the oil business when you have to exit business in one part of the country and grow business in another part of the country. This always effects jobs, but the company trys to take care of the employees that can not relocate.

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for hiring good people and remembering to take care of them as people. Thanks for five good years. I'd do it again if I could.

Great company and culture, great pay.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTreats employees well, pay is great. Plenty of opportunities to learn and improve skills.

ConsDon't have many programming opportunities. Interns do not get very impressive projects.

Great place to work.

Senior Systems Administrative (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe benefits and salary are top of the line. The people that work in the tower are the best and brightest in the industry. Fast paced and performance based. You are very well rewarded for delivering and meeting your goals

ConsThe pace lends its self to burn out. IT is moving to a open floor plan that is going to make the staff very unhappy. Moving 4 people to a cubicle that is currently the size of 2 people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe open floor plan for IT is going to hurt one of Devon's core values...Hire the best people.

While current staff may accept moving from their current nice working environment potential new hires will be quick to shy away from the cramped IT environment. Highly technical SR level IT staff they will most likely look elsewhere because of this arrangement.

The open floor plan does not appear nearly as open as staff was lead to believe and there are some hard feelings among current staff because IT appears to be the only group sacrificing space to make room for more people.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, nice place to work

ConsStock seems to be declining

Growing North American Energy Company with great benefits for locals

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsFamily oriented company culture
    Great pay, benefits, bonuses, perks (new tower restaurant, gym, etc)

ConsNot as global as some other energy companies (limited to North America)
    Not as fast moving opportunities for advancement (most employees see this company as a lifetime employer and there is not as much motivation up the career ladder)

Advice to Senior ManagementTo attract and keep talented candidates, may need to be a bit more proactive in strategy and execution

Very good company with benifits

IT Senior Security Analyst (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsDon't know any at the time for job

ConsNone at the moment right now

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

I loved the firm and couldn't have had a better experience with my time there

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThey treated their employees very well and most everyone was legitimately happy to go to work. Great pay, good hours, they did employee days where they would buy everyone ice cream etc. . .great gym. Above all great and involved managers and a good learning environment.

ConsNothing comes to mind. I suppose the only real downside is that their main operations are in Oklahoma City and some people may want to live in more urban areas, but it's a fantastic city and company.

Worked for Devon Energy? Contribute to the Community!