Dewberry

www.dewberry.com

Dewberry Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Apr 30, 2014
Dewberry – Fairfax – “Typical Cube”

Dewberry Dewberry Donald E. Stone, Jr.

Donald E. Stone, Jr.

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good autonomy to implement change.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsStrong executive leadership; excellent stability; culture evolving in positive directions; people take a lot of pride in their work and their contributions to their communities and the overall A/E/C industry.

ConsBenefits, time-off, and promotions are pretty standard for the industry. Not as quick to implement technological change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on mentoring high-potential employees.

Good environment to work as a Project Accountant

Project Accountant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFriendly atmosphere and every day knowledge gain area

ConsTraining is very friendly. I have bad exp with HR and some areas in the working area and team lead. The top management has been always flexible and culture atmosphere.

Advice to Senior Managementinform employees about what areas are not satisfied before take a decision.

Top heavy, Slow to evolve, Poor Values & Strategy

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Pros- OKish benefits
    - There are some good people here that care about the work they do. You will find them if you are lucky, and like surrounding yourself with good people in general.
    - Office Location

ConsWish an upper limit on words was set for this section, but here goes fwiw:

- Poor pay, and inconsistent and unfair employee performance review and promotion process.
    - Top heavy company with a pyramid scheme that requires the overworked staff to contribute tirelessly to projects, so the credit, financial benefits, and company focus is taken away by an incompetent middle and upper management. The ratio of managers to staff is very poor.
    - The company is slow to evolve to changing market forces and honestly, those with decision making power, and those hired to strategize are doing a very poor job.
    - Technology/ IT, and other administrative facilities are impressive on paper, but are poor on performance and delivering the support needed by staff. Marketing and HR are responsible for the Dewey comedy club and Dewey Circus respectively.
    - Scattered Company Vision: Dewberry seems to be into a lot of very many things and even traditional departments and specialists are into doing whatever remotely related work these days. A somewhat fuzzy vision has been handed down completely to middle management, while upper management manages the top-down numbers. Middle management uses weird and likely unethical practices to make the numbers, while killing the company from within on a daily basis.
    - The company promotes a culture of 'me first' and individualism. In fact, I was shocked to see 'Individualism' listed in the company's core values when I joined them! Given the scarce resources, salaries, and due credit, everyone is tempted and driven towards hoarding relentlessly for themselves. Selfishness and lack of a common big picture vision is missing at all levels of the company. They put up good honest sounding presentations, but don't buy it - it is all lip service.

So, despite being in a niche area and having a long history of doing good work, a questionable chairman (original company founder's flaky son!!), a poor company vision and strategy, and a rate of positive change slower than fossilization, is likely to take this company down many notches from its glory days.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons list carefully and rethink everything very seriously if you want to make money while doing good work.

A lot of employees often feel like money is at the bottom of all decisions at Dewberry with no rational balance of other priorities. Even making money, is done poorly. Whatever happened to doing good work as a means to getting rich? Making money is great, and I think Dewberry can do better at that, while still doing great work, if only they started managing the bottom-line, cutting inefficiency at its core, and putting people before process and tools.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wosrt Company - don't work here!

Electrical Engineer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsThey present themselves as very professional and good but its all fake - you get to know within the first month of working there!

ConsThey asked me to work long hours for free almost everyday and if I didn't, they made me feel guilty about it. For raises (if any that year), there is a common pot that everyone shares so your boss's favorite person will get the bigger share including your boss. Managers are very rude because they are unhappy for the upper management, you will be asked to charge to wrong jobs that you didn't actually work on because all other jobs are running out of money. No growth opportunities, not competent salaries but they will expect you to work until the last drop of blood is sucked.
    Its not just me, most of the people that work here agree with all this - DON'T WORK HERE, THEY USE YOU LIKE A CONDOM.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop fooling people to lure them into joining Dewberry

Mechanical/Plumbing Designer

Senior Mechanical/Plumbing Designer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI adivse not to work with Dewberry

ConsThe managers dilutes toward employees are very bad

Advice to Senior ManagementThe should think and take care of their employees.

Inconsistent

Program Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsA leader in the industry. National presence, with some interesting projects

ConsNo career development direction. Management needs to change its thinking from old to new.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is too old school, and needs to move into the modern era to attract and retain young talent.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Nice place, with nice people, but it takes more for long term success!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

Pros- Flexible Schedule
    - Compensation (this is a pro on a case by case basis, but if you ask for it and understand your value, you can be compensated well)
    - Meticulous Staff
    - Open to ideas
    - Is wanting to improve
    - there are focus groups within organization that have opportunities for growth and innovation

Cons- Lack of unified vision throughout organization
    - If you ask for a better compensation and deserve it, you might get it.. but management does not take professional efforts to identify and reward talent
    - Lack of consistent quality of employees hired and retained

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to build your company from the bottom-up and integrate relevant groups under a unified vision

No loyalty to "HERO" employees who have saved the company from possible law suits.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsCompensation and benefits are very competitive. IT equipment was up to date.

ConsUses your expertise to the max. You turn the sow's ear you've been handed into a silk purse and immediately you get applause. The following day, and I mean this literally, not figuratively, you get the boot. Thanks and GOODBYE as the door hits you in your aspirations.

Never believe any promises you hear while they are trying to lure your into working there. As soon as you put out the fire THEY were unable to control and extinguish, your boss will get rid of you so that they can personally take the accolades for your accomplishment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the useless sycophants and hire qualified experienced autonomous project managers that know what to do without micro-managing or in need of micro-management themselves.

Good place to work

GIS Developer (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsJob stability
    Work hour flexibility
    Nice people around

ConsRelatively low salary as a software developer

Good Company, well known in the DC area; Pay not great

Hazard Mapping Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsShows good loyalty.toward employees; friendly co-workers and management.

Conspoor chance for advancement; medicore pay and benefits.
    wide variation in talent levels for the same positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring benefits to competitor's level. Seek opportunities for higher margins.

Worked for Dewberry? Contribute to the Community!