Dex Media Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Dex Media CEO Joe Walsh
Joe Walsh

Pros
  • I have earned more with Dex Media than any company so far in my career (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and car/cell phone allowance as well (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Now if she would have said I wasn't thrilled with selling the Yellow Pages which everyone is cancelling maybe (in 15 reviews)

• I left Dex Media after 14 years because I was simply burnt out (in 9 reviews)

1. Management is confusing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Dex Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pros - The company had lots of benefits and paid attention to the employees in the early years.

Cons

Cons - The last couple of years from 2010 to 2012 when the company was sold for a 2nd or 3rd time which also meant a new CEO, the management was confusing and it was said that the company was in line to be sold again and this time will be broken up.

Advice to Management

If it isn't broken, don't fix it. It DID make sense.

Aug 26, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Be assured that your 10+ years of service is greatly appreciated. Thank you for providing your review.

Troubled

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Dex Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent base and commission structure.

Cons

Negative changes. Numerous bankruptcy and re-org filings. Several name changes. Tthis does not build customer confidence. Biggest problem, they sell advertising but don't advertise. No brand recognition. When they did some, very little, advertising and set up a team to take in-bound calls the results were very good. Alas, new upper management killed the golden goose and sent the operation to a call center that was not familiar with the products and the program died. Company is mired in debt. Fulfillment of digital ad programs is shoddy and amateurish.

Advice to Management

Stick with something. Stop the, ready, fire, aim mentality. Invest in your people stop the high turnover. Get rid of your YP mentality management. COLD CALLING DOES NOT WORK!

Aug 26, 2015 – Employee

Thank you for providing your feedback. -Ed

3. Your're just a number

Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Premise Media Consultant in Charleston, WV

I worked at Dex Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dex Media provides a good benefits package to their full time employees that includes health, dental, vision, disability and life insurance. They also provide an extensive paid training program.

Cons

I was an outside account executive and worked with customers at their business locations. And I loved working BTB. The downside of Dex Media is that you are just a number to them and they are more interested in merging with other like companies and then reducing the workforce. Also, their main source of revenue is print yellow pages and we all know that the YP's are not just dying, they are on life support. They have been trying to move the company to digital media advertising but, it is not growing fast enough to keep pace with the rapidly decreasing print media revenue. So even though I met or exceeded my digital sales goals, my print media sales numbers were bringing my overall numbers down. So when the company is doing a reduction in force and your numbers are not quit where they should be, you're out. As a matter of fact, the office that I worked out of is now completely closed. This office at one time had over 40 people ( Inside & Outside Sales, support staff & managers ) working out of it.

Advice to Management

Value your people, not just the numbers.

Aug 26, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Thank you for your time and commitment devoted to Dex Media. We know that change can sometimes be hard for all involved. Thank you for your feedback.

Great company that will go far!

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Marlton, NJ
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Marlton, NJ

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job is the best paying job, best benefits job, and overall greatest company I have ever worked for. Sometimes I wake up and wonder how I got this lucky. The CEO has an incredible vision for the company going forward. He, as well as ALL the Senior Management and Senior Execs are readily available and actually listen to you and read your e-mails if you have concerns. The position I have is what you make of it. You will either work very hard and make crazy money, or work a little and still make decent pay. It is unlike any other sales and marketing position I have ever held in that your team is actually a team-they want you to succeed, go far, make money and do well. Just about all of the positions are work from home at this point, with most of the offices going virtual. This has both challenges and benefits, but more benefits than anything else. My schedule is incredibly flexible and when I describe my day-to-day to friends and family, they think I am joking because my job is just that good.

Cons

The job is not for everyone! If you are not a people person, if you need someone to hand-hold you through just about everything you do, or you can't balance working from home and having lots of distractions from family around...this probably is not for you. You need to embrace ALL forms of advertising and as much of the training as possible. This company WILL treat you like royalty, but you have to return the favor by not sitting home doing nothing all day. Work hard, and you will do amazing with Dex and go very far. There is so much room for advancement, but not everyone is cut out for the initial sales position to get to the next level. Know your limits.

Advice to Management

Really review the training structure. Make sure that there is optimal support for new hires. IST was great, FST could be better. I also hope to eventually see us do even more with digital and SO much less with print. Particularly the YP. Even the older generations don't want to buy it anymore. I'd have an easier time selling Instagram. (Hint!) :) Overall-great job! I love the company!

Aug 10, 2015 – Employee

Hi - We're happy to have you on board and part of the Dex Media team. We greatly appreciate you voicing your insights and providing your valuable feedback. We're listening to the voice of the ... More

6. Some Management In-Effective

Current Employee - Premise Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Premise Media Consultant

Pros

Great Outlook with new products.

Cons

Need for new management. (Previous Award Winner that has no more motivation). Used to love my job and now I hate it. New manager does not travel into field to help. Does not coach and does not take phone calls. Does not have our backs when we need special requests pushed through. Will handle the easy stuff but when asked to handle the ugly things manager just sweeps it under the rug. De-motivating.

Advice to Management

Clean House

Aug 26, 2015 – Employee

Hi - We hate to hear that you feel management isn't there for your support and assistance when needed. We're more than eager to discuss your outlined concerns with you. Please contact us at ... More

7. Marketing Consultant

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will be rewarded if you exceed your goals. The people who choose this job enjoy selling and creating relationships with business owners.

Cons

It is not a nine to five job. The sales teams are about 10 or more reps with one manager. Compensation is down but once the new products are rolled out that will change.

Advice to Management

This is a great job however, there is room for improvement. Looking forward to having the new systems in place. The reps I work with are great people. Treat your reps well and the business will grow.

Aug 10, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Thank you for the 10+ years of service and commitment provided to Dex Media. Change can be difficult for all involved, but we know that we can reach all the goals set with the help of dedicated ... More

8. Telephone Marketing Consultant

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

Pros

Great incentives, pay, and culture!

Cons

Lot of ongoing change, but excited for everything to come together!

Aug 10, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Yes, we are all excited about the changes that our leadership team have put in place! Keep up the hard work and continue to provide your feedback as we move forward. -Ed

Great Opportunity

Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Dex Media full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Every day I had the opportunity to make money.

Cons

The company failed to re-brand themselves as a leader in the Digital Marketing industry therefore leaving us branded as a print marketing company.

Jul 30, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Thank you for providing over 8+ years of dedicated service to the company. Your feedback is appreciated. -Ed

10. Media Consultant

Former Employee - Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Dex Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Innovative/evolving products and services. When goals are met and/or exceeded you are given flexibility and freedom with less micro-managing.

Cons

The innovative/evolving products and services are also a con. There always seemed to be some confusion, company wide, when these new things are launched. Took some time to "really" get it together.

Advice to Management

It seemed, in my experience, my manager lacked knowledge in products and services due to the fact that he was overloaded with a large sales team and not enough time to keep up with what "we" sell.

Hi - We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. -Ed

National Sales Manager

Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - National Sales Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Dex Media (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you put in the time and effort and get lucky on market and customers, this company will still pay its best sales people very well.

Cons

Dex Media has many left over from the GTE/Verizon days to keep the company going, but Industry still too relied on Print Yellow Pages to survive. Change in leadership every couple of years only speeds the decline.

Aug 5, 2015 – Employee

Hi - Thank you for providing 5+ years of dedicated service. Your feedback is appreciated. -Ed

RSS Feed </> Embed