Dex Media

Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Dex Media CEO Joe Walsh
Joe Walsh

Pros
  • Dex Media has transformed from the leader in print media to the leader in digital media (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and they are always searching for ways to succeed in the market (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • company scrambling to bolster a dying revenue base of yellow pages print (in 15 reviews)

• I left Dex Media after 14 years because I was simply burnt out (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

It's trying to survive

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Dex Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Not much, just try to figure out a way to survive here. If you can sell, I'm sure they will keep you. This place basically sucks and you won't have a long term future...I can promise that. The company will be broken up and sold when the new CEO is done.

Cons

This company is a dinosaur in almost every way. They are basically a channel reseller for Google and with Google increasing the "premier partners" count, it is diluting the value of the designation.

There is ZERO culture here. You are lucky to have a decent coffee in the break room...oh wait, they even got rid of that.

If you are looking for a relevant company to parlay your experience into future endeavors, look elsewhere because this company sells primarily print with added SEM/SEO. There is nothing relevant or high tech here.

Stop chasing trends and technology, going "virtual" is not going to solve the problems. Develope a good leads generation group and let your sales people sell, not waste time cold calling. Closing is a different art than the basics associated with qualifying a lead. You also just slit your throat with the hatchet style lay-offs. There was nothig tactical about it and you lost the majority of the people who knew what the heck was going on, and retained a "click"of employees (those that were kept kissed their bosses butts) who have little to no education and will add no value. Stop being run by process and use your minds to invent and improve.

Jan 8, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We take all employee concerns seriously and know that change can be difficult. Thank you for your 10 + years of service and for providing your feedback. -Ed

Great company but still is carrying dead weight!

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Local reps
    Solutions for small to medium businesses
    Success stories available for new businesses looking to invest/ advertise

Cons

Compensation plan needs work!
    Since latest reduction company decided to place their mostly talentless useless man agent back to reps but with an elite title and a larger base then the regular soldiers! Totally not fair!

Union or no union the company should not keep spoon feeding these former managers that have taken enough out of the company ! They ( for the most part) have not developed , trained or assisted in any of their reps growth! Totally about them an no one else! Unacceptable! The new leadership should be ashamed!

Jan 6, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you greatly for your 10 + years of service! We appreciate your feedback and know that change can be difficult. -Ed

Great start, Can't blame them for Restructure Lay Offs

I worked at Dex Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Dex really does take care of every aspect of the job, compensating for gas/car allowance/mileage, giving awesome commissions, and salary base, providing great training, encouragement on sales, company wide acknowledgments, and great work environment and culture. I thoroughly enjoyed all my co-workers (they hire great people), and I know that they are making big changes to the company structure and that requires a salesforce reduction, but I don't necessarily blame them for making smart moves for their corp future, even though it affected me with a lay off. I would love to go back, once they restabilize and move into a growth phase again. Quality people giving quality work. This is a real career opportunity. I couldn't review them more highly.

Cons

2 months after I was hired, their President decided to retire and give the reins to the former President of Hibu. This new CEO quickly (and I mean QUICKLY) implimented a restructure plan company wide, within 3 months of his hire. But from what I can see, it's going to give them a great opportunity to catapult to a good over stable situation with growth. So, it was a smart decision. I don't fault them for it. Just caught in the cross hairs that's all.

I was impressed with management. I also didn't feel micromanaged which was super motivating because of the respect I felt for them not being that way. They had good sales tracking organization, simple, not intrusive, and amazing training/trainers.

Jan 12, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you for your contributions to the company and for taking the time to post your review. It's greatly appreciated. -Ed

Helps small and medium size business grow.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Dex Media

Pros

Great team environment. Loved the people I worked with

Cons

Going through a lot of changes now.

I think you are going in the right direction.

Jan 7, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you for your service! We really appreciate you taking the time to post your review. -Ed

Great opportunities under new management team

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Dex Media

Pros

Streamlined operations, nice job cleaning house!

Cons

still too many "legacy" executives

still more new blood needs to be brought in

Jan 6, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you kindly for taking the time to provide your feedback! -Ed

No job security as company is going through very tough financial times.

Current Employee - Premise Media Consultant
    Current Employee - Premise Media Consultant

I have been working at Dex Media full-time

Pros

Health Benefits were very good.
    Commission levels were very good at one time but constantly decreasing.

Cons

Company just laid off 1000 employees this year and 35% of their sales staff nationwide.
    You can get laid off or fired at any time as the company is in a very tough financial condition right now.

micro management led partly to this company's current problems.
    More time was spent in useless meetings and answering repetitive, foolish questions to management instead of letting their sales staff go out and sell or service their clients' needs!

Jan 15, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We know that change can be difficult for all involved. Thank you for providing your feedback and be assured that comments shared will be viewed as we move forward. -Ed

Unpredictable future and questionable job security

I worked at Dex Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is some decent money to be made, but your results point in time could end that very quickly. That being said, it is a good springboard into another sales job elsewhere.

Cons

Job eliminations are random and don't take into account any previous years or results. There is a lot of tedious reporting and micro-management.

Give your reps the resources they need to do their jobs, and solve issues when they arise with digital products so your reps don't lose credibility with their customers.

Jan 19, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- Thank you for your 10 + years of service to the company as it's greatly appreciated! Be assured that your feedback will not go unheard as we welcome all employee feedback. -Ed

Was a good place to start, but things have changed dramatically in the past year

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good pay and benefits if you can make it to full time (and avoid getting laid off.)
    - You'll work with a lot of really great people.

Cons

- It is very difficult to become full time; there is very little opportunity for upward mobility if you begin as a contractor.
    - Constant layoffs with no rehiring leads to an overworked skeleton crew, which made morale pretty low even before the massive RIF that just occurred.

Jan 20, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We greatly value our contract employees for all the work that they do to help the company grow. Your feedback is important to us. Thank you for taking the time to post your review. -Ed

Laid off after Twenty Years of Successful Sales and Client Relations

Former Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant in Muskegon, MI
    Former Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant in Muskegon, MI

I worked at Dex Media full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

While employed I was fairly compensated based on sales performance. The organization did provide affordable and effective advertising/marketing solutions (products & services) to their customer base that involved both digital as well as proven print advertising solutions. All advertising was available with call tracking and reporting services which helped both the field sales reps and the clients better understand and manage their advertising. We were able to make informed business decisions and recommendations based on factual local data.

Cons

Top management decisions seemed to me to be based more on meeting the perceived expectations of their investors rather than meeting the needs of the clients or the retention of trusted and successful sales and account executives.

Over the period of 2 decades I survived many company name changes, mergers, re-organizations and down sizing with accompanying RIFs (reductions in force).

In my view the company was short sighted in that they were too focused on short term perceived gains in new technologies and strategies. The emphasis was placed on transferring or transitioning clients limited advertising dollars from profitable and effective printed advertising in local phone book (yellow pages) to the more expensive and less effective digital advertising.

Top management needs to listen to their loyal long time sales and account executives in the field who are closest to the clients and understand the needs of the local client based on their local markets. Centralization and consolidation and the tendencies to relay too very on technology has basically ignored the value of the local trusted media/marketing consultant. My clients trusted me and often worked closely with me on the based recommendation for their local advertising/marketing needs based on their local market and their budgets.

Jan 26, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We can't thank you enough for the years of service that you've offered to the company! Change can definitely be hard for all involved. Be assured that your comments are not going unheard as we ... More

Strong Training Program, Micromanagement to its fullest, Print is dying

Current Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Dex Media full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Strong training program to set you up for success in the future. Great beginning job to set you up with another outside sales position. Reimbursements are amazing. Peers you are surrounded with will be some of the best in your career. Some of the digital products are amazing, but some just need to be done away with. (Prime display, dex knows, etc..) Pay is OK, but the compensation plan needs a little restructuring. The value you bring to a customer is exteremly sought after, and the success stories you hear will truly brighten your day. Helping others is a big plus to this job, if they want to be helped.

Cons

Micromanagement is at an all time high with Dex Media. Unfortunately the reps do not get the freedom they deserve to do the job, and are constantly checked up on to make sure they are doing the work. Print is dying, therefore it is very hard to sell and renew products. Digital products don't always work, and customers are left with a bad taste in their mouths after their program is up for renewal. Tough company to work for if you're new. Extra hours will be required always. Worked 10 hour days every day for 6 months. Challenge to keep up with all the changes the company is going through.

STOP micromanaging. Your reps will work harder if you give them the freedom they deserve. It has an adverse affect on the mental state of the rep if you constantly nag and harass them about their performance. Yes, a motivational meeting is useful every now and then but positive reinforcement please, not negative. Please just get rid of print all together, the company will go under if you continue to sell print. The bottom line of the company knows best since we all handle the clients face to face.

Jan 28, 2015Reputation Management Coordinator

Hi- We're happy to have you as part of the team. New jobs or positions can sometimes present challenges, but hard work and determination usually pays off every time along with a supportive management ... More