Dex One
www.dexone.com Dallas, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Dex One Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Peter J. McDonald

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance prior to merger"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Great benefits, potentially great income, great business building relationships with accounts"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Perception of Company: Still associated first and foremost as a yellow pages company, even though the digital offerings are vast"
    in 19 reviews
  • "You cant report anything to upper management or HR because you will be fired"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great opportunities for those who can sell and are willing to put forth the effort!

Outside Sales Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Dex One full-time for more than 10 years

Pros-Compensation: I worked in sales for 9 years and made pretty decent money (low 6 figures)
-Products: Hands down the best digital solutions for small/medium sized businesses (not w/o fault, but still the best)
-People: Customers, co-workers, etc. Great opportunity to get out there and meet a really diverse group of people.
-Training: almost 8 weeks of classroom and field sales training. Ongoing support and online courses.

Cons-Perception of Company: Still associated first and foremost as a yellow pages company, even though the digital offerings are vast.
-Base pay: I know this shouldn't be a huge concern, because if you can sell who cares, but it would be nice to have a bigger base.
-People: Although this was a pro as well, there are plenty of people who either A) can't sell, so they blame the company/products/anything but themselves, or B) don't want to put in the activity it takes to be successful, so they complain all the time and try to deflate the rest of us.

Advice to Senior Management-Upping the base salary would bring in a better set of sales professionals, initially.
-Free up as much time as possible for the sales managers to be able to get in the field and coach more

Great Co-Workers

Graphic Designer (Former Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I worked at Dex One full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTeamwork, Humor and Professionalism. We had a great team who worked well together. Shared many interests both in and outside of the company. Understood the dynamics and deadlines.

ConsCompany decided to outsource jobs. Created tension and we lost focus and clients.Company purchased, new owners direction was not inline with overall potential of company.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff. Our success was based on long standing trial and error. Your idea of streamlining ultimately hurt the bottom line, and customers lost faith in company as a whole. Was the extra dollars you saved worth the ones you lost?

I worked hard and was given rewards for it. Great place to work before technology made negative difference.

National Fulfilment Coordinator (Former Employee)
Morrisville, NC

I worked at Dex One full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDex One is a telephone book publisher and is a very interesting place to work. There is much to learn there they do promote from within.

ConsThe only cons is that technology pushed the telephone book industry out of business. My department closed because of that and the work was shipped to India, What a shame!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company has great work ethics.

account exec

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dex One

Proshigh commissions
lucrative contests
good benefits
great training

Consno work life balance
nobody uses the yp

Old school ideas in a modern world

Digital Media Consultant Sales (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dex One full-time for more than a year

ProsDex can be a good place to work. Good benefits and training. Great on your resume'

ConsDex has merged with Super Media and combined two bankrupt companies. Yet they still go after the print yellow page business.

Really tough environment

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat Training and understanding of goals

ConsSelling a dying product that is a dinosaur

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more personable

Sinking Ship

Premise Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dex One full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCommissions are fair to good, bonus opportunities are fair

ConsCompany only markets in Metro, online services are sub-standard

Advice to Senior Managementthe definition of insanity....

Telephone marketing consultant

Marketing Consultant - Telephone (Former Employee)
Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time for more than a year

ProsLucrative pay and rewards for those who work hard at it. Great benefits and a matching 401k. 20 paid days off per year to start and goes up at year 3. Business casual work environment and they let you wear jeans.

ConsI have several challenges to address to you:

1. (Although this is a half pro and half con) I won the Distinguished Circle Award the month before I was let go and surpassed my quotas for 2012. They let me go because of a dialer issue. I was one of the highest paid on the floor and they probably didn't want to pay out anymore. Plus the politics of the merger were happening, so they got rid of me.

2. Heavy focus on the dialer to make cold calls.

3. Heavy focus on micromanagement (even if you are a top performing rep)

4. Managers are two faced and will tell you, you are doing a great job, give you awards and then cut you the same week for petty issues beyond explaining

5. Company is still in massive debt as of 2014 and as it looks, the merger did not do them one bit of good.

6. Massive attrition from the telephone sales department

7. Heavy focus on a sales center like environment

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing on the dialer and more on your employees. As you will notice for the future, your tenured employees will leave and go elsewhere if you don't treat them with respect. They do not work in a sweat shop and neither do you! Stop micromanaging and let your employees work. It will surprise you that they are more productive without someone breathing down their throats all the time for little petty issues. Take my advice and you will be ok. Thanks.

Great company, always improving always changing, needs to communicate better

Marketing Consultant (Current Employee)
Springfield, IL

I have been working at Dex One full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat pay, benefits, educational assistance. Work hard and can usually be promoted. good atmosphere.

ConsManagement doesnt understand the job, Need to have better tech vendors, more cross functional communication. Managers dont always manage well.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend a day in the life and get re-aclimated to what your sales people do. Then figure out ways to improve the process to increase efficiencies.

Employees are compensated well for their efforts

I have been working at Dex One full-time

ProsThe sell Yellow Page Advertising

ConsThey sell many digital solutions to SMB's

Worked for Dex One? Contribute to the Community!

Dex One – Why Work for Us?

About Us Your growth is our mission We care about small business success. It’s why we provide smart, searchable advertising, free marketing consultations, and expert online resources—all designed to help local… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dex One reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dex One CEO Peter J. McDonald. All 223 reviews posted anonymously by Dex One employees.