Dex One

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.9

Peter J. McDonald

Pros
  • Great work/life balance prior to merger (in 12 reviews)

• Great benefits, potentially great income, great business building relationships with accounts (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • You have people in their 50's that have only sold yellow pages in their life trying to sell new social media products to businesses (in 21 reviews)

• You cant report anything to upper management or HR because you will be fired (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

so, so job. Great income but don't rest your future on it.

Former Employee - Premise Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Premise Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dex One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Base + commission, training is excellent & co workers are great.

Cons

Management, travel, hard to advance, online is a hard sell

Great opportunities for those who can sell and are willing to put forth the effort!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Marketing Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Marketing Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Dex One full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Compensation: I worked in sales for 9 years and made pretty decent money (low 6 figures)
    -Products: Hands down the best digital solutions for small/medium sized businesses (not w/o fault, but still the best)
    -People: Customers, co-workers, etc. Great opportunity to get out there and meet a really diverse group of people.
    -Training: almost 8 weeks of classroom and field sales training. Ongoing support and online courses.

Cons

-Perception of Company: Still associated first and foremost as a yellow pages company, even though the digital offerings are vast.
    -Base pay: I know this shouldn't be a huge concern, because if you can sell who cares, but it would be nice to have a bigger base.
    -People: Although this was a pro as well, there are plenty of people who either A) can't sell, so they blame the company/products/anything but themselves, or B) don't want to put in the activity it takes to be successful, so they complain all the time and try to deflate the rest of us.

-Upping the base salary would bring in a better set of sales professionals, initially.
    -Free up as much time as possible for the sales managers to be able to get in the field and coach more

Great Co-Workers

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Dex One full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Teamwork, Humor and Professionalism. We had a great team who worked well together. Shared many interests both in and outside of the company. Understood the dynamics and deadlines.

Cons

Company decided to outsource jobs. Created tension and we lost focus and clients.Company purchased, new owners direction was not inline with overall potential of company.

Listen to your staff. Our success was based on long standing trial and error. Your idea of streamlining ultimately hurt the bottom line, and customers lost faith in company as a whole. Was the extra dollars you saved worth the ones you lost?

account exec

I worked at Dex One

Pros

high commissions
    lucrative contests
    good benefits
    great training

Cons

no work life balance
    nobody uses the yp

Old school ideas in a modern world

Former Employee - Digital Media Consultant Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Digital Media Consultant Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Dex One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Dex can be a good place to work. Good benefits and training. Great on your resume'

Cons

Dex has merged with Super Media and combined two bankrupt companies. Yet they still go after the print yellow page business.

I worked hard and was given rewards for it. Great place to work before technology made negative difference.

Former Employee - National Fulfilment Coordinator in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - National Fulfilment Coordinator in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Dex One full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Dex One is a telephone book publisher and is a very interesting place to work. There is much to learn there they do promote from within.

Cons

The only cons is that technology pushed the telephone book industry out of business. My department closed because of that and the work was shipped to India, What a shame!

The company has great work ethics.

Really tough environment

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Denver, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Training and understanding of goals

Cons

Selling a dying product that is a dinosaur

Be more personable

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant
    Current Employee - Premise Marketing Consultant

I have been working at Dex One full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Commissions are fair to good, bonus opportunities are fair

Cons

Company only markets in Metro, online services are sub-standard

the definition of insanity....

Telephone marketing consultant

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant - Telephone in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant - Telephone in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Dex One full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lucrative pay and rewards for those who work hard at it. Great benefits and a matching 401k. 20 paid days off per year to start and goes up at year 3. Business casual work environment and they let you wear jeans.

Cons

I have several challenges to address to you:

1. (Although this is a half pro and half con) I won the Distinguished Circle Award the month before I was let go and surpassed my quotas for 2012. They let me go because of a dialer issue. I was one of the highest paid on the floor and they probably didn't want to pay out anymore. Plus the politics of the merger were happening, so they got rid of me.

2. Heavy focus on the dialer to make cold calls.

3. Heavy focus on micromanagement (even if you are a top performing rep)

4. Managers are two faced and will tell you, you are doing a great job, give you awards and then cut you the same week for petty issues beyond explaining

5. Company is still in massive debt as of 2014 and as it looks, the merger did not do them one bit of good.

6. Massive attrition from the telephone sales department

7. Heavy focus on a sales center like environment

Stop focusing on the dialer and more on your employees. As you will notice for the future, your tenured employees will leave and go elsewhere if you don't treat them with respect. They do not work in a sweat shop and neither do you! Stop micromanaging and let your employees work. It will surprise you that they are more productive without someone breathing down their throats all the time for little petty issues. Take my advice and you will be ok. Thanks.

Great company, always improving always changing, needs to communicate better

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Springfield, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant in Springfield, IL

I have been working at Dex One full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, educational assistance. Work hard and can usually be promoted. good atmosphere.

Cons

Management doesnt understand the job, Need to have better tech vendors, more cross functional communication. Managers dont always manage well.

Spend a day in the life and get re-aclimated to what your sales people do. Then figure out ways to improve the process to increase efficiencies.