DexCom

DexCom President, CEO, and Director Terry Gregg

Terry Gregg

Whaaaaaaa

Technical Support (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsLimited lunch time options in house.

It is what you make of it.

ProsGreat product. Great people to work with.

ConsI do have sincere feelings about there being severe "Favoritism" on site as well. I can't help but see it.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore teambuilding exercises should be added. Please listen to the advice of your subordinates. We all come from somewhere and have some decent things to add.

Stressful environment with too many moving pieces

ProsCompensation with spiffs and bonuses can be very fair, also get car allowance and decent benefits. Great stock options. Incredible product.

ConsSo much growth is creating growing pains across the board

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of organizational skills - unhappy employees

ProsDecent salary and bonus's. Insurance is relatively decent. Company is growing fast. They feed you at the end of the month.

ConsEmployees are overworked and there is a high turnover rate. Management leans towards favoritism. Many unhappy employees who are over worked, which causes burnout. Employees are constantly stressed out and work under a big microscope. Lack of training and organizational skills. Temps are cut loose and taken advantage of. Many unhappy customers complaining. This company has a blacked out month, where employees cannot take anytime off! Holidays are made for family, not your dollar amount! Some sale assistants are not very polite.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to stray away from favoritism within the company. Respect your employees. Stop the gossiping! Not healthy and very unprofessional! Perhaps management should be the one who is micromanaged. How would they like that?

Great place to work and learn

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe people are friendly and willing to help. The upper management are willing to help in improving your career. You learn so much experience that will advance you in your next position. The work is fast paced but keeps you busy and the day goes by fast. The company's R&D department are relentless in improving the product so there is always something new happening. I have learned so much in such a little time.

ConsThe company is growing so fast that there are not enough parking spaces for the employee's.
    The 401K plan doesn't match any contributions.
    There are not that many perks for being an employee.

Programmer Analyst

Programmer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall Company. Easy to approach management

Consgrowth potential limited because it was a smaller company.

BEWARE OF COMPANY! Supervisors are unprofessional and have lack of respect for employees.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe pay is decent, but supervisors give you so much work sometimes that you can't finish it all. The benefits are decent.

ConsToo much work or overload of work for the pay. Supervisors don't have a whole lack of respect for their subordinates, unless they see you as one of their favorite. Work is not evenly distributed among employees. I was a permanent administrative assistant for less than a year and some of the other administrative assistants had twice the amount of work that I completed. Because of the uneven work load; this created tension and hostility among the administrative team.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should get more organize and communicate with each other (in order to pass information down to lower staff members). Management should stop showing favoritism and be respectful and mature to subordinates. THIS IS A JOB, NOT A WORKPLACE FOR SUPERVISORS TO BE GOSSIPING! The sales team shouldn't be so demanding and rude to the admin.

Lack of professionalism and respect

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSmall company, so you will see the higher level management there and become friendly with them.
    Great product with a customer-centric focus. They have relatively few competitors so the company will be around for a while.

Cons- High turnover of employees. Contractors and temps beware! They may hire you under the false pretense that it is "temp-to-hire", but myself as well as a few other contractors were let go after the first month (after helping them through their busiest month of the year, December) for "overhead reasons" (which means they knew all along they were not going to hire us permanently). So beware of this. In addition, the majority of their admin staff (6 out of 8) were temps that they had yet to bring on permanently. I'm not sure how Dexcom gets away with this, but it is just another example of how they take advantage of their employees.
    - Lack of opportunities for growth. They really only have sales and tech support positions (unless you're an engineer).
    - You WILL have to work holidays. It is required that everyone in the customer support roles (which is everyone except engineers and manufacturers) work on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. No exceptions unless you're a senior staff member who's been there forever.
    - Unprofessional attitudes from other staff in the sales department. If you make a mistake, you will get five different emails telling you about it (and not all of them polite). Definitely some caddy and unprofessional girls that make the environment a little less conducive for teamwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes to the unprofessional manner in which your employees conduct themselves. Also, stop taking advantage of them.

Company grows at expense of employees

Quality Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVariety of projects, exciting technology, growing company with smaller company culture.

ConsPoor inter- and intra-departmental communication, incentives only for management level and above, several new managers/directors who are great engineers but terrible managers, not enough morale-boosting activities and incentives to offset the overtime required to meet deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more extensive training, besides MAPS, to managers and directors; offer incentives to engineer level employees for meeting project deadlines; show more effort in obtaining additional parking options that are feasible for employees (or at least reimburse for damaged shoes...).

Decently bad work experience.

Technical Support (Former Employee) Mira Mesa, CA

ProsCompany makes a product, and only has 1 competitor. This means it's not going anywhere, anytime soon, i.e. stable job. Benefits are also good, pay was decent.

ConsSilo'd environment, very difficult to communicate with other departments, and very difficult to communicate up the ladder as well. Understaffed and overworked in some departments, leading to high burnout and turnover. Poor management. It would've been nice to at least get a cost of living raise in the 3 years that I was there. No room for upward movement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood culture starts from the top down...if you want your employees to be happy, you need to make that part of the multitude of other priorities that you're responsible for. Yes it is an additional load to ask for, but much needed. It's probably too late though, since Dexcom has been public for several years now and is responsible to the board and shareholders.

Worked for DexCom? Contribute to the Community!