Dezan Shira and Associates

Good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

people in the company are nice. They will teach you a lot.

Cons

nothing bad about the company.

Management is very good. The coach is also excellent. You can learn a lot.

Don't waste your time here

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was very nice to get free access to all their publications and to be able to say that you worked here, after all that apparently still is worth something on your resume.

Cons

Complete lack of coordination within the management, no clear vision or future development. Furthermore I seriously feel that the company is taking advantage over young enthusiastic people who are looking to get more experience in Asia, reality is that this company just wants cheap robots that can speak a foreign language, there is much better companies out there to work for.

Start treating people with respect and decency, they deserve it. Furthermore for a consultancy company they should do an internal audit and restructure and set strategy or they will vanish in Asia like so many other foreign companies.

accounting intern

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates

Pros

good company and provide good chances to learn.

Cons

busy every day. it would be even more better if the period of intern is more longer.

Great professional experience. Perfect for who want to learn in depth about the Asian Market.

Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Marketing Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at Dezan Shira and Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The internship was designed to satisfy all my learning objectives. Projects let me learn a lot of economics things about the Asian Market and increase my professional, leadership and communication skills. The work environment is very organized but at the same time extremely friendly.

Cons

Some tasks are repetitive and could become a bit boring.

Great Place to Launch a Career in International Business, Foreign Investment, and Trade

Former Employee - Publications Editor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Publications Editor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I initially began as an Editorial Assistant at Dezan Shira/Asia Briefing and was hired full-time as an Editor three months later. Overall, it was a great place to cut my teeth in international economics and trade shortly after graduating with my BA degree. As an international company, Dezan Shira provided me with the opportunity to work on projects and publications related to several different developing markets across Asia, and was an excellent learning experience. I left the company as a virtual expert on the fundamentals of taxation, audit, FDI, and market entry in India, Singapore, and ASEAN and continued my career in consulting in the United States.

The company culture is tight-knit, yet professional--while we took our work and clients very seriously, I often spent time with my coworkers outside the office and became close friends with several of them.

Cons

Working with several international offices can be challenging in terms of communications, workflow, and relationship building.

Great way to experience what its like to work in China

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Dezan Shira (DSA) provided me an amazing opportunity to work in China while still in college. The biggest takeaway for me was the amount of knowledge you have access to while working there. DSA has great connections that allows it to offer interpretations of key legislation in China, India, and throughout DSA before anyone else. As a founder of a Asia-focused startup, I still use their materials.

Cons

The downside is a lot of the internships are unpaid; therefore, if you are looking for a comfortable internship with good benefits and pay this may not be for you. If on the other hand, you view it as an investment in your future I think you will find it is worth the short time sacrifice.

Encourage more interaction between local and non-local staff

Great opportunities to become proactive

Former Employee - Editorial and Marketing Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Editorial and Marketing Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Mentoring in the Beijing Office is guided by 3 interviews> after the first week to set goals, halfway through to adjust and give feedback and at the end of teh internship to give feedback again.
    - great opportunities to take responsibility for your own work and initiate projects.
    - great networking opportunities and spending many evenings with colleagues eating out etc.
    - opportunities to work together with people from other offices.

Cons

- insufficient remuneration for interns.
    - less mentoring in other offices.

- Give clearer instructions.
    - Encourage proactivity.

Good internship in a multinational environment

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- you can get a lot of insights regarding business in Asia from articles and content from the company´s magazine Asia Briefing
    - you go out to events and seminars, meet potential partners for cooperation etc.
    - very nice colleagues always ready to help. You are always a part of the team.
    - you take leadership on projects (depends on the internship duration and your skills)
    -For me it was a great experience to work together with chinese and international colleagues. I had the chance to improve my communication skills and I learned a lot about a culture that is so different from mine

Cons

- salary is low
    - sometimes communication between other offices and people you work with (outside of Beijing office) is difficult

-Would have been nice to get some trainings for example management training, communication training, creativity training
    - Should be more interaction between Business Development department and Marketing department

Limited interaction with co-workers but a lot of opportunities to gain insight into the industry

Current Employee - Business Development Intern in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)
    Current Employee - Business Development Intern in Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam)

Pros

Your manager will know you personally and you will have a lot of opportunities to work directly with the manager and the client.

Cons

The office has very few people; therefore, there will not be a chance for you to work in group and discuss about the project. Everything comes from the manager's order and goes back straight to her.

There should be more spaces for personal growth in the office. The employer can do this by improving the company culture, allow more interaction and team work within groups in the company

Working Ambience

Former Employee - Associate Finance in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Finance in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Supportive, professional and ethical managers

Cons

strict timings and less manpower

timings are strict.