Dezan Shira and Associates Reviews

Reset
3.8
CEO

1. accounting intern

Pros

good company and provide good chances to learn.

Cons

busy every day. it would be even more better if the period of intern is more longer.

Don't waste your time here

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was very nice to get free access to all their publications and to be able to say that you worked here, after all that apparently still is worth something on your resume.

Cons

Complete lack of coordination within the management, no clear vision or future development. Furthermore I seriously feel that the company is taking advantage over young enthusiastic people who are looking to get more experience in Asia, reality is that this company just wants cheap robots that can speak a foreign language, there is much better companies out there to work for.

Advice to Management

Start treating people with respect and decency, they deserve it. Furthermore for a consultancy company they should do an internal audit and restructure and set strategy or they will vanish in Asia like so many other foreign companies.

3. Goood experience

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Pros

Good work environment, good people. Work is quite interesting and keeps you engaged. Worked as editorial intern.

Cons

Lack of communication between higher staff/staff in other locations. Intern pay is quite poor. Maybe try to pay a bit better to incentivize interns more. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Pay interns

5. Great supervisor and great staff.

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had the best supervisor ever. Work-life balance is pretty good. Got chance to participate in business events even though I was just an intern.

Cons

The office was a bit crowded

Advice to Management

higher salary for interns

6. Great Place to Launch a Career in International Business, Foreign Investment, and Trade

Former Employee - Publications Editor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Former Employee - Publications Editor in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I initially began as an Editorial Assistant at Dezan Shira/Asia Briefing and was hired full-time as an Editor three months later. Overall, it was a great place to cut my teeth in international economics and trade shortly after graduating with my BA degree. As an international company, Dezan Shira provided me with the opportunity to work on projects and publications related to several different developing markets across Asia, and was an excellent learning experience. I left the company as a virtual expert on the fundamentals of taxation, audit, FDI, and market entry in India, Singapore, and ASEAN and continued my career in consulting in the United States. The company culture is tight-knit, yet professional--while we took our work and clients very seriously, I often spent time with my coworkers outside the office and became close friends with several of them.

Cons

Working with several international offices can be challenging in terms of communications, workflow, and relationship building.

7. Working Ambience

Former Employee - Associate Finance in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Former Employee - Associate Finance in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Supportive, professional and ethical managers

Cons

strict timings and less manpower

Advice to Management

timings are strict.

8. Marketing Assistant

Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Marketing Assistant in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good working conditions -Independent when you're working

Cons

-Same tasks -Bosses are not very professional

9. Very positive, dynamic firm and given immediate responsibilities in a live corporate environment

Former Employee - Legal Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Given proper work to do and made to feel part of a team. The Managing Partner reached out and took several of us out to dinner to ask us about our careers and offer advise. Good friendly staff and a pleasant working atmosphere in an international business.

Cons

They don't pay interns but they let you know this in advance so some of the complaints about that are unjustified. If you need a salary intern elsewhere. Also I understand now some difficulties with Chinese employment law and hiring interns as well. So I had to use my savings but if considered as a management type course it was well worth digging in (my parents supported me lol)

Advice to Management

There seems some difference between regions in how interns are treated and have access to management. Management are busy but I think should try and spend a bit more time or at least one evening talking to interns about what they want to do, about how the management developed the company and about the overall experience. I was lucky but I think not all DSA offices treat interns the same.

10. Internship Dezan Shira & Associates

Current Employee - Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Current Employee - Intern in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

International environment, Chance to do market research and work on presentation skills

Cons

lousy job description, no attention, no pay

Advice to Management

Invest more in personnel

11. Learning

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Dezan Shira and Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

DSA is one of the best place to learn about different aspect about professional services firms, go to market strategy and multi geographical culture.

Cons

Nothing in particular. Staff is small and some time one has to work beyond their job description.

Advice to Management

N/A

RSS Feed </> Embed