Dhar Law

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
4.7

Vikas S. Dhar and Vilas S. Dhar

Good Law firm where people work as a family

Former Employee - Graphic Designer Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Dhar Law part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work environment
    Helpful people
    Good work-life balance

Cons

Less personal growth
    Small firm
    No long term career opportunity

Great place to be!

I worked at Dhar Law as an intern

Pros

I have the opportunity to intern at Dhar Law back in 2010 and work directly with both, Vikas and Vilas. I can vouch for them and their outlook for the firm when I say that they are extremely diligent in representing their clients, encourage the professional growth and development of their employees, and truly care for their clients. Additionally, both Vikas and Vilas play an active role in the community, which is indicative of their belief in giving back to the community.

Cons

When I interned as a law clerk here, the firm was in its preliminary phase of structuring. Hard to find cons when a firm is undergoing this, so I can't really complain about anything. Interns were treated well, and encouraged to work hard.

Dhar Law offers a dynamic and fast paced environment where employees can pursue their professional interests.

Former Employee - Law Clerk in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Law Clerk in Boston, MA

I worked at Dhar Law part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a legal intern and then law clerk at Dhar Law, I was exposed to a wide variety of assignments that greatly improved my legal skills. I had the opportunity to draft contacts, research unique legal issues (related to both domestic and foreign law), work directly with clients, observe motion practice and depositions as well as write legal memos. The attorneys made time to explain new concepts and their expectations. I found the attorneys at Dhar Law to be personally engaging and interested in supporting me as I learned about areas of the law that I was interested in. They are active in the Boston community and well respected for their innovative model. The attorneys have high standards and challenged me to improve myself at every step of my experience.

Cons

Be prepared to hit the ground running - in order to be successful at this firm, you must be willing to work hard and think independently.

Please continue to provide legal interns and law clerks with the chance to expand their skill set while learning about the issues that they are passionate about.

A law firm that breaks the mold."

I worked at Dhar Law

Pros

Dhar Law is not your ordinary law firm ... and that's a good thing!

The work environment is excellent. It starts at the top with Vikas and Vilas. They are exceptionally gifted attorneys who treat colleagues and clients with dignity and respect. Their professionalism and entrepreneurial spirit permeate throughout the firm. You won't find more supportive mentors and more passionate attorneys.

What I like most about the firm is their focus on non-profits and community volunteering. Their forward-thinking, global outlook is unlike anything you will find at another firm.

Cons

The only "con" is that Dhar Law operates in the legal industry, which is a mature industry and generally slow to evolve.

Keep up the good work!

A work environment that you are excited to come into everyday.

Current Employee - Law Clerk in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Law Clerk in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dhar Law full-time (more than an year)

Pros

During my initial interview with the firm, the managing partner told me that they “were not like other firms” when describing the office structure, how employees were treated, etc. At first I put this off because essentially every job I have ever applied for said those exact words. However, about a month into my internship I thought back to that moment and realized that those words could not have been truer. First, whenever you have a question or comment on any work you have, the phrase open-door policy could not describe the office environment better. As an employee you feel just as confident asking a managing partner about a question you have as asking any of the other attorneys.

One of the most notable aspects of working at Dhar Law, LLP, has been their true commitment to being active not only in the legal community, but also providing legal services pro bono to clients who are going through tough times but still need the level of experience that the attorneys at Dhar Law, LLP bring. Furthermore, while often times pro bono clients are put behind clients who are paying for their services, at Dhar Law, LLP you would not be able to tell the difference between the levels of service given to a single parent going through a rough divorce, or an executive working on a complex corporate matter.

As an employee, the best compliment you can give is that you are excited to go to work every day and instead of saying “thank god” at 5:00, you are surprised because the day has gone by so fast. That is the perfect way to describe Dhar Law, LLP; the managing partners and senior associates have created an environment that is welcoming, and you are genuinely excited to come to everyday.

Cons

While there are no true “cons,” because the firm’s reputation has increased at such a high rate, your workload can be a lot sometimes, but as I mentioned above Dhar Law, LLP is not a place that you resent when you have to stay beyond the traditional end of the day.

Great experience as an intern at Dhar Law

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dhar Law as an intern

Pros

I have the great opportunity to do two internships in Dhar Law, llp, one during summer 2011, and one currently.

Before presenting you how my experience at Dhar Law was rewarding, personally and professionally, let me introduce quickly myself. I am a French student finishing my last year of Law School in Montpellier, France,where during those last three years I have specialized in Business Law. My internships at Dhar Law, besides allowing me to fell in love in the city of Boston and meeting amazing passionate lawyers, set me right inside the US legal world, what a stimulating experience for an EU law student !

Firstly I went to Courts, both District and Federal Courts, I observed the Massachusetts civil and criminal procedures rules, I met clients, and I witnessed different steps from the trial process, in which Dhar Law ‘ lawyer succeed pretty well to the client’s satisfaction. It was definitely an awesome experience.

Then I worked on several corporate cases, particularly for the co-founder Vilas Dhar, filing legal forms and documents as bylaws, and came familiar with the process of incorporation in Delaware. I have also assisted some meetings with clients, I have especially one in mind, during which I observed the practice and skills of attorneys applying Dhar Law’ philosophy by matching the needs of motivated young entrepreneurs with great ideas to the best legal status and advices for their start up. They did not only advice them on the legal matters, the guidance was also about how make the best first entrance in the business world.

Finally their Pro Bono work is a real advantage. It is in their core values and philosophy. Some of the lawyers have strong commitment with Pro Bono associations as well in Haiti as in some countries in Africa. Assisting people to help them bring to life their wonderful project is fascinating. Lawyers took time to visit nonprofit associations around Boston, and be aware of the values and their missions, to afterwards work with them to start up a nonprofit organization or to grow up. Understanding not only the process to register a 501(c)(3) in the US but also the dedication of those people is great.

As an intern, I also tried myself on drafting memo on different subjects, worked on a project of guidelines about business rules in France and in EU, that a US businesspeople may be interested in, and made research, all was very interesting, and made my internships amazing experience.

Cons

In my situation, my only "con" would be not being able to stay longer because those internships end to rapidly.

Excellent work environment fostering innovative ideas and unlimited opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Law Clerk in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Law Clerk in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dhar Law

Pros

The leaders and partners at the helm of this unique law firm have successfully fostered and instituted a firm culture that values and rewards innovative thinking and hard work. Having worked at several law firms throughout my law school career, I have had many bad and good experience. My experience at Dhar Law has been nothing short of spectacular. One of the main factors that impressed me was the Firm's strong commitment to Pro Bono initiatives. Firm Policy requires its partners, associates and staff to dedicate a minimum number hours to Pro Bono work. In addition, as the previous reviewer mentioned, the spirit of collaboration, camaraderie and friendship in the office makes this a truly enjoyable place of employment.

Cons

Due to the firm's rapid growth, the workload can be at times heavy-although hard work is always rewarded at Dhar Law.

My experience as a Dhar Law Intern has been extremely enriching, exposing me to way more than I ever bargained for.

Current Employee - Legal/Marketing/PR Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Legal/Marketing/PR Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Dhar Law

Pros

Dhar Law has a very open culture, starting with the Partners who constantly engage with the other attorneys and staff. Work gets done while ideas are shared fluidly. Perhaps this is simply due to the firm's small size. But there is definitely a feeling of openness in the air that encourages anyone to jump in with their thoughts on any matter, legal or otherwise. The partners and associates make genuine efforts to share knowledge and educate the Interns, and with a full-service firm like Dhar, learning opportunities abound.

Cons

Being a small firm on a rapid growth trajectory, there is a lot of work to be done. I'm not sure this is necessarily a con, but it can make for some busy afternoons.

The fully stocked kitchen can wreak havoc on the calorie conscious.

Embrace social media to tell the unique stories behind the firm's work, especially with the exciting work in developing countries.

Personal touch to legal services, committed to the community, consistent results.

I have been working at Dhar Law

Pros

Dhar Law, LLP is a full service firm which has experience in many different areas of law, including civil litigation, criminal defense, corporate law, domestic relations, immigration, intellectual property, real estate, and nonprofit law. In the courtroom, our Litigation attorneys are relentless, and we fight for our clients to get them their desired results in a manner that is efficient and effective. In the conference room, our Business Law attorneys take the time to listen to and understand the client's needs before providing tailored recommendations. We counsel startup companies in their preliminary steps, and we advise on proper exit strategies for international corporations. In our Real Estate practice, we represent buyers, sellers, and lenders in all types of real estate transactions, and we pay specific attention to guiding each transaction carefully from the beginning to the end. Through our Immigration practice, we have seen countless successes for clients seeking to apply for U.S. citizenship, obtain work authorization, and appeal adverse decisions made by the Department of Homeland Security.

I like the firm’s emphasis on adding a personal touch to our interactions no matter who the client, whether it be a CEO of a high profile company and a young couple buying their first home. The Firm's attorneys all share an innate passion for they work they do, which is driven by a “people first” mentality. In my time at Dhar Law LLP, I have seen this passion for our clients as people lead to mutually beneficial relationships and excellent results.

I also like Dhar Law’s principle of “doing well by doing good and vice versa”, brought to life by attorneys who commit themselves to engaging with their communities on a daily basis – whether by supporting neighborhood organizations, advising new artistic programs, or helping entrepreneurs build community businesses and lobby for necessary infrastructure. The Firm has fostered partnerships and relationships that allow us to be involved in some really exciting nonprofit work involving human rights issues in developing countries such as Haiti and Rwanda.

The workplace environment is friendly and team oriented, and you can reach out to any of the associates or staff if I need help with anything. Everyone works hard because we love what we are doing. Partners are personable and make themselves accessible to the associates and staff. I can certainly say that working at Dhar Law, LLP has significantly contributed to both professional and personal development.

Cons

In a boutique law firm environment, there's a lot to do and and you have to be prepared to wear a lot of hats to help the place run smoothly, but it's not really a con because luckily the teamwork atmosphere means everyone is willing to pitch in and support each other so that everything gets done!

Dhar Law Photos