Diageo

Employer Engaged

Keep Walking!!!!

Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Trade Marketing in Miami, FL

I have been working at Diageo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Globally recognized brands, hard working middle managers, quarterly liquor allowance, leverage due to size, standard benefits (pension/insurance/good vacation days/stock purchase plan but no "match" on 401k)

Cons

*Constant fire drills
    *Machiavellic management style (unattainable annual goals with constantly reduced resources to meet the goals)
    *Limited growth potential thanks to "secret calibration process" where one is evaluated by higher management without one's input.
    *No investment in growing people's capabilities
    *No succession planning at mid to upper management.

Walk the walk! We have great values and performance ambition. Fund the programs, trust us and give us the freedom to succeed. If you don't believe in the existing talent do a good talent flush and start again but STOP putting us through the wringer!

Former long time employee of Diageo, overall great salary and benefits, leadership needs improvement

I worked at Diageo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, great benefits, global opportunities, great industry, great brands

Cons

Most of current leadership team lacks leadership, alcohol sales are down, several years of downsizing, company prefers to hire outside for Sr Mgt level vs promoting from within

Individuals need to be moved cross-functionally early in career; need to find mechanism to reward high performers since there are no upward positions available, take a "risk" on internal employees vs hiring leadership from outside

Customer Service

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Norwalk, CT
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Diageo as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and relaxed company environment. People are professional and helpful. Company cares about the overall wellbeing of its people.

Cons

Cons are the same for any large corporation - too many hands in the pot. If there is an issue regarding work process, then you would need to involve a lot of people.

Great growth opportunity

I worked at Diageo

Pros

Strong leadership
    Freedom to succeed
    Work hard, play hard

Cons

Frequent re-orgs
    Connecticut headquarters location a drawback

Company has great perks but the culture isn't the best

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Diageo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Perks such alcohol allowance, travel, team meetings. They encourage mobility and depending on your relationship with your line manager you will be able to move up or cross functionally.

Cons

The headquarters are located in CT and if you want to move up that's likely where you'll have to end up. Not enough work/life balance.

DECEPTIVE....LAID OFF

Former Employee - Manufacturing in Plainfield, IL
    Former Employee - Manufacturing in Plainfield, IL

I worked at Diageo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Convenient location..Great Health Benefits!! New HR Director who understood PEOPLE>>>

Cons

The environment was laid back..but had an urgency to implement cost reduction through Layoffs/Termination.Semi- Friendly environment...Management changes FREQUENTLY!!! Out with the OLD in with the NEW attitude..The VALUE system was never implemented as planned..It really was a joke..Pay was not suitable for the job...Safety was not DIAGEO #1 Goal... More of a by " any means necessary" get the job done attitude...Interaction with Managers was limited or none..Maybe, because of union environment..

BE HONEST!!! REMOVE UNION..SET WAGES ACCORDINGLY...AND STOP BEING DECEPTIVE....

Immature organization

Former Employee - IT Director in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - IT Director in Norwalk, CT

I worked at Diageo full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Insurance, Quarterly liquor allotment, Pension, free coffee, nice gym.

Cons

*Immature organization - they struggle so hard to improve so little. The term "agile" is abused. It's code for we don't know what we're doing, so we change direction all the time.
    *Fire drill after fire drill, chronic re-orgs.
    *Did I mention chronic re-orgs? Chronic re-orgs are the first sign management doesn't know what they're doing. It would be nice to see management get swept away in the next re-org.
    *The place is riddled with old talent that grew with the organization. They learned how to do things the wrong way.
    *Smart thinking, careful planning and structured approaches are not rewarded. It's the old heroic fire fighting crew that saves the day with their tribal knowledge (that they won't share).
    *If you do get in and you want your job, fight for you life, get a kevlar vest and don't go near any buses.
    *It's an "all about me" culture. Your manager can care less about your development, because it's all about theirs. This behavior is rewarded.

Do this company a favor and move on (and out) already. Get your act together or the smaller competitors are going to chip away at the 800 lb gorilla.

Culture of consolidation overshadowing really good people and brands

I worked at Diageo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hard working co-workers that want to do right for the business. A lot of freedom in your job to achieve the "art of the possible" within remits. While not necessarily a balanced work/life environment, workers are generally trusted and free to manage their time as long as work is getting done. Good pay and generally good bonus expectation.

Cons

A culture of constant downsizing has permeated company. General management has allowed this with an "it is what it is" attitude. As a result, workers generally looking over their shoulder at mid year and year end with more and more jobs consistently being pushed into distributors or overseas despite performance. With this, structure is becoming even flatter with less opportunity for progression, and has always been a bit "political" when it comes to promotions.

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Corporate Relations Intern in Miami, FL
    Former Intern - Corporate Relations Intern in Miami, FL

I worked at Diageo as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great international team, interesting work, happy hours. Living in Miami was also really fun.

Cons

I only worked there for 3 months as an internship - no cons during my time. There was not a direct link to full-time positions from my internship, but it was still great experience.

overall positive place to work

I worked at Diageo

Pros

people form close relationship and exciting business

Cons

work life balance is rather difficult to manage here

Diageo Photos