Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries

Rev Daun E. McKee

great

Former Employee - FSC in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - FSC in Carlisle, PA

I worked at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries full-time (less than an year)

Pros

training is everything that is needed

Cons

nothing negative to say about Cumberland Crossings

Pay sub par for the work

I worked at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a decent home life balance for a 24 hour operation

Cons

The management does not listen to employees, does not care, and provides a lot of pressure to discharge sick people because they are no longer profitable.

listen to employees

OK Job But Know there are better opportunities elsewhere

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Pottstown, PA
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Pottstown, PA

I have been working at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good considering I am a newer LPN, Somewhat Lenient on Staff, giving you chances to make mistakes and rectify it, as long as you don't harm the resident/client. Make about 25/hr for Per Diem work. Staff is pretty much friendly, its a smaller facility so everyone kind of knows everyone, which leads to gossip at times. Luckily, I'm not involved with that. It can be laid back which is something i look for. Especially on the weekends.

Cons

Work load can be horrible or just too much. I am in my mid-twenties and have always worked healthcare. I work in the pottstown facility. There needs to be more nurses, especially when you have an admission, just forget about getting out of work on time, Sometimes, depending on the supervisor, you may or may not get help with the admission process which involves a lot of rewriting information in different places. Half of your work is computerized, half is still on paper (i.e. no eMar, paper charts) but you do your charting on the computer. Sometimes, and basically 75% of the time, CNA's are short which puts more stress on you to answer bells, and assist the residents, which wouldn't be a big deal but you have at the minimum, 22-24 residents for a med pass, and treatments. It can be a lot. Oh and sometimes the equipment doesn't work like the BP machine has been not working on one of the wings for months now. Just get your own equipment.

Get more nurses to help cut down on errors and to up one's chances of do a thorough and accurate job, help with the admission process and making the admission process a lot easier, clear cut and concise, entering information once, and pulling the information from entered info and allowing it to populate the other required fields.

Hospice Social Worker Position

Former Employee - Social Worker- Hospice
    Former Employee - Social Worker- Hospice

I worked at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, good coworkers, loved working with families, time off was generous

Cons

Poor salary, poor management, not listening to employees opinions, not being told what is happening, the fraud case for example, too far of a radius for travel

Honesty

this was a hostile work environment

Former Employee - Adm Assistant Family Life Services in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - Adm Assistant Family Life Services in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries full-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay and health benefits were better than most businesses.

Cons

constant under supervision, someone looking over your shoulder,

trust your employees, no one is perfect, some of the problems were management and superviision, always worked short staff.

Office Manager

Former Employee - Office Manager in Reading, PA
    Former Employee - Office Manager in Reading, PA

I worked at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries

Pros

There's a lot to be said for working for a company, and doing a job, that truly changes people's lives. Diakon certainly has programs that serve all types of people.

Cons

Some of the middle management could use closer supervision, and change on this level could be seen as more important then they do currently.

Keep up the great work and feel satisfied in your life's missions. Don't forget the little guys, they're truly what hold up this great organization.

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - Secretary
    Current Employee - Secretary

I have been working at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries

Pros

The pay is excellent, staff gets along well and we feel that we are making a real difference. There is a great deal of advancement available. it is truly possible to walk in the door at the bottom level and work your way up to the top. They are a Christian company with ACTUAL Christian values, not just the label.

Cons

At times, employees with children are given much more leeway and understanding than those of us who did not choose to reproduce. It's a bit frustrating to have a project foisted upon you because "Little Joey" has soccer practice and that comes before your plans for the evening.

Keep on keepin on, just give everyone the same ability to use personal time.

Office needs to get on same page as agents.

Pros

Enjoy working with customers and talking to customers enjoy helping customers and hearing about their lives and adventures. Enjoy helping them with their daily routines.

Cons

Need more info on customers before we go there and better communication from the supervisors. You require that we give you updates every two weeks but we also need to have those same update returned to us for our information. To many times we get to a cust and can't get in or the shift has been canceled and we are not made aware of how to get in or that our shift was canceled.

Better communication - don't forget to call us when a cust cancels a shift - don't forget to send us much needed info on our customers - be understanding when a sudden illness comes on - don't let us hanging in mid-air during a conversation-listen to us we are the ones dealing with cust on a one to one basis

Large regional non-profit

Current Employee - Marketing - Admissions
    Current Employee - Marketing - Admissions

I have been working at Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries

Pros

Employees can make a difference in the lives of clients in need

Cons

Structure is not open to change or improvements

Stay in touch with the workers who are in direct contact with the clients