DialAmerica

www.dialamerica.com
Employer Engaged

The WORST job I've EVER had.

Current Employee - Inbound/Outbound in Amherst, NY
    Current Employee - Inbound/Outbound in Amherst, NY

I have been working at DialAmerica part-time (more than a year)

Pros

First off, I'm a college student that thought this would be a decent job while attending school. I was definitely WRONG. Consider this a warning.

1.) Sit in a chair
    2.) Work inside a heated and air conditioned environment

THE ONLY REASON I WOULD TELL YOU TO WORK HERE IS IF YOUR HANDICAPPED AND NEED TO SIT IN A CHAIR ALL DAY. EVEN THEN I STILL WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS JOB.

Cons

1.) SUPERVISORS: BIGGEST con is the Supervisors. Most of the management (99.999%) here are unprofessional and lazy. The best comparison would be an high school dropout. You can most likely find your supervisor sitting in his/her chair all day long doing nothing. If you get on one of the supervisors bad side you can BET you WILL ABSOLUTELY be retaliated against.

2.) NO INCENTIVE: You are expected to hit a quota every week. Its very hard to hit this quota when you are being switched around to inbound/outbound calls throughout the day. The incentive for being in the top 25% is wait for it.... a mere $1.00 more per hour over your minimum wage base pay of $8.75. If you are new you most likely will not get into that 25% tier.

3.) NO FULL TIME EMPLOYEES: You can work a maximum of 39 hours per week. However you will be lucky to reach 30 hours a week even with working weekends.

4.) RETAINMENT: Every few weeks there is a hiring event. This tells me only one thing: This company cannot keep employees. The person you're sitting next to one week can be gone and filled in with a new person the next. I believe this is due to a combination of the above.

I have no advice to management. You most likely will never change your lazy ways so any advice offered would not benefit future employees.

Great job if you wish to sell and not to be taken seriously.

Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Inbound Sales Representative in Charleston, SC

I worked at DialAmerica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. You submit your availability, and they do a fantastic job of working you in. Great for people in school, taking care of children, or just working for a little extra money.

Cons

Gimmicky sales tactics. People call in to activate their credit card, then you try to sell them different programs for their card after you "verify" that it's active. No commission structure, and poor pay. They took the commission structure away right before I started. Also, they don't like taking on full timers because they don't want to offer benefits.

Great people-horrible management

Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Agent in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at DialAmerica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the people I work with, are able to work with your schedule..some of the time

Cons

Management always seems to not make up their mind on what they want. No more incentive systems for people who work hard, never really been a clean environment. They make it more of a stressful environment than what it should be. The points system if you are sick from work.

Don't be so invasive, decide how you want things done-don't switch back and forth, bring back incentives. And get someone to vacuum and dust once in a while-some of us are sick and can't handle how dirty it is. Don't be bullies...the points system is unnecessary, and needing doctors notes..it's not school.

great working environment and people that work there

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant Specialist in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant Specialist in Oak Brook, IL

I have been working at DialAmerica

Pros

the environment is fun the schedule was flexibleyou can be successful if you are focused

Cons

if you have responsibilities this job may not be for you if you are the only person that handles it at the end of the month they send you home early they just put 19 employees on furlough until the 19th of January there is no need for a business professional wardrobe business casual will suffice

utilize some of your new people based off of experience that they've had their entire life not off of people who have been there and they actually don't perform as well as the new people and it seems to be a little bit of favoritism and management shouldn't yell so loud on the floor while people are trying to conduct business you can motivate but not with all that screaming in class in the floor is already loud

Dialamerica is a place of excellence

Former Employee - Bilingual Agent in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Bilingual Agent in Orlando, FL

I worked at DialAmerica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent environment, wonderful paid training. Compassionate and happy place of work.

Cons

No cons from my side. I learned a great deal and had wonderful supervision!

You are one of the best companies to work for. I am grateful for the time spent working with and for you!

Worst job I've had

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Westlake, OH
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Westlake, OH

I worked at DialAmerica part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule - Flexible hours. They try to make it fun - if and only if you make sales. They have games you can play, contests, prizes etc.

Cons

Where to even begin? This place borderlines on being a hostile work environment. You are only allowed 15 minutes throughout an entire shift (The shifts are 5-6 hours.) to be away from your desk. This includes bathroom breaks. And you are only allowed to go to the bathroom between certain hours. You must lock any possessions up in a locker. (Including your purse). You may not check your phone, even for a moment. That must be locked up as well. So you only have 15 minutes throughout a 6-hour shift to get to your belongings, check your phone for notifications/emergencies/go to the bathroom/eat a snack, etc. If you have to use the bathroom once you've exceeded your time, you can (and will) be denied. How they get away with this without being sued is beyond me. You must dress professionally to come in and sit on the phone and not interact with anyone. They have a very strict dress code that you must adhere to, for reasons beyond me. You may not have anything out in front of you on your desk. (Not even a pen.) The pay is awful. They have commission bonuses if you make sales, but they fluctuate so drastically and without rhyme or reason. You can make a certain pay one week with a certain number of sales, and then get the same number of sales the following week, but your commission will only be a fourth of what you made the week before. They are very nice to you if you get a lot of sales. If you don't, they don't want to have much to do with you, and will even call you into the office and make you feel even worse for not getting a lot of sales. (Even if you consistently do well - the first time you have a not-so-lucky week, they analyze everything you say/do and want you to re-tweak it.) They also want you to try five, six, seven, eight rebuttles. As many as you can fit in before the person hangs up. You have a very long script to read in each call. There are different managers who give you different suggestions and it gets very chaotic and frustrating very quickly. Also, you are not allowed to disconnect a call before the person on the other end disconnects it. I have worked in other call centers, and in every other one I have worked at, we have been allowed to disconnect, rather than wasting time listening to people belittle us. Also, customers have to specifically say 'put me on your do not call list' in order to be put on the do not call list. In every other job I've worked at, if a customer complains about being called or even indicates they don't want to be called anymore, we will put them on the list. This also helps us in avoiding wasting time calling people who are going to be angry and unwelcoming of a phone call, and who will yell and keep us on the phone inquiring why we continually call, when we could be using that time to talk to someone else who would potentially me much more of a prospect. None of the policies make sense. The scripts don't make sense and are very long and hard for customers to follow. The rules are over-the-top and unnecessary. All-in-all, this job is not good and I would not recommend it. There are other telemarketing jobs out there that are a little more down-to-earth.

Treat your employees like adults rather than children. Show them some respect as people. Allow them to have bad sales weeks, bathroom breaks, and fairness or some sort of consistency in pay. People should have an idea of what they are working toward rather than it be a guessing game each week.

Good Experience Overall as far as Telemarketing Atmosphere.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at DialAmerica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most positive atmosphere I've ever worked for as far as telesales and Sales leaders. This is a Telemarketing Company who outsources for SiriusXM Radio. Big emphasis is paid to work-life balance.

Cons

You are working sales leads for in with or outbound calling; very monotonous reading from a script. They need to be more discriminating with the GHETTO trash they hire, small cubes are so close together and some of the pro-fain language can be heard into your own headset.

Think about offering 40 hours consistently to those who want and need benefits, also for all the company makes, you could develop a better pay structure. Update your dialing system if you expect better efficiency. Get with the times and have a single number and and voice response system to Que calls to the appropriate person for situation customer's are calling in for. I had way to many calls being transferred to Customer Care that infringed my ability to get more sales. Extend your training period by another week to educate your new hires about your representative's stats and what is expected, you may see an improvement in your high turn-over rate of new hires.

Even call center veterans might find this job a tad redundant/monotonous

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist (Agent) in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist (Agent) in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at DialAmerica part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- The checks were weekly, always correct and on time (huge plus in today's job market)
    - You get a certain amount of break time for your shift and you can pretty much split it up any way you want.
    - The training, in my opinion, was surprisingly thorough. (They even do legitimate background checks...someone was walked out of my class because something bad came back on his background)
    - They hold charity drives every year for the holidays where they collect money, food, etc for the needy and they do a very good job with it.

Cons

- Incredibly political environment.
    - Very, VERY monotonous job. You will literally recite the same script more than 50 times in your shift and they are insistent on you doing it verbatim in most cases.
    - You can't have ANYTHING on your desk but pen/pencil and paper. No newspapers, books, magazines, etc. I used to write out math problems for myself to do in order to keep my brain from locking up on me from boredom.
    - They have, what I thought, was an unnecessary dress code requirement that all men wear ties. So much so that I tested it one day and came without a tie and one of the managers actually gave me one to wear for the day. Seriously...it's a call center, no one sees us and unless a client is visiting, a business casual dress code is just fine.
    - Management is VERY condescending to those who let them get away with it.
    - When I was there, they would always say there was no quota but if you string together a few days of no "sales", expect a write-up for performance.
    - Someone in leadership has to die or resign or you have to transfer out of state for you to have a shot at any promotions. Terrible career advancement
    - Some of their campaigns are just horrible. Either credit cards with exorbitant fees or subscription renewals for things nobody wanted in the first place. If you can, pick your campaigns wisely.
    - The computers, while somewhat modern since it's a "soft" phone, are in dire need of updating. Too much freezing and crashing. Normally that wouldn't be so bad because it's an unexpected break but if the system crashes for too long, you're going home. Unpaid.
    - The scripts need to be streamlined and have some effort put into them. It's painfully obvious they were written by people who knew they'd never have to use them. It's hard to sound "natural" with some of those scripts.
    - Entirely too much noise is made on the floor when contests are going on and the customers can HEAR it. Not very professional at all.

- Show some more respect to your employees, especially when it comes to reviews, coaching sessions and write-ups. Most of your employees are sharp enough to realize when they are being talked down to and guess what? We talk about that among ourselves.
    - By your own admission, you charge the clients "a lot of money" to do what you're doing so either invest some of that money into updating the system and scripts (preferably) or eat the expense when the system crashes and phone reps are sitting there with nothing to do. Your employees should not have to lose out on money by being sent home early because you can't fix an outage quickly. Start lining up training exercises to put to use when these outages occur.
    - Lighten up the dress code. Seriously. Wearing a tie does NOT make an office setting any more or less professional...the people working there do that. A collared shirt and dress pants are more than sufficient in just about any office setting.
    - Let people have SOMETHING to read at their desk other than the screen. On days when calls are very few and far between, it's almost painful to just be sitting there doing nothing while waiting for a call. Invariably what happens is we start chatting with each other and that's when you get "accidental" dropped calls or customers hearing office banter.
    - The inter-day contests are great and break up the day a little but please, stop yelling on the floor when someone wins and distracting others on the phone. It comes off as very unprofessional when the customers here it.
    - Stop talking around the quota. We all know there is a soft quota so just admit to it, be reasonable about it (some of those leads are rehashed to death and getting a "sale" is practically impossible)
    - I know this one is a stretch given the industry but TRY and come up with some kind of legitimate advancement opportunities or this will just continue to be a revolving door of talent.

current employee review

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rochester, NY

I have been working at DialAmerica

Pros

family oriented, most of the people are fun to work with

Cons

don't advance right people within, need to improve on business environment and make it more suitable for employees, need to improve current employees (education) before bringing in new employees and training them

look within the company before hiring outside of the company, try fixing what you have before brining on more new just to make more profit or quota.

Low paying, but laid back

Current Employee - SiriusXM Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - SiriusXM Sales Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at DialAmerica

Pros

They offer very flexible scheduling, which is perfect for me as a single parent. The work atmosphere is very laid back and everyone is pretty friendly. If you're re-entering the workforce after a leave of absence (as I am) this is good place to start out.

Cons

Rather low pay, not the world's most professional environment.