Dialight

Updated March 6, 2014

1.8

Roy Burton

Sales

Pros

Pay was ok but bonus structure was very unrealistic and never paid

Cons

Micro-management from people that didn't even know what they were doing in the industry and couldn't even explain the products to customers themselves.

Stop micro managing and let the sales people do their jobs and sell instead of working on reports...

Stay Away - Unethical Business Practices

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Farmingdale, NJ
    Former Employee - Buyer in Farmingdale, NJ

Pros

Competitive salary; timely raises; great product

Cons

This company favors senior management tenfold over their worker bees. Subordinates are exploited and sexual harassment occurs without conscience. Professional misconduct thrives at the senior level while underlings are fired without consideration. Company funds are readily used for non-business activities. Profitability of this company is quite variable and there seem to be a lot of global opinions that the company will not survive much longer.

Clean up your at your top level. Senior management and it's unethical business practic threatens and continues to diminish company morale across the board.

Overall a geat place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmingdale, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NJ

Pros

I have truly terrific co-workers at Dialight. That is the number one pro for me.It is also a very profitable company, with a growing product line. Also, when I wake up in the morning, I don't mind driving in to work.

Cons

I wish our raises wouldn't feel so standard-issue, and that they actually rewarded performance. I know we ae lucky to even get one these days, but it would be nice to be rewarded for putting in 110%.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Do it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Farmingdale, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Farmingdale, NJ

Pros

Salary and compensation was very good. However, I was different. Very liberal policy on spending and travel. In house machine shop and very good production facilities.

Cons

Terrible place to work. Most employee's are worried about being fired at a moments notice. They throw away people left and right without a moments notice. Very adversarial place to work. A good example is that 2% raises were just doled out, and the CEO has a company meeting explaining how the last half was the most profitable ever (knowing that we was going to receive a giant bonus). The employees in attendance were the ones making it possible. No bonus, no thank yous. A real moral builder.

Pretty horrible experience

Former Employee - Engineer In NJ  in  Farmingdale, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer In NJ in Farmingdale, NJ

Pros

Salary, benefits are ok. travel

Cons

except pros, pretty much every thing else is just horrible. Management doesn't respect you or your opinion. you will be given unrealistic time lines and if you don't achieve, when are humanly impossible, you will be called stupid in front of all present. Every engineer in office is just looking for job. Even if you spent your Christmas working in office, management or your supervisor doesn't really care. This should be your last option for job, if joining here. Be ready for loud fights and work like dog.

Listen to your employees. You would be blind enough not to see so high turnover in company. People are only working here because it is bad economy outside. Don't call stupid, idiot in meetings. I thought these are common sense, apparently somebody needs to tell you.

Extremely frustrating employment

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Roxboro, NC
    Former Employee - Engineer in Roxboro, NC

Pros

Compensation is on par with industry. Engineers in Roxboro are all extremely talented individuals. All process engineers are certified master molders. Engineers in Roxboro know how a manufacturing facility should run and are working diligently to get the facility to that level.

Cons

Corporate employees completely lack tact. I cannot stress the previous sentence enough. There is not a schedule for the molding floor. Every decision you make will be second guessed and micro-managed to the Nth degree. Corporate engineers do not provide a project timeline to Roxboro engineers. Timelines supplied by Roxboro are ignored by corporate engineers. A majority of design engineers at corporate have little to no experience designing plastic components. Engineers in Roxboro are expected to review their design for moldability with no modeling software. If design is prohibitive in any way, all blame will be placed on Roxboro engineers. Corporate engineers do not share data or information with Roxboro engineers. Extremely poor planning and communication by corporate engineers. Unrealistic deadlines.

Show some class and respect when communicating with Roxboro employees. Let the highly qualified engineers in Roxboro do what they're paid to do. When hiring engineers for design, at least make sure they have a background in plastics. Develop a project plan, share it, and stick to it. Communication is a two way street. Implement DQ, IQ, OQ, PQ. Realize that there is a reason why the turnover is so high in Roxboro. Poor planning is one of the major pit falls effecting Roxboro.

Growth of UK business lower than expectation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Newmarket, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newmarket, England (UK)

Pros

An ambitious SME UK business taking on the big multinationals in niche markets. Visionary senior leadership let down by poor sales force and sales planning in the EMEA region.

Cons

Lower than expected sales outside the USA leads to the UK business needing extreme flexibility. This leads to feast and famine and huge pressure within the supply chain and manufacturing to deliver the business "on time" once the sales have come in.

Develop your EMEA sales team to close more business - using experiences in the US, and build on the willing and empowered Newmarket team.

Worst employer of my career so far.

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

Pros

I suppose the pay was competitive - although people answering the phones were earning more than graduate Engineers!?!

Cons

For four years I stayed in a job I grew to hate so much. Dialight really ran me into the ground both mentally and physically. Honestly, the incompetence of the management is shocking. The expectations placed on you are unreasonable, irrational and just plain crazy. When I started thirty people worked at the site, that dropped to 10, then to 3 (yes three!) all within 18 months. So, as you can imagine, job security wasn't great. The company can't even decide what products they make. Colour change, architectural, street lighting, hazardous -- all things I worked on. I had four different managers in four years. In the end I had to leave for my own sanity.

I believe that the problems at Dialight all stem from poor management, get rid of incompetent middle managers and things would improve dramatically. Have a clear, coherent plan and let everyone know about it and stick to it.

Worked for Dialight? Contribute to the Community!