Diamond Comic Reviews

1. Good starter job

Former Employee - Marketing in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Marketing in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Extremely chill work environment, employee discounts. Good experience to build resume.

Cons

Horrible pay, high turnover and lousy benefits. Us vs. Them mentality when it comes to hourly vs. salaried employees.

2. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Olive Branch, MS
    Former Employee - Manager in Olive Branch, MS

Pros

I love the hours that I worked.

Cons

Upper management was not willing to work with me, nor listen to solutions.

3. Overview of Diamond Comics

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A nice friendly place to Work. The atmosphere is laid back and the supervisors are helpful.

Cons

There is not a lot of opportunities to be promoted and they have a salary cap for their long time employees.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for growth within the company. There isn't a lot of room to be promoted. And there is a salary cap if you've been there for a certain amount of years.

5. This company needs to organize itself

Current Employee - Order Filler in Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Order Filler in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There seems to be potential here, they use automated voice controlled picking which is somewhat modern. I think they could do better if they improved employee relations.

Cons

This is by far the most unorganized place I have ever worked for. The product in the mode and on the floor is strewn everywhere and management doesn't seem to care. All they seem to care about is how much they can get out with no regard to quality.

Advice to Management

I would say management needs to work on communicating better with employees. From what I experienced in the 5 months I worked there, my department manager never once spoke directly to me.

6. Good for young, entry level professionals; the grass is not greener on the other side..

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time

Pros

The company is willing to train you and work with you to meet some of your goals. Free Comics, and discounted pop culture items out of the catalog they offer are an Okay perk. Management is lenient with some work / life balance. Everyone is very friendly and normally willing to engage in short conversations( and I mean short). Other than these points there are not many Pros worth mentioning.

Cons

As a large private company, you would expect decent size bonuses, and raises, but that is not the case in Diamond. The company is very cheap when it comes to benefits. There are health care benefits, and 401k, but they are almost at a minimal if even considered a benefit. The entire structure within the company is very stagnant, and very slow on making organizational changes. As a company we don't fully understand what each department does, which leads to a lot of miss-communication which could be avoided if the company decided to upgrade the 20+ year old technology systems it uses. Most departments give a lack of motivation / no care attitude for other departments which makes it difficult to get some work done. Unhappy Customers that never seem satisfied. Also the Break Room is extremely small for an organization, and lacks a lot of perks other companies might have such as free food.

Advice to Management

Some advice would be stop hiring your nieces, nephews, and husbands, and wives. Upper management needs to stop making critical decisions on their own and work with a board to help progress how the company should be using its extremely low amount of resources. Give better benefits for better company moral. Let go of the baggage that we all know is lingering around, and get modern. Don't tell us its been the best year EVER and give us almost close to nothing for it as a reward.

7. Great culture but could use updated sales tools.

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working for one of the biggest distributors of comics and collectible pop culture product, easily lends itself to being able to provide a product or license that matches the retailers need.

Cons

Compartmentalization and division of departments that can sometimes compromise successful growth of sales and customer engagement.

8. Good to gain experience and move on

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment with passionate employees

Cons

Low salary; high insurance costs; little to no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Pay competitive rates to keep quality employees

9. It has its great days and then it has your questioning your sanity...days.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a fun, "somewhat" relaxing environment at times. Talking to a manager, lead, supervisor about concerns is easy. If you are into comics or pop culture items, you do have the option of a nice discount too. Overall, there is a team effort going on so you do feel somewhat a part of something.

Cons

Pay...Pay...Pay! Basically, at this location, you are hired on as a temp at first. I was told before then what i would be making. I then found out that other people arriving after me, who are doing much simpler jobs were making more! (Not by much) but they did have the option of picking between a few numbers for pay.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more. Communication is key. I talk to my manager as much as possible with any questions or concerns but i do hear people talking about things that i believe they are just misunderstanding because they arent being spoken to.

10. A great stepping stone - no more no less

Former Employee - Buyer in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Buyer in Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

adequate pay. working conditions aren't bad. great as a stepping stone to other comic related businesses

Cons

they know they can find anyone to work cheap based off the fun nature of the products.

Advice to Management

work like balance is not right.

Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Customer Service in Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Unique industry, great customers. Some good management, some bad. If you actually work hard, they'll recognize it more often than not (this doesn't mean sit around on the internet half the day THINKING you worked hard...).

Cons

$. Before the job market crash, annual raises were great and they even rewarded employees for excellent work with mid year raises. After that though, it was rare to see a cent extra in your paycheck. The company without a doubt fell on harder times, but lots of doubts how bad it really was. Especially when the owner is still living very very large.

Advice to Management

Update your hardware and software. No reason to run on Windows 97 still, and even more ancient programs.

RSS Feed </> Embed