Diamond Comic Reviews

Updated July 25, 2014
Updated July 25, 2014

2.4

Steve Geppi

Great culture but could use updated sales tools.

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for one of the biggest distributors of comics and collectible pop culture product, easily lends itself to being able to provide a product or license that matches the retailers need.

Cons

Compartmentalization and division of departments that can sometimes compromise successful growth of sales and customer engagement.

Good to gain experience and move on

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment with passionate employees

Cons

Low salary; high insurance costs; little to no room for advancement.

Pay competitive rates to keep quality employees

It has its great days and then it has your questioning your sanity...days.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Diamond Comic full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a fun, "somewhat" relaxing environment at times. Talking to a manager, lead, supervisor about concerns is easy. If you are into comics or pop culture items, you do have the option of a nice discount too. Overall, there is a team effort going on so you do feel somewhat a part of something.

Cons

Pay...Pay...Pay! Basically, at this location, you are hired on as a temp at first. I was told before then what i would be making. I then found out that other people arriving after me, who are doing much simpler jobs were making more! (Not by much) but they did have the option of picking between a few numbers for pay.

Talk to your employees more. Communication is key. I talk to my manager as much as possible with any questions or concerns but i do hear people talking about things that i believe they are just misunderstanding because they arent being spoken to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great stepping stone - no more no less

Former Employee - Buyer  in  Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Buyer in Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time for more than a year

Pros

adequate pay. working conditions aren't bad. great as a stepping stone to other comic related businesses

Cons

they know they can find anyone to work cheap based off the fun nature of the products.

work like balance is not right.

Ups and Downs

Former Employee - Customer Service  in  Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Unique industry, great customers. Some good management, some bad. If you actually work hard, they'll recognize it more often than not (this doesn't mean sit around on the internet half the day THINKING you worked hard...).

Cons

$. Before the job market crash, annual raises were great and they even rewarded employees for excellent work with mid year raises. After that though, it was rare to see a cent extra in your paycheck. The company without a doubt fell on harder times, but lots of doubts how bad it really was. Especially when the owner is still living very very large.

Update your hardware and software. No reason to run on Windows 97 still, and even more ancient programs.

Diamond is fun and dependable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

This is a company powered by great personnel. Your co-workers are engaged, personable, and professional. It's usually a fun atmosphere. Depending on the department, there is also limited interference in getting your work done, i.e. your manager tells/shows you what needs to be done, and then leaves you alone to handle it. It's a solid, steady place to work, and the atmosphere is such that many employees have left, only to return years later.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement are few and sometimes far between. Most people remain in the positions they were hired for. With few exceptions, Diamond is not considered to be a place where people start low and end high (that goes for title and salary).

Confusing, demoralizing, and all around not a good time.

Former Employee - OSD Coordinator  in  Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - OSD Coordinator in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free comics and the occasional give away of free collectibles. That's.... about.... it....

Cons

Very little room for growth and bad health benefits. Entry level employees are treated as replaceable pieces (such as myself). Upper management not the friendliest bunch (I once received a rude and demoralizing text from my very own supervisor). Also keep a close eye on any personal items you have decorating your cube. I had an item stolen from my desk within the first month of working there.

Promising entry-level job turned into hopeless dead-end job

Former Employee - PO Tracking Representative  in  Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - PO Tracking Representative in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Somewhat friendly co-workers. Free nerd paraphernalia. Occasionally free movie passes.

Cons

Very poor health insurance benefits. Cheap salary. Stagnant environment. Hard to advance yourself.

Stop talking down to employees. Stop expecting 1 employee to do the job of several people. Start giving realistic pay raises, and offer non-ghetto health insurance. Put a muzzle on Steve Geppi; listening to Mr. Geppi refer to his house as a "mansion" while it had been 3 years since the company had offered anyone a pay raise was not good for employee moral.

My experience may not have been typical.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I worked at Diamond Comic full-time

Pros

Diamond is loyal to those who fit the company mold. They are compassionate to all in times of difficulty.

Cons

Negative, discouraging overall environment at Home Office fostered by both employees and management. Very low ceiling for advancement, with next to zero mentoring effort applied.

Begin to mentor your replacements and prepare to step aside. Your company is stagnant and your long tenure is a big part of the reason why.

Chaotic

Current Employee - Floor Puller  in  Olive Branch, MS
    Current Employee - Floor Puller in Olive Branch, MS

I have been working at Diamond Comic

Pros

It is a job, helps pay the bill, (very little help)

Cons

Have worked there since Oct. 2010,no set start time, no set hours, there is no organization. Management acts like everyday is a new challenge, when nothing really every changes. Orders that need to go out that day by 6 pm or usually not printed until after 3 pm. Time is often not given for orders to be picked, before they are reprinted again, which means double picks are being done. Supervisors and leads do nothing but play and talk all day. There is very little communication with the workers. Nothing is followed through. There is very little training and no follow-up. There is a lot of flirting going on, and very little done about it. If your in good with a Supervisor or leads,then you can stand and talk and get away with it.

Find someone that actually knows how to run a Distribution Center. Have a cut off time for customers to place orders that need to go out same day. Train your workers, and follow up on that training.

Worked for Diamond Comic? Contribute to the Community!