Diamond Management & Technology Consultants

Diamond Management & Technology Consultants Reviews

Updated Jun 6, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Diamond Management & Technology Consultants President, CEO, and Director Adam J. Gutstein

Adam J. Gutstein

Pros
  • Great benefits - but now they are making you pay for it - so it was effectively a pay cut of(in 9 reviews)

• live anywhere policy for everyone except analysts and office support staff(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life Balance is challenging due to travel and high intensity projects(in 24 reviews)

• extremely long hours including weekend work - supervisors send emails at 10-11pm asking for a turnaround by morning(in 6 reviews)

Love the work, wonderful people.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsChallenging work, incredible colleagues, great development opportunities.

ConsNo senior management transparency anymore, we only seem to get a scripted weekly blog post that doesn't even appear to be written by the CEO.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudy some of the basics (ZS, etc..) on how to motivate partners on how to sell & deliver. Spend more time meeting with and talking with the key buyers of Diamond's services to understand why they buy our services.

Amazing people and experiences but work/life balance can be rough and new leadership is needed

Principal Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople - they are smart, hard working and incredibly nice. You will make friends for life.

Flexibility - IF you are a top performer, mgmt will bend over backwards to make you happy: including personal stuff (leave of absence or sabatical), and ability to influence what projects to work on

Stepping stone for great job at client - do well at your client and get hired by them...and skip ahead on the career ladder (relative to your friends who graduated with you and went to work directly for the client). Esp if you want to stay within the technology org for your client - the brand name typically carries respect.

Travel / food - similar to other consulting firms, you will travel to interesting places and always eat very well. Also, work for the fun partners and you'll go on some legendary boondoggles.

ConsWork life balance can be pretty warped. Highest priority is delivery - your personal life will be sacrificed. Of course this varies by partner / team / client. I know several ppl who had a great work/life balance...but the higher up the ladder you go, this disappears pretty fast. Anyone at manager and above is going to be working their bu** off...at principal sleep can be optional.

Advice to Senior ManagementA) You need to be more transparent about the decisions you make
    B) You need to get rid of the partners that consistently rank low on the 'people' dimension. You know who they are. Just because they bring in business is not a reason for them to abuse their teams. In the long run they are killing the culture and bleeding the firm of talent
    C) CEO has great intensity, knows the firm and culture extremely well and has the right integrity/ethics...but he is NOT the leader who is going to grow the firm. First, he takes about three times as long to explain something as is needed (both oral and written). Most ppl tune out when he starts talking. He's simply not inspirational. Second he's had his chance...there has been no growth from 2005-2008.. Pls don't blame the environment - that is only relevant in 2008.

Full Disclosure: I continue to be a shareholder and think there is a big market for Diamond's services and potential upside for the stock.

satisfied

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSmart people and entrepreneurial culture

Consnot enough bench strength and still a small company

Advice to Senior Managementfigure a way to grow, compensate and reward the best and brightest throughout the firm rather than continue to promote the ideals that everyoneis great

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If your willing to work, a great place to augment your business and tech skills

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe benefits are great, you can't beat our health coverage. Diamond affords all its consultants a great opportunity to be exposed to senior level employees at clients. The pay is comparable to that of our competition.

ConsPoor work life balance, if you have a family that you care about, this travel heavy lifestyle probably will not work for you. Management decisions are not transparent, it always seems like they are hiding something from us, no matter how genuine they try to look. We do a terrible job building our brand, very few people recognize the name 'Diamond' as something other than a gem.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrink your own Kool-aid. We spend so much of our time trying to help our clients and their management be more transparent in their practices and yet internally, only our senior most folks actually have a sense of what is going on. Your employees are not stupid, please don't treat us like we don't work with your equivalents at client sites every week.

Foundering CEO

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay and benefits. Good people to work with. You can get excellent exposure to top executives at clients.

ConsHours are long. It is heavily male dominated, with little progress towards work life balance. What little there is is dependent on the personality of the partner in charge of a specific project. The strategic direction is totally unclear.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new CEO. Clarify our direction, strategy and tactics. Talk more openly to employees.

Great place for self-starting, creative problem solvers; process robots need not apply

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUnbeatable benefits, very competitive salary, and most of all - working with (mostly) smart people at great clients.

ConsAs a small firm, staffing still done by word-of-mouth; your reputation proceeds you which can be good or bad; politics play a role - but not different from other firms

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus - we cannot be switching strategies and reorganizing the firm every 2-3 years. Trim the fat at the top - promote only the best.

Good company, but let's see what happens...

Senior Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSmart and influential colleagues, experienced senior management, interesting work, unmatched medical benefits, entrepreneurial spirit due to size of firm, transparency across the firm regarding internal initiatives and firm direction, respect from clients, humble and client-focused culture, trusted advisers, objective insights and recommendations, respect for work/life balance, situational leadership

ConsExcessive travel, weaker bonuses compared to counterparts, sometimes redundant work, pigeon-holing in roles, staffing projects is difficult, getting staffed to preferred projects is difficult, lack of mentoring from senior management, company is currently changing direction and focusing on execution versus strategy, can be difficult for new/experienced hires to adjust to high standards embedded throughout the company's culture, cumbersome and inconsistent review process

Advice to Senior ManagementTake more time to mentor junior team members, increase emphasis on training new hires, improve staffing process

Two years at Diamond equals four to five in experience, exposure, opportunity, and hours worked. It's worth it.

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery bright people to work with, teams are flat, and they accomplish a lot. Client list and types of projects allow teams and individuals to have a huge impact for clients. Some of the best ideas come from Analysts and Associates, while Managers and Principles are open and collaborative in style. Non-collaborative types are weeded out quickly, which is good. Some of the very best and brighest people work at Diamond.

ConsLong hours - though work life balance is talked about, it’s sometimes difficult to see in the behavior. Performance reviews can be overly complex while specific feedback can sometime seem ad hoc.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate less about what The Street wants to hear and instead talk about what the Front Line wants to hear and has questions about.

The Life of a Diamond Academy student

Associate Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome of the best reasons to work for Diamond Management & Technology Consultants are:
    - Everyone who works at Diamond Management & Technology Consultants are smart and motivated
    - Diamond offers the best health plan in the country... period
    - There is potential for an incredibly great career growth from top to bottom at Diamond Management & Technology Consultants
    - A very high emphasis is placed on collaborative approach to problem solving. It is difficult to survive without communicating with other co-workers
    - Great place to learn from other people's experiences at different clients as well as the different types of work being done

Cons- Work life balance is definitely affected due to the long hours and firm contribution activities
    - Still an old boys club in some ... definitely helps to know the right people across the firm in order to get better opportunities and one's name across
    - Monetary compensation not on par with other strategy consulting firms

Advice to Senior Management- Revamp the performance review process to focus on fixing the priorities of the different parameters
    - Solicit continuous feedback on the state of the firm by the employees

Great place to be if you are interested in working at intersection of business and technology

Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsVery collaborative culture, and great colleagues with whom you can relate with outside of the office as well

ConsLesser known among some of the other management consulting firms, especially outside of financial services sector

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to continue building on brand awareness and reputation

Worked for Diamond Management & Technology Consultants? Contribute to the Community!