Diamond Resorts

Updated February 18, 2015
2.4

Diamond Resorts Chairman and CEO Stephen J. Cloobeck
Stephen J. Cloobeck

Pros
  • they have good benefits and room to grow (in 4 reviews)

• The employee discounts given to employees and families at Diamond Resort locations (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Resort management completely out of touch with reality (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Title Recording Analyst

Former Employee - Title Analyst
    Former Employee - Title Analyst

I worked at Diamond Resorts

Pros

Great learning environment, peers were very knowledgeable with information of their positions.

Cons

no structure, no true leadership guidance

to accepted feedback and have knowledge of what employees functions are to help them grow and succeed.

Very positive experience. ..excellent income potential

I have been working at Diamond Resorts

Pros

Positive environment with professional staff

Cons

Lack of continuing education after initial training

Pay closer attention to the individual sales people

Hard to move around within the company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Diamond Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-We were given bonuses every year, not sure if that's still a thing, but that was nice
    -PTO
    -Able to work with school schedules
    -Nice work environment

Cons

-Not a lot of promotion opportunity or recognition
    -A lot of friends hiring friends and promoting each other
    -Low wage
    -Poor management (lower management level)

Hire professional lower level management team.

Too much nepotism

Current Employee - Sampler Sales in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Sampler Sales in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Diamond Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Real good benefits that accumulate very quickly, especially matching 401K after 30 days. One week vacation after 90 days, and option for discounted travel locations.

Cons

Way too much nepotism going on in this company. No ongoing communication between staff. To many friends promoting friends, hard to move up.

Become honest and teach honesty!

VPs are poor leaders, Jensen the entire workforce has low morale.

Former Employee - Operations in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Operations in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Diamond Resorts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Like every large company, it offers health and dental benefits, plus a 401k that DRI will match a minimal amount to --but hey at least it's something!

Cons

Just to give a glimpse into company culture: I reported to the same VP for five years and not once did she greet her team good morning, or send a personal email to wish us a happy holiday. It's made clear to us that VPs or higher management is not to be approached with any questions or process improvent ideas, instead we are to follow our chain of command(even after we've made it known that our direct leaders are ineffective).

Good leaders pride themselves in being available to teaching and developing their subordinates. Phenominal leaders, lead by example. Powerful leaders gain subordinate trust by being transparent, showing professionalism, care, and being humble when necessary. These are the type of leaders that DRI needs onboard in order to grow a successful organization.

DRI has been trying to qualify for a one of the best Fortune 500 companies to work for; for 4 years now.

Current Employee - Administration In Corporate Office in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Administration In Corporate Office in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Diamond Resorts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company's chairman preaches an inspirational message via emails once a month.

Cons

DRI has a poor management team. It does not promote within but rather hires management who are willing to take a low pay and do as told not as their common sense would. Some VPS don't even hold a college degree, which severely undermines the company's image.

If you want to become recognized as a Fortune 500 best company to work at, hire competent management throughout the corporation and do right by developing the young professionals you already have here, who do have degrees and already have knowledge of your operations and product. Take care of your people so that in turn they can take care of you.

Revolving Door in the Marketing Department

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Diamond Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It is a big enough company where you may have the potential to transfer to a different departments and possible room for growth.

Cons

The management would constantly hire and fire individuals for what seemed to be small issues instead of working with the personnel they had and invest in their roles as an employees. There seems to be no value in length of service or seniority. Because of this, the moral in the department seemed to be compromised. The environment was challenging. People feared that they could be the next casualty in the office.

It is very clear that this company does NOT INVEST in leadership/management training programs for their management staff. If the managers knew how to powerfully and positively lead people and create value in the employee's job, the call center environment would be an upbeat and an encouraging place to earn a decent living and at the same time, happy employees convert to happy customers and clients.

Good starting company to work for in the hospitality industry

Current Employee - Reservationist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Reservationist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Diamond Resorts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to move up and formulate a career, good start pay for interns.

Cons

Contradictory and Incorrect information shared among management and passed along to team members.

Remedial training.

Vacation Counselor

Former Employee - Vacation Counsleor in Branson, MO
    Former Employee - Vacation Counsleor in Branson, MO

I worked at Diamond Resorts

Pros

Meeting new and interesting people and sharing their life experiences and potential for product acquisition

Cons

Delayed or stymied opportunities to access potential clients

Hands-On training with positive feed-back and more realistic rotations of sales staff

Diamond Resorts: A thriving business with some leaders resistant to improvement.

Former Contractor - Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Contractor - Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Diamond Resorts as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

A company with an amazing growth trajectory and vision. Cheerful work environment with many departments that seem to work together cohesively. Although it is a professional place, potlucks and friendly office banter are not uncommon. Detailed training process, and some extraordinary middle-managers who mentor and teach very well.

Cons

I was not a staff employee, but I would have gladly stayed with the company if not for the following issues:
    Micromanaged to the point of not feeling able to get a cup of coffee in the morning. There was a sense of distrust in the department, and for good reason: tons of turnover. Many capable people were being brought in, but generally as contractors, so the lack of security just was not there from inception. This was made worse by the realization that some of the more senior managers were also there as contractors and not full time staffers. Very long training process and much of it was unnecessary as I grasped the materials and was able to address more meaningful issues by being involved in actual work and not training exercises. The manner of the most senior staff member was often condescending, and many capable managers were pushed to do things a certain way because it was the preferred way. Although Policy and Procedures are critical, it is also necessary to understand that employees are individuals. Not only does everyone learn differently, but even the most lowly specialist may have something to teach a more seasoned team member.

Retain your talent. Do not let certain teams be run like bootcamps. Build a staff that truly cares about what they are doing by hiring them as staff and allowing them to build a sense of community in the workplace. If you create team building opportunities for your department, then you must also participate in them. Recognize talent and build by positive reinforcement and sharing of information. Do not allow managers to lead by intimidation and humiliation.

I made it through training and I am an intelligent and tech-savvy person. I believe in the company and find the work fascinating, but you need to have HR look at why some departments are turning over as they do. I very much wanted to stay with the company but felt there was no future.