Diamonds International

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.1

Morris Gad

Great company to work for, large corporation but still ran like a family business.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Diamonds International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very happy work environment, I always feel that my supervisor and boss are accessible to me and ready to help or answer my questions! I feel as though the company truly wants to see me succeed and they give you all the tools necessary to do so. I am constantly learning and working with many different departments on multiple projects.

Cons

Some months require a good bit of travelling but it is always to nice places.

Diamonds International offers a very unique job experience that is a wonderful opportunity to take.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Diamonds International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You can partake in an industry that is unlike any other, and have the opportunity to learn about the multiple different business aspects that go into running a successful duty-free retailer. The chance to travel, a flexible work-life balance, combined with working alongside people from all different walks of life, creates a wonderful work environment.

Cons

The company is currently working to further enhance management training and retain qualified employees, and the effort has been showing within the past year. I feel this will continue to grow within the next few years!

Pretty good working atmosphere, you can go up into management positions easily, lots of training.

I worked at Diamonds International

Pros

Management very knowledgeable and helpful, continuos training.

Cons

The money you make in comparison to what you sale is ridiculous, they should improve the commission structure .

Work environment is great, just need to let salesman make a fair amount of money.

DI Internship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Diamonds International as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Largest duty-free retailer but run like a family business. Everyone treats you like family. Wonderful working environment.

Cons

Some of the women that work there only want to succeed themselves and don't want to help other women succeed within the company. Obviously there are plenty of other men and women within the company who do want you to succeed.

Great money awesome fun people

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ketchikan, AK
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ketchikan, AK

I worked at Diamonds International as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Working with a group of people from all over the world. Gaining retail sales experience with ability to earn high commissions... Products are beautiful!!!!

Cons

Long hours and sometimes the slow times are dreadfully boring, but there are ways to stay busy. Being held responsible for other peoples area of jewelry during daily inventory. Too many young new hires that don't take the nuts and bolts of the job seriously.

Give some of your salespeople with more common sense more management responsibilities...

Last resort

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Diamonds International

Pros

They offer health benefits after 90 days and 1 weeks paid vacation after 1 year. You can also earn sick leave.

Cons

They work you like a dog. There is little to no training, they just throw you in the ring. Commission seems good at first but the shopping guides on the ships and the managers bust the commission down to 1%. Prices are high and some of the quality of merchandise they expect you to sell seems poor. It's all about getting as much money out of the customer as you can. Poor attitudes all around.

N/A

Former Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service in New York, NY

I worked at Diamonds International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Well balance with personal life.

Cons

Poor management/hostile place to work.

No comments.

Working for Diamonds International was basically treading water waiting for a life preserver...

Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Diamonds International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hard to come up with one, but I'll give it a try. Good insurance plan if you can afford it. You may get a chance to travel. You get to say you worked in the diamond industry. You'll meet influential people with high end brands that might give you a job when you quit or get fired. Also, at least your check will be correct and on time...

Cons

No real upward mobility unless you are a Jewish Male or related to the owners. Promises made when hired are rarely delivered on. Major political rift between the sibling owners which cause major obstacles to progress and growth within the company.

If you hire a person to do a job based on their expertise and education... Listen to them! Following other peoples trends doesn't always work in the company's benefit, because by the time you see it, it's already old news.

analyst in the cormoprat HQ

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Diamonds International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great experience, traveling a lot, learning many useful things

Cons

demanding, unstable schedule, working long hours

stay the same

Find another job

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in New York, NY

I have been working at Diamonds International

Pros

There is noting to say about this place that is good accept it pays the bills.

Cons

It's hard to find an upside.

Stop hiring people who don't know what they are doing to Senior Management positions.