Dice

Dice President, CEO, and Director Scot W. Melland

Scot W. Melland

Dice is really great

I have been working at Dice full-time

ProsGreat people and lots of interesting work.

ConsNo room for personal growth

Good energy, collaborative, relaxed environment.

Shared Services Contractor (Current Employee)
Urbandale, IA

I have been working at Dice as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI am enjoying my time at Dice. Functioning like a true tech company the atmosphere is relaxed and casual. If you prefer to wear jeans and a sweatshirt on Tuesday you can, if you like to wear dress pants you can do that too. A fun environment that seems like it encourages a happy, relaxed but productive work place.

ConsAll parts of the business (customer service, sales, marketing, tech service/repair etc) are laid out in chunks, sometimes it can be difficult for the individual units to work together or communicate.

A good company, but struggling to find its place in a changing environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Dice full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat brands, smart people to work with

ConsSlow to make changes, particularly in Prodcut

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to move faster

Time will tell

ProsWork life balance
New leadership
Great people
Competitive pay
The future looks better, new leadership brings new ideas and innovation. Hopefully the years ahead will be even brighter.

ConsBack end driven
Lack of strategy
Poor planning causes too many unnecessary issues
Poor communication between departments
Too much power to the financial side of the business

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so back end focused. Make sure you have the best people in each position. The future looks bright..... LEAD and INNOVATE

excellent company, helping people find jobs

I have been working at Dice full-time

Prosgood culture, great people, dynamic

Consa bit slow to change things

Advice to Senior Managementspeed up

Good Company but Very Stressful, good bonus program

Information Technology (Former Employee)

I worked at Dice full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent benefits, nice people, everyone is very friendly, good bonus program

ConsTheir expectations for project timelines are unattainable at times. IT and Accounting are always battling with little power plays back and forth. IT and Accounting directors are extremely difficult to work for as they do not communicate there needs in a professional manner. Have realistic goals and needs better communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to give better direction and remember what direction they have given. Inform the employees of the direction they are trying to go in instead making changes constatnly. Stay with one game plan and not change in the middle of things. Have realistic goals.

Good Place to Work, Best for Marketing, Sales and IT

New York, NY

I have been working at Dice

ProsWork-Life Balance, smart management, engaging teams. Management seems interested in opinions from everyone and will listen to opposing views without prejudice.

ConsConservative management, sometimes intervenes in decisions better left to technical or line managers and staff. Marketing-driven, sometimes at expense of smooth operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the relatively flat organization chart, talk more to end users, even the small ones, be more aggressive with PR at all levels.

Great People; Awful Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Dice full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat co-workers
Flexible hours
Casual environment

This is neither the best company I've worked for; neither is it the worst. I chose the title for this review very deliberately. Almost to a person, the folks who work here are kind, considerate, thoughtful people. They are fun to work with. They were good people with a sense of mission, to help tech job seekers advance in their careers. They all seemed to genuinely agree with this mission, rather than simply being in it for a paycheck.

ConsExtremely hierarchical
No sense of strategic direction

Despite the good people, the culture as a whole is not one that will lead to success, and despite being a tech-oriented company, is not very tuned in to the ethos of Silicon Valley. It's hierarchical to the point that I was not permitted to consult with the person immediately over my boss. My co-worker was chided for making a business suggestion to the president of the company. Similarly, the company, despite being relatively small, moved glacially. The result of this is that workers can complete plans in isolation, only to have them scrapped completely when the upper levels of management see them. Workers were not empowered to execute the strategies they laid out. In addition, the company seems to jerk back and forth with various strategies/tactics, rather than having an overall strategy, and taking steps to implement it. It was like a pendulum that was constantly swinging back and forth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management would be to create a mission and subgoals, rather than trying various tactics to see what would stick. I would also suggest a more hierarchical organization with openness to new ideas.

My review

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits
New Leadership
Flexibility
Good work environment

ConsLack of communication
Lack of career training and advancement
Leadership tends to play favorites
No raises

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more of what is going on. Provide sales training opportunities

Sales

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dice full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people - everyone works hard. Product is solid but not spectacular.

ConsTechnology at times seem a little dated. Company does not move as fast as competition is moving in product development. Product team needs to think outside the box.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and end users. Use the customer input that the sales team bring in to move the product forward.

Worked for Dice? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dice reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dice CEO Scot W. Melland. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Dice employees.