Dick Blick

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Buchsbaum

Good for Art Students

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts on supplies
    Learn about art supplies
    Meeting other artists

ConsLow pay rate
    Irregular hours
    No benefits

Fun working with all of the art supplies and meeting local artists.

Lead Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosworking here has taught me everything i needed to know about art supplies and techniques. The people who worked with me were fantastic.

ConsPromotion are easy to get if you work hard but the pay increase is not worth the promotion. yearly reviews are unfairly given and scored down to keep you from getting raises even though highly praised for your hard work throughout the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo keep the employees that work hard they need reward them fairly and not try find loop holes around pay raises.

Lead Sales Associate

Sales Lead (Current Employee) Omaha, NE

ProsFriendly customers and co-workers. The specific knowledge required about the supplies makes it fun to help out with random customer creation questions.

ConsTerrible internal politics. Favoritism, unfair scheduling, sense of entitlement within the management. Pay is better than it was, but not good enough to make up for the crappy hours. There are a few serious issues within this particular store and upper management has been alerted multiple times, but no attempts to make changes have been seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a retail job. You are not entitled to weekends and holidays off, and to call it quits at 40 hours. If you don't want to work a shift, chances are employees don't want to work it either.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best coworkers; lousy pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe workers here are probably one of the best people you will ever meet. Since this job requires you to know specific things, it's really fun to learn a lot of things you wouldn't normally learn on your own. Discount is awesome.

ConsThe pay is horrible... Although the raises you get are ok, depending on management. We should get paid more because we are required to know a lot of our products and customers ask a lot for advice or even how to do certain things.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Don't open on holidays if you're not willing to work on those days too. Working holidays like New Years just started this year. Please don't try to take your employees away from their family.

A fun place to work.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Roswell, GA

ProsYou get to meet local artists and learn about all kinds of art and mediums.

ConsThe company does not pay well and you have to work weekends.

Great culture, entertaining work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA

ProsManagers knew exactly what they were doing, work interesting and invigorating to learn about art and interact with customers. Great coworkers, fair hours, great employee discount and benefits.

ConsObviously minimum wage, so doesn't pay well.

Sometimes Good and sometimes not.

Sales Person/Cashier (Current Employee) Savannah, GA

ProsWorking with art materials. The customers. The students at SCAD. The store is awesome. I like most of the people I work with accept the managers.

ConsThe schedule uncertainty. Poor Management. not a positive atmosphere. The amount of hours are not dependable.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the employees more incentives to want to work for Dick. Raise Minimum wage. Create a schedule that is less chaotic.

Never again.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent co-workers, good employee discount.

ConsSERIOUSLY underpaid employees with extremely limited work hours (of course, more hours would mean employee benefits but other than a good discount, this company offers NONE.). Management says they have competitive pay compared to other retail stores and chains, but it's not like you have to be specialized in something or have invested a lifetime of skills to work at UO, right? Most employees in these stores are professional artists with higher education and they're being paid pocket change, even though sales are high and steady. Higher management is very false to their employees. Supposedly the company follows an open door policy, but the employees' opinions, advice and needs are better off reaching deaf ears. It's a shame Utrecht was acquired by Blick. Now THAT was a good company to work for! Very disenchanted with how the company has declined with the merger.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your employees more, listen to their needs and actually do something about it. Take to account that your employees are specialists and not always replaceable. Be honest with your employees. Maybe then you'd be able to avoid serious labor turnovers.

Fair

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat managers, accommodating, friendly environment

ConsWith the shift in attaining its competitor, Utrecht corporate began to focus less on the needs of each store making some unnecessary changes that seem to only effect the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe as organized as it once was and take the time to listen to your staff for advice again.

Merchandising

Merchandising (Current Employee) Highland Park, IL

ProsCompany has been in business for a long time

ConsThere are out dated systems that are being used.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate systems

Worked for Dick Blick? Contribute to the Community!