Dick Blick Reviews

Bob Buchsbaum

1. Manager

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Dick Blick full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work pays off. Good compensation with fair reviews. Upper management is committed to making the company a 100 best company.

Cons

Overly critical managers. Software systems can be limiting and cause long waits for reports. Registers in stores have challenges. Hopefully they will get fixed.

Advice to Management

It's great that management are hands on. I can ask any question and get an answer with detailed explanations.

2. Good for art students

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff are generally nice. Management is easy enough to get along with. Flexible Management sometimes go out of their way to improve relations among staff. You'll learn a lot about how to use art supples. Good for art students.

Cons

Tone-deaf HR. Horrendous and unfair lateness policy that was only changed recently. Easy to get canned.

Advice to Management

None that can be thought of. Would be great if people higher up in corporate actually listened to the concerns of their staff.

3. Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. A creative place to work

Cons

schedule changes constantly so it is difficult to plan anything more than a week or two in advance.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice. My experience there was good for what it was.

5. Walk away and do not look back

I worked at Dick Blick full-time

Pros

working with customers and meeting local artists is a plus. Flexible schedules, close early or closed on major holidays is good.

Cons

+ Corporate politics. + Been told on several occasions by DM that corporate does not care store level or management ideas + HR is a joke. There is no confidentiality. + Every store manager is out for personal gain. To many butt kissers and rumors. + Corporate Directors act unprofessional and talk crap about store managers and corporate personnel...to other store managers. + CEO is clueless on what goes on in the stores because everyone feeds him what he wants to know and not what he should know. Starts with the VP and down. + Same crap, different day routine.

Advice to Management

You need to start looking at how other retailers do things. Since I have been gone, I clearly see how Blick is behind in the times in regards to policies and procedures. Wake up, clean house at corporate and bring in outside personnel who have experience in growing retail on a larger scale, instead of the same old guard, with the same crappy ideas. Your corporate is filled with "yes" people, but are hurting your business because they are not on the same page with the core beliefs. Start with finding a Retail President and VP who have success in other retailers in these positions. Look at your Store Directors who are mostly two-faced and bring in quality who know what it takes to build and will not be buddies with SM's. You may be the best when it comes to selling art supplies because of pricing and selection, but your inner workings are holding you back. Take these words to heart!

6. Every Man or Woman for Him/Herself

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Dick Blick part-time

Pros

I'm an artist, and I got to work with art supplies. Many customers are easy to talk to and you can connect on sharing an important part of your life - art.

Cons

It's a retail job - your hours vary, there is a high turnover rate of low-level employees and customers can be completely unreasonable. Some people thrive in a retail environment, but Blick does nothing to help solve any of these problems. I've worked at other retail establishments feeling so much more valued as an employee. This, in turn, makes the above problems much more bearable. Notes passed down from the leadership are condescending. When our state passed legislature dictating that the minimum wage would be increasing, Blick sent out a memo that informed us that they would so graciously be raising our wages up to the new minimum wage a few months before they had to. They made it sound like it was a huge gift that they were giving us, and that we should be exceedingly thankful because they're really looking out for us. This was the last straw for me, and I put in my two weeks. Profit sharing is also talked about often, but I never saw one cent of this supposed bonus. At the time I worked there, you had to beat the numbers of the previous year for that week by certain percentages to make bonus. This proved to be impossible as art supply sales slipped due to the economy. Constantly being told that "we might make bonus" this pay period and then never receiving it is a huge blow to morale.

Advice to Management

Work on the morale of your staff. Artists work at the store because, in a lot of cases, they truly love the product we sell. The higher-up attitude that entry-level employees are completely dispensable creates a depressing, "every man for himself" work environment.

7. don't bother

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Dick Blick

Pros

Store level boots on the ground employees make the company.

Cons

Corporate are a bunch of soul suckers that don't value the workers putting money in their pockets.

8. Manager

I have been working at Dick Blick

Pros

Great Company and great people

Cons

Can be stressful with longish hours

9. Sales Associate

I worked at Dick Blick

Pros

Blick has really come a long way in making the store a better place to work in the past year or two. There management has increasingly been more responsive to employee needs and benefits are in the near future for part-timers. Great training videos that have been implemented (cheesy, but good information on products).

Cons

The schedule can never be set; it is week by week, hours can fluctuate (as is with any part-time retail position) and this can make a work/life balance difficult. Secret shopper reviews are huge, this isn't a bad thing but if you get a bad one, it will be reflected on your review. Although management is increasingly responsive, they still battle a bit of negativity from part time staff (again, this is pretty much like any part-time position)....The worst "con" is that there is no real room for growth. Usually the good staff leaves within a 2-3 year period because nothing is changing in their status/ hours....nowhere to go in this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the improvements!

10. A Corporate Company

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Savannah, GA

I worked at Dick Blick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Profit sharing, a lot of chances to be creative, some of the best co-workers, health and dental benefits for full time employees, a discount on art supplies

Cons

No room for personal advancement, the best you can hope for is being moved to the same job at a different store. The pay is horrible for new people, and won't get better for a very long time. Very little flexibility, as a part-timer you will likely get too many or too few hours.

Advice to Management

I wish there was a little more flexibility, but over-all the local management created a very fun store to work for. However, with no where to go, the jobs usually hit a dead end very quickly.

11. Potential

I have been working at Dick Blick

Pros

Management has really stepped it up, but not to complete satisfaction. There is better communication, and better outlook.

Cons

sales leads, in my experience, are poorly chosen...this could be coincidence

Advice to Management

pay more! you have knowledgeable staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed