Dick Blick

Updated November 26, 2014
2.8

Bob Buchsbaum

In Store Utrecht to Blick Review

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Important note** I was here in the transition between Utrecht and Blick Stores so I can't speak for traditional Blick Stores as mine was a transitional store. I'm also experienced in different locations and the two stores differed vastly in training. So.. in general:
    -Art discounts are great.
    -The coworkers are wonderful and knowledgeable in their expertise. However I felt as if I learned more in Utrecht one-on-one training sessions than I did at my time at Blicks.
    -I think Blick handles their sale and rewards card processes more efficiently/painlessly. A lot of things I was happy going forth with in the company. There were still some set backs.
    -Reasonable store hours. Asking for time off wasn't a big deal at my store as a student but I've heard it wasn't as easy in other "traditional" stores.
    -Better HR
    -Offers a retirement plan and insurance
    -Often the President and VP are making personal visits to stores and working along side employees. So they're not completely blind to what's happening in the retail world.

Cons

-You may be expected to wear many hats without compensation
    -You might be expected to shop the "competition" even if it means going undercover into your own school store and risking getting kicked out or banned. How is this allowed?
    -Blick will secret shop you and if you get a bad rating, be ready to be written up. They take their secret shoppers too seriously
    -I had no yearly review or raise even though I was the longest standing employee in my final store/ had trained everyone at some point who grew into management positions
    -The Blick/Utrecht transition was a bit of a mess in my store. We were pushed and pulled a bit back and forth as employees with new rules changing weekly. Few jobs were threatened and few were lost in the entirety of the company during the transition. The few job losses were all shoved under the table even though they made promises to keep the same "smiling faces" to the public. ***(I learned a valuable lesson here, never train your manager)****
    -We lost our artistic discretion. Utrecht had it and that's what made it so "not-corporate" We could arrange the store, do window displays etc under our own management unless told otherwise. Now it's under Blick control, which is in a way, a weight off our shoulders but we were one of the lucky stores who had a creative chalkboard. Upon completion of the last artistic mural that went upon it (after Blick transition), management was told that we had wasted their payroll by corporate and that it did nothing for Blick's sales. It was a bit of a slap. Little did they know we drew attention with it on the streets and it brought a LOT of traffic in our front doors where traffic wouldn't have otherwise been at all. We had people yelling compliments at our board through the windows after store hours.

I admire the fact that the VP and P took effort to get to know the stores and make personal visits. I hope that doesn't stop because knowing what is going on in the front lines is just as important as the numbers. As a "family owned company" I think you should put more trust into your employees. Having everyone on their tippy toes all the time with the secret shoppers and taking away creative freedom is a bit of a low blow to the people who are your roots, holding you up. Maybe give better attention to training your employees that way there would be no need for secret shopping. Give them an incentive to work harder and keep their job rather than looking to jump to the next retail store.. Better pay might be a good start. 1 hour breaks rather than 30 minutes? Treating employees like their valued? Just a few ideas. The company already stands out from the traditional retail in the goods it sells and the clientele. It just needs to stand out in the way it treats employees if you want to hire the best of the best and keep them too.

Retail, that expects a lot for very little

I have been working at Dick Blick part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Co-workers, interesting atmosphere, great opportunity to learn.

Cons

Low pay, difficulty moving up, the expectations of their employees is what a company where employees work on commission are expected to offer. You could get paid more at most retail stores and not be expected to hold your customers hand through service, know absolutely everything about everything (with little training and guidance). It's great that they want to give the customers this experience, but it'd be nice if they cared about their employees more, and gave us a competitive reason to stay there.

Great summer internship experience!

Former Employee - Web Programming Intern in Highland Park, IL
    Former Employee - Web Programming Intern in Highland Park, IL

I worked at Dick Blick as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot in my short time at Blick. I worked on the back end of their website and was able to get experience working with several different webpage programs. My supervisors were supportive and wanted me to gain as much knowledge from the internship as possible.

Cons

My commute was long (about 2 hours each way), but other than that I have no complaints about my time at Blick.

Great company to work for.

I have been working at Dick Blick full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The family that owns the company really care about the employees.

Cons

Work / life balance needs to improve.

A fun and relaxed job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a super relaxed environment. Even when customers were grumpy, it was an enjoyable experience. My coworkers were all really chill and helpful. There was a mix of which medium my coworkers used, so we had a good breadth of knowledge with helping people as well as each other. Schedule was pretty flexible; my manager was really easy to talk to about anything work related. Promotional times were fun and interesting. Employee discount was nice.

Cons

There wasn't much room for growth, at least not at my particular location. When I worked for the company, they had just had the merger with Utrecht, and it seemed that sales were low. Upper management (beyond the store) would urge for payroll cuts or higher sales goals, and I didn't think it was fair to have my schedule cut for the sake of saving the company money.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are majoring in art or just do art as a hobby, it's great to work here! discounts on supplies is AWESOME!

Cons

They aren't that flexible with schedules, in the beginning they say they do accommodate student schedules but down the road they start to write you up for any missed day that you had asked off.

Hire more sales people during high season, I worked during Christmas and it was a nightmare with only 3 people running the store.

A great work environment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked working at Blick. The people were really welcoming, the managers (at least most of them) were really warm and everyone got along pretty well. Everyone was really willing to help you out, too when a customer asked about a product that I knew nothing about.

Cons

There were not really any cons I can think of. People were really great, and everything was really organized. Best you can get for retail.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Dick Blick part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance, creative, networking, awesome co-worker, raises are annual which isn't 50cent or $1.00. more like 10cent to 30 cent. cheap

Cons

Work pay, no room for growth, rude customers.

retail associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Dick Blick part-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy, discounts on materials, anyone can do this job

Cons

low pay, infexible scheduling, horrible customers

pay more for enthusiastic employees

Fun working with all of the art supplies and meeting local artists.

Former Employee - Lead Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Lead Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Dick Blick part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working here has taught me everything i needed to know about art supplies and techniques. The people who worked with me were fantastic.

Cons

Promotion are easy to get if you work hard but the pay increase is not worth the promotion. yearly reviews are unfairly given and scored down to keep you from getting raises even though highly praised for your hard work throughout the year.

To keep the employees that work hard they need reward them fairly and not try find loop holes around pay raises.