Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated May 16, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only(in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions(in 27 reviews)

• From what I've heard from my full time co-workers, benefits are non-existent(in 25 reviews)

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

As bad as retail gets

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsI am an athlete, so I found the environment to be sufficiently entertaining, employee discount was quite good. The customers were enjoyable to deal with.

ConsThe hourly staff were considerably better educated and capable than the store management. Managers I worked with were poorly skilled for leadership and ill-equipped for management roles. Typical for a retail company where entry level employees get promoted to store management level - The Peter Principal. The regional management are no less incompetent. Interestingly, not once did management, at any level, solicit or accept input from the highly educated and intelligent hourly staff. Now why in the world would you hire all that talent then refuse to engage that potential. Everything is driven from a corporate office, by minions who have probably never worked at the store level or in a retail environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a disconnect between corporate and the stores. I am certain that Ed Stack thinks all is well in his kingdom; but he would be an excellent candidate for Undercover Boss. Ed, try stopping in unannounced, you might be quite surprised at what you find. Every corporate visit during my tenure was scheduled in advance - so the regional manager had time to cover his behind by bringing in staff from other stores to clean up and prepare the store; defeats the purpose of a corporate visit since the officers never see the store as the customer typically does, therefore they never understood the reason for the stores performance. This explains the idiotic sales plans, no to mention the merchandising planagrams - a complete waste of time.

Avoid At All Costs

Operations Associate (Former Employee) Buford, GA

ProsEmployee discount and friendly co-workers.

ConsManagement at this location is horrible. They definitely have their own agenda and only care about trying to make their budget. Management blame the employees for everything and rarely do you hear a positive message from any of them. It is extremely negative, demotivating environment. It is hard to have a positive attitude while working there.
    The pay is well below average for the area. There is little to no advancement opportunity. The General Manager of this location should be an Assistant at most. As a management team (senior management included) they have no idea that the problem is actually the management and their lack of ability to treat people fairly, nicely and positively. As a whole they are completely clueless as to why they are losing good people regularly and can't seem to hit their "numbers" on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to listen to your employees, some of them have a clue. Don't be so stubborn and think you are better than everyone else, because truly you are not. They need to take a step back and humble themselves. Engage with your employees and actually have conversations with them and treat them more than a robot. Also, don't refute everything they say since some of us are actually well educated and experienced, and, on a typical day, could run circles around you.

OK, but unrealistic expectations

Cashier (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGet a decent discount, work with some very nice people, try to accommodate your schedule unless it is in the Month of December:) Staying open for Black Friday all day and night like all the loser stores such as *mart, etc.

ConsI work as a cashier, and these are the duties of a person getting just above minimum wage. Greet customers and ask if they found everything ok, get them to sign up for a scorecard( a free loyalty card), try to upsell a protection plan if available on their product(s), try to get them to open a credit card, take returns, use coupons that only work for 1/2 of our clothing and merchandizing, explain why the other half do not accept coupons, turn away coupons received on the internet from unauthorized places, answer the phone, not allowed to drink water at the front line, and do it all within 1-2 minutes because of the constant understaffing, and fold cloths if you happen to get a breather.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more cashiers, give cashiers so more $, all employees should sell the protection plan and credit cards, not just the cashiers, type in larger letters which sale clothes are not on sale, have a sign posted we only accept authorized Dick's credit cards. Start making ALL employees mention the scorecard and credit card, everyone should answer the phone. REALLY need to employ more cashiers, waiting in line for 10-15 minutes sucks, and there is no way that the person will get a scorecard let alone a protection plan or credit card. ALL store, no matter the size should have a greeter to help out to show clients where everything is and help keep the lines flowing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I felt that the experience was a good one during college.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe schedule was always clear and concise. There was usually the number of hours available that you requested.

ConsAt times you felt overwhelmed and understaffed. There was an unreal expectation for what you should know about every product.

Very friendly work place.

Freight Flow Lead (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood systems that define work functions.

ConsManagement not receptive to hourly employee input.

Good

Cashier (Current Employee) Alpharetta, GA

ProsNice work environment. Good managers

ConsThey do not always have 40 hours per week

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk your employees how they are doing

Horrible Management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Buford, GA

ProsYou get to wear gym shoes, that's about it.

ConsHorrible management - they are only there to work you so they can make a bonus and move up in the company. They do not care if you have prior experience or a college degree, all they want is someone that can help make sales goals and work horrible hours. Hourly rate is poor, turnover rate is high, and hours are cut constantly, not guaranteeing the hours you were told at your interview.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating the associates like drones, and more like people. And don't lie about hours when you interview people - Dick's will cut hours before they cut prices, leaving customers frustrated because there is no help on the floor and associates working multiple departments since there isn't enough coverage.

Great company, bad interpersonal politics

Confidential (Current Employee) East Point, GA

ProsExcellent benefits and programs for employees such as charity sales, blue call, pysch, etc

ConsManagement oversee the employees with the likeness of a controlled institution. The management have a regimen which consists of standing at the top of conveyors in shifts and surveilling the employees while they work, follow employees around the warehouse in an intimidating way even though the warehouse is completely wired with cameras, and favortism and corruption is so deeply embedded in the culture from management, that it makes working at a great company more than challenging. I am not ranting or venting, you are welcome to come and become apart of us and see firsthand.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is not so much the workers, but management's behavior needs to be reassessed by a third party. They have training classes so that is not working effectively. Therefore, I suggest a thorough dig and cut of the bad seeds to resolve these issues.

Only work if you need to!

Cashier (Former Employee) Kennesaw, GA

ProsCustomer service experience
    26% discount

ConsManagement was unprofessional
    Lack of order
    Do not appreciate customers

Cool place to work, not so cool pay

Lodge Associate (Current Employee) Loganville, GA

ProsGreat atmosphere for someone who is passionate about sports or the outdoors, meeting diverse people, relatively easy work, great employee discounts

ConsVERY low hours at times, seems to be little oppurtunity for advancement, sometimes managers expect unrealistic goals to be met

Advice to Senior Managementmst of my managers are good people, but they expect the employees to automatically know everything with very little training.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!