Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only(in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions(in 27 reviews)

• From what I've heard from my full time co-workers, benefits are non-existent(in 25 reviews)

Good people, Bad management

Apparel Associate (Current Employee) Colorado Springs, CO

ProsThe coworkers I have are amazing cool people. Most of them have amazing outside knowledge in many things and are willing to just help you out. From car troubles (one used to be a mechanic) to computer glitches(one has built computer for years).

ConsThe company claims to be great for college students. But when you availability changes due to class times management cuts your hours drastically. There's always a screw up on the schedule that needs to be fixed or leaves you working by yourself when by standard there should be 2 people. They do not inform you of anything that needs to be done until the last minute so that you are then rushing to complete several tasks at once, even if they knew about it for weeks on end.

Advice to Senior ManagementOf you wouled just work on communication the store would move so much more smoothly.

Retail hell!

Team Lead (Former Employee) Murrieta, CA

ProsOrganization is highly predicated towards game plans. Leaving managers to easily accomplish tasks.

ConsStore Managers are under extreme stress, leaving them irritable. Often the moral of the staff is poor do to horrible store management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go management who can't cut it.

Stupid

Shoe Specialist (Former Employee) Saint George, UT

Prosyou got to be around a lot of sports stuff

ConsNo culture. Slave labor, bad wages

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow with something positive

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good second job or part time job for students

Golf Sales Associate (Former Employee) Papillion, NE

ProsEasy job with multiple perks for not having to work very hard. In down time you can hit balls and test out all of the brand new clubs. Pretty laid back managers that are always around if they are needed.

ConsHaving to do other department's jobs while still expected to handle customers in the golf section. The scheduling system changed to a computer system that would schedule me even when I had marked those days as not available to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the scheduling system. Schedule more employees in all of the other sections of the store so the Golf department isn't doing all of their jobs for them.

Enjoyable

Front End Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to acquire retail experience.

ConsThere was a lack of communication between employee and higher management.

Great when hours are available

ProsCool staff, good to help out people and talk sports. Discount is nice.

ConsNot a lot of pay, not many hours to be given. Incentives would be nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training as well as more incentives.

Good job for when you need one

CSS (Current Employee) Fort Myers, FL

Pros25% off most purchases and 3% of protection plans makes the pay benefits good for both full and part time associates.

ConsSeverely understaffed during most busy hours and days. Very unstable schedule when it comes to hours. Lack of management training leads to mass confusion at times. Departments forced to work in other departments while keeping track of their own department.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease hours available for better coverage on schedules and allow for easier promotion process for those deserving of it.

It's a retail job. Low stress, low pay. Do it for the discount

Apparel Associate (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

Proseasy
    awesome discount, esp when you do the online trainings to learn more about products
    fun social environment
    like-minded people (i like being active, so did most of the people that worked there)

Consodd hours, shifts all over the place
    always short-staffed
    pay is just awful
    (all of these things are expected in retail, of course)

Advice to Senior ManagementMeh. I don't have any opinions about it.

Cashier in El Paso

Cashier (Former Employee) El Paso, TX

ProsLots of down time, pretty easy to keep up with your own end, and an okay pay. Not too bad if it's just a temporary part time gig. If you need time off you could usually get it as long as you turn in your paper two weeks ahead of time.

ConsScheduling issues a lot of the time, having to pick up the slack for other departments' work, could be better. It felt like no one, not even the managers, ever wanted to be there. Associates wouldn't really want to work together despite no one wanting to help other departments. Lots of over scheduling early on and under scheduling later on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just tell the associates what the core beliefs are, find a way to make it a real thing. And quit under scheduling the apparel department. You can't have two people working for all those clothes and tell everyone to fold as fast as they can come closing time. Everyone has their own area to worry about already.

fun and fast paced

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Riverhead, NY

ProsShoppers like to be in the store. Fun Staff, Days go by fast.

ConsVery busy work day should rate a higher pay scale

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue training and add incentives-bonus for hourly employees

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!