Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated July 31, 2014
Updated July 31, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

3 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Average retail job

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are many programs for positive reinforcement of good work, managers are fairly flexible with scheduling.

Cons

Management seems to prefer outside hiring that promoting from within. Old and slow technology makes working with customers difficult.

"Focus on the customer, not on cleaning." is followed by "Why is it such a mess?"

The company is expanding, so their doing something right.

Looks fun from the outside, but inside its is a whole different story.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

I was lucky enough to have great managers when I first started. When I first started it was fun. Great coworkers and managers. First managers I had were flexible.

Cons

The pay is a joke. You're background doesn't matter they will try to offer you the lowest amount possible.
    There is no room for growth. Kept telling people they would become leads when there was opening but never promoted them or skipped over people who deserved the promotion. Instead they will take advantage of you if you are willing to help out. They will keep you at part time so they don't have to give you full time benefits and then give you full time hours. Not only that they would expect to take the role of the lead if there was none while they take six months to hire someone else, who then you get to train how to do the job they refuse to give you. We had 3 full timers leave out of 6 and the managers would claim we don't have any full time positions for anyone.
    We had low turnover originally, but a few people left and it was a domino effect. After that turnover was crazy high. The new managers came in with a whole different mentality, which is understandable by they tried changing a lot. The problem is our store was good before them and worse after they arrived.

If ain't broke, don't fix it. The store I was at was great, then managers changed and it went downhill quickly. Employee moral quickly sank as well. Quit taking advantage of the employees who are willing to help out. Give them what they deserve. Try rewarding those who show they deserve it.

Integrity

Current Employee - Sales Leader - Hourly  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Leader - Hourly in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Flexible hours and good compensation. This is a company that looks to hire from within when good candidates present themselves.

Cons

Over the past few years, Dick's has lost perspective on the importance of staffing their stores. Lowering the bottom line is also important in any organization, but for a double-decker location, it is impossible to expect for a single employee to provide the level of service they are required to provide.

Don't compromise your integrity for this job. For instance, the FACE surveys that are very important in judging how we are doing as a company should not be allowed to be taken by their employees. I don't think that Ed Stack is necessarily aware of this act, but I can guarentee those around him are and they are allowing this to happen. You should be taking more from the companies you ahve taken over such as Gaylans and Golf Galaxy. Rather than having them conform to your way of business, PLEASE learn from what made them one of the best companies to work for. Re-introduce the FISH philosophy! What a wonderful way to empower your employees. Having happy employees shows in the service they provide to their customers. I am aware that there is a limit to what you can do, but little things go a LONG way with employees. Gaylans and Golf Galaxy understood that. It is a shame that people dont have an option to work at a job they truly LOVE!

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!