Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only(in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions(in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance(in 13 reviews)

Store life, what life?

Sales Support Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat to be around sports.

ConsSalaried managers required to work 5-10 hour shifts a week, while also expected to work additional hours during the holidays and inventory time. Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance. A lot of disconnect from the corporate office to the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet Mon-Thurs schedules can be done while rotating weekends so that your management teams have an opportunity to live normal lives.

My Review

ProsIt was a fun job if you like sports

Consit was a lot of sports and men

Descent job

Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDescent pay, easy work. Basically just help customers shop

ConsSome rude customers, and hard to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) Brandon, FL

ProsGreat College Job. Worked well with me on scheduling my work around my classes.

ConsWorking weekends. Long holiday hours.

Bicycle Technician/Sales Associate

Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI worked in the Mall at Robinson, and it was pretty good. Obviously it's a part-time high school student job, but the atmosphere was fun. The management was easy to work with. As long as you're not unwilling to learn and you're responsible, they like you. All the departments are specialized, so there is a learning curve if you're jumping in. Advice: learn quickly and ask lots of questions.

ConsIf the management doesn't like you, they'll stop scheduling you. Just do your best, though, and you'll have no problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be aware that most of your employees are kids in high school or college. No real-world experience, and just need some money. Find a way to motivate them and keep them interested. AKA, don't just yell at everyone for doing something wrong...

It's great if you get the right managers.

Apparel Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood corporation. It takes quite a while to go from hourly to a lead, but leads seem to like the treatment that they get from managers, because there's very little turnover. Lots of flexibility before and after the schedules come out. Managers are open to giving you extra hours if you ask for it, there is a need, and it's in the budget.

ConsIt is retail, so you'll get a good share of customers who don't look at you as a person who is there to help. If you're in apparel you'll find that your job is to clean up piles of crumpled up sports bras and stretch pants (Seriously people! Try it on. Put it back!). When lines get long at the registers the entire store freaks out and managers start to yell for backup, even though they know that there are no more trained cashiers on the shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more flexibility to department managers when it comes to displaying merch. I know that your highly paid MBA graduates worked hard on those game plans, but they haven't experienced retail like your store managers have, and software is no substitute for eyes on the floor.

Overall it was a good experience.

ProsFlexible hours, fun atmosphere, good people to work with.

ConsSome managers worse than others, sometimes tedious

Could have been a lot better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood friends, if your wiling to learn then you can move up easily.

ConsNever a constant schedule and depending on your last name you may get fewer hours is it get closer to the end of the alphabet.

Good but not Great

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGreat coworkers
    Great store managers
    Pretty good discounts
    reasonable hours
    fun customer interactions

ConsUpper Management is detached from the stores
    District Managers view employees as replaceable

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more time and care into your employees and sales will rise

OK as a summer job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN

ProsFlexible Hours, products I was interested in, and good location.

ConsRepetitiveness of the job and answering to managers who were spread too thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomehow increase pay roll.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!