Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I have had a good experience

Current Employee - Footwear Department Lead  in  Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Footwear Department Lead in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am a footwear lead and i have had a pretty good experience. I put the store in at the Gainesville, GA location and have been there ever since. I started out part time and made my way to full time. Good benefits for full timers, good discount, cool products, and a good experience for future jobs if you are looking in to business management.

Cons

Corporate only looks at the bottom line and management is always being hired from the outside.

promote from within. if associates are treated well they will treat you well.

no outside life allowed

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

benefits are good, work with sport minded people

Cons

nwork/life balance, pay should reflect what you expect your people to give up

look after your assocaites

relaxed environment, good first jobs

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Merriam, KS

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

the relaxed environment is great, they really take it easy with their employees but still get the job done! my former manager Phil, was great because he was always understanding of the situation at hand. my coworkers were awesome too, even though there can be a lot to do, they were always willing to help. it can get busy but if you know how to prioritize that's not a problem at all.

Cons

the only thing that bothered me about working here really was the pay. that said, it's kind of to be expected because it's a retail job so eh.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Learned a lot in a comfortable work environment

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Work well with students/"second-job" employees, co-workers are willing to help out whenever they're needed

Cons

some policies are ambiguous, and customers certainly don't make life easy sometimes

talent evaluation and communication should be addressed,

Great place to work being around sports all day, everyday.

Former Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods  in  Grandville, MI
    Former Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Grandville, MI

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employees, good pay, and still have a home life.

Cons

Micro managing, a lot of turnover.

Not appropriate to say.

I Love Meeting People Need

Current Employee - Footwear Sales  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Footwear Sales in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

To Make People Customer Happy.

Cons

Some Of My Challenge Are To Grow And
    Become A Team.

T.L.C

Great Place to work

Current Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods  in  Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Every season Starts at Dicks If you love Sports you get to work in a great environment Good pay to sell the Sport you love

Cons

Open 7 days Leadership is difficult when staff is made up of part timers who work 2-3 days aweek

Company says Customer service is #1 but so many task are expected to be done by so few on hand staff More full time dedicated associates less part time would make a huge differance

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Structured, cutting edge products, great schedule

Cons

change, company measurables, lack of associates

keep it simple

DSG-store support office

Former Employee - Merchandise Intern  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Merchandise Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Working out of the HQ office was a wonderful experience and a great work environment. People are generally very positive and fun to work with. They love to live the brand and working out during lunch hour is totally normal and encouraged.

Cons

Compensation was low starting out. The only room for advancement is within the Pittsburgh office. Few opportunities elsewhere. Poor graduate program sponsorship.

Increase compensation and rewards for employees. You have a great office mentality set up but you lose talent on the fundamentals of how much money employees bring home at the end of the day. Was the lowest paid salary when looking at offers out of college.

Corporate Office

Former Employee - Merchandising  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Merchandising in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-work/life balance is good, for the most part. most people work 8-5, the parking lot is cleared out by 6.
    -on-site gym is good, though not spectacular (would have expected a little more from a sporting goods company ). towel service is included!!!
    -friendly employees, great culture
    -facilities are very new, cubicles are spacious
    -yearly sample sale is terrific.
    -growing store base rapidly, unlike most retailers
    -Pittsburgh is actually a great city to live in
    -non-competitive and relaxed culture
    -cool marketing campaigns and partnership with ESPN

Cons

-work/life balance is dependent on position. you could have the same title as someone else and be working 50% more.
    -remote location by the airport is not the best. long commute from the city and still 15 minutes away from food/shops.
    -very few minorities (black, hispanic, asian). the corporate office is probably 95% white.
    -low salaries and limited vacation days
    -college hires are a mixed bag in terms of talent. 80% is composed of fashion merchandising majors who couldn't get jobs at real fashion companies (Gap, Macy's, JCrew, etc.) and can't do math, marketing majors who can't do math, and finance majors who can't do math (because if you were a finance major who could do math, you probably would have had a real finance job offer and be making a lot more money), or in a few cases, unabashed nepotism. 20% are actually talented and move up quickly or leave.
    -corporate office looks down with contempt at the store organization. there have been many attempts to fix this, but the holier-than-thou attitude is still pervasive (I once heard someone repeatedly refer to store employees as "monkeys")
    -some outdated technologies
    -just FYI, you are not working in "sports", you are working in retail.

-increase salaries to obtain better talent. the attraction of working in "sports" only goes so far.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!