Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Reset
3.1
Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • The employee discount was decent (in 53 reviews)

• I had flexible hours that allowed me to look after my son (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Management is constantly pushing metrics over walkie that should be used for customer service (in 36 reviews)

1,320 Employee Reviews

1. Great Company

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Nice company great teamwork good benefits

Cons

The hiring process could be a little bit more faster

Advice to Management

Check online applications frequently

2. Golf Associate

Former Employee - Golf Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Golf Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job with a lot of down time Access to all the new clubs Accurate Simulator

Cons

Sometimes becomes very boring during slower days They do not provide anyone with enough hours in golf department Do not carry high end clubs to attract better golf clientele

3. Golf Associate/Sales Associate

Former Employee - Golf Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Golf Sales Associate in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Wonderful inventory. Store had priorities to make it the best in the state. Managers were very helpful and friendly. Easy to learn work on tasks to keep store up to date with quality products.

Cons

Other employees gossiped more than usual. Employees also didn't take job seriously. Not enough employees in store at one time, which led to negative reviews from customers about said "missing" employees.

Advice to Management

Fix the scheduling to monthly instead of weekly. Know how to treat your employees and know who are there "just because it is a job" and who are there to prosper in the company. More employees need to be put on the floor to deal with overwhelming customers.

5. Alright place to work (Distribution Center)

Current Employee - Material Handler in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing training during my first few days on the job. Friendly supervisors and co-workers, fair pay for a DC, and good benefits package.

Cons

High turn over for other employees, not enough accountability, scheduled overtime usually gets cancelled.

Advice to Management

Not much to say. Great staff, willing to help. Fun and relatively stress free environment!

6. Enjoyable place to work

Former Employee - Certified Fitness Trainer in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Certified Fitness Trainer in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love sports you need to be here. Awesome co workers. Management is fair. Benefits Will work with your schedule. Good work life balance

Cons

Pay is low. Unloading trucks could be a little easier. The system is weird. Turnover for part timers is high.

Advice to Management

Nothing really to say. They are a big corporate company now and it is what it is. If pay was better I would make a career here.

7. Sales Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Working with something you enjoy working with is a big plus. Not to mention most of the people there are friendly.

Cons

Working with stuff you enjoy comes at a price. The pay isn't great and the hours can be brutal.

8. Part time apparel associate

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Friendly, laid back environment, ability to interact with customers. A plus if you like sports. Management was trying to help you at all times.

Cons

The usual if you are in retail, long hours during Holidays, but overall a good experience if you need to go into retail I would recommend this Company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I saw many happy customers leave satisfied after happy employees helped them.

9. Sales Manager

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Friendly staff, Sports-oriented environment, No day is the same. Learn a lot about different things and meet a lot of different people.

Cons

salary employees work fifty plus hours, high stress environment with high goals. Always open on weekends and holidays. Sometimes over the top competitive.

Advice to Management

Please let perspective employees know ahead of time what the requirements are. This would include time spend at store and sales goals that need met.

10. Rating depends on many factors including who, what, where etc

Current Employee - Apparel Associate in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Apparel Associate in Phila, PA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount on most items. Casual work environment. Nothing stuffy about the company. Customers are usually delighted to be there; it's a "fun" store and they are purchasing fun things (unlike a pharmacy where many customers are there because they are ill). Depending on your management team, you can have a fabulous time - or not.

Cons

Like every retail job, the level of fun, satisfaction, frustration etc. depends heavily on the management team. I happen to have a mostly OK management team, but if you don't, then your job will be stressful. Too many demands and tasks that cannot possibly ever be completed. Many tasks are poorly done due to time constraints. My management team may not brutalize us, but they fall far short in one important regard. (See below)

Advice to Management

PRAISE!!!! For heaven's sake, it's free. But a pizza or hoagie party would not go unappreciated. REWARD your team. A little encouragement goes a long, long way. Keep your demands reasonable. That said, we would gladly try to do the impossible for you if you'd only appreciate it.

store manager

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, strong company, relocation available, bonus structure, stock grants,

Cons

Not good work life balance, pay is low for management, bonus among is a joke, stock grants are weak amounts are best.

Advice to Management

Value your managers with better financial compensation. Give higher bonuses, more stock, realize managers have families

Showing 1,320 of 1,331 reviews