Dick's Sporting Goods

Updated September 15, 2014
Updated September 15, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

I have had a good experience

Current Employee - Footwear Department Lead  in  Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Footwear Department Lead in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am a footwear lead and i have had a pretty good experience. I put the store in at the Gainesville, GA location and have been there ever since. I started out part time and made my way to full time. Good benefits for full timers, good discount, cool products, and a good experience for future jobs if you are looking in to business management.

Cons

Corporate only looks at the bottom line and management is always being hired from the outside.

promote from within. if associates are treated well they will treat you well.

Great job until 'market' crashed

Former Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods  in  Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Was a great place to show off customer service and develop a client base.

Cons

Upper management ultra focused on controlling payroll expense at the sacrifice of overall customer service, then come down on store team for poor customer service reports from actual customers.

Spend some actual time in a store and be an associate to see what the customer experience is like with the limited payroll given.

Great customers service experience

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good hours with opportunities to learn about new innovative sport and recreation products.

Cons

Different departments are not staffed properly at times.

Show more appreciation to associates

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great college job

Current Employee - Front End Sales Leader  in  Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Front End Sales Leader in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, chance for advancement if I wanted to stay in retail. Management was fun as they should be in a retail sporting goods store.

Cons

Time off policies not the greatest, I was in charge of enforcing these as a supervisor.

Student employment is a major part of the staff so value them.

it was ok dont look to get if not people person

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orlando, FL

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

you are able to get a discount off some of their items
    managers are nice most of the time
    pretty decent pay

Cons

the hours i had sucked the staff was overfilled so i had to work little hours and late nights very boring not many peole come that late

dont hire to many people

Good job to have to gain customer-service/sales experience.

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Fun atmosphere, Good discounts, Commission incentive is nice but wish it were higher.

Cons

Low Pay, Would like better selling incentives

Great Position

Current Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods  in  Tupelo, MS
    Current Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Tupelo, MS

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Make your own schedule. work in an easy going evironment helping people select the right equipment.

Cons

Sometimes the needs of the company have you work late hours.

None

Great Place to work

Current Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods  in  Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - PGA Golf Professional @ Dicks Sporting Goods in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Every season Starts at Dicks If you love Sports you get to work in a great environment Good pay to sell the Sport you love

Cons

Open 7 days Leadership is difficult when staff is made up of part timers who work 2-3 days aweek

Company says Customer service is #1 but so many task are expected to be done by so few on hand staff More full time dedicated associates less part time would make a huge differance

Typical Retail Experience

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

The staff tended to be nice and knowledgeable. Scheduling worked well with another job or school. Contests provide opportunities for prizes and build excitement amongst the team.

Cons

Constant turnover lead to more stress on the more tenured members of the staff. Discount is lower than many other retail companies I have worked for. Also difficult to advance in the company, even at the store level.

Not a bad place to work...

Current Employee - Lodge Associate
    Current Employee - Lodge Associate

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time for more than a year

Pros

Well, it's retail. What can you say? At least you don't have to be ashamed working there because most of the stores are kept in pretty good condition and they don't hire a lot of idiots. Things are laid-out pretty good for you so you don't feel "what the heck am I supposed to be doing?" very often. Store management will pitch-in and get their "hands dirty" to get stuff done.

Cons

Almost zero feedback from management. I had my annual performance review and was told a bunch of stuff that I did wrong almost a YEAR ago. Why didn't they tell me earlier? Another big issue is that the Team Leads (aka department managers) have no scheduled overlap with their employees. It's kind of hard to get things on the right track when your time with your supervisor is limited to a few seconds when you meet at the time clock on your way in or out. Scheduling is another issue because they only publish next week's schedule a few days before the beginning of the week. But they require you to request time off three weeks in advance. Medical and health insurance benefits for part-timers is pretty basic and not worth much.

1. Build-in overlap time with the Team Leads and their Associates.
    2. Let the stores have some leeway in their merchandising. Don't try to run everything by remote control from Pittsburgh. We have gondolas of stuff that simply will not sell because nobody in the area participates in that sport.
    3. Hire mature adults more often. You'll have less supervision issues. My store sometimes feels like Romper Room.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!