Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

1074 reviews filtered by
1,074 Reviews
Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack
Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Only good thing about working here is the employee discount (in 53 reviews)

• I had flexible hours that allowed me to look after my son (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • work-life balance hard at times- always was called in on days off (in 20 reviews)

• POOR internal customer service, poor store to store product selection consistency (in 36 reviews)

1. Cashier

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Richmond, VA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The store mangers are great. The other cashiers and floor people were great too. Great people made the job easy and fun even during the busiest days. Working with relatively young managers is different from other retailers, and is much appreciated.

Cons

Every retail job has the same cons and DSG is no different. No problems with the company or the workers, it's only the customers who I'd have any complaints about.

Keep up the good work and continue to reward employees that stand out.

2. Whatever it takes

Former Employee - Product Development in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Product Development in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

DKS was a great place to work, constantly challenging themselves to rethink sporting goods retail

Cons

no real cons, the company went through explosive growth while I was there

Tired

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay. Good benefits. Great atmosphere and customer base.

Cons

Long weeks on your feet. Outdated technology. Unrealistic expectations with little payroll

cut down the spending on paper and signage and apply it to payroll. Stores cannot execute the large amount of tasks with the small payroll budgets. It's become a taboo subject with upper management and no solution ever seems to be close. Meanwhile, expensive signage is used for 3 months and thrown away. The average store spends hundreds of dollars in paper a week and the newest technology is iPhone 4s that do not work.

5. Sales Support Manager/SMTP

Current Employee - Sales Support Manager/SMTP in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Support Manager/SMTP in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great way to get good exposure to the "field". Drive for results, helping familes and your local community sports find what they need. Using this postion to influence and build leaders.

Cons

None. Just work hard and smart.

Continue to bridge the gap between the Field and Corp.

6. Loved my time working here

Former Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in Laguna Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Team Sports Sales Associate in Laguna Hills, CA

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent job for having no experience. It will really teach you a lot. I worked here while in college to make some extra money.

Cons

No cons I can think of

Keep up the good work.

7. Footwear Sales Associate

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods

Pros

Very fun and relaxing. The people make you feel comfortable and at home. Everyone is goal oriented and very willing to get the job done whatever it is.

Cons

Gets very busy at times where it might be come very stressful at times and over whelming.

8. Working here was confusing. The management struggled because it didn't seem like they knew what the company wanted.

Former Employee - Running Specialist
    Former Employee - Running Specialist

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some free gear, nice managers and employees

Cons

Corporate seemed like a mess

9. Not a terrible job, but not particularly enjoyable.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount is good, the hours are decent and it is easy to request days off. Almost all of my coworkers are nice and fun to be around.

Cons

Management delegates blame better than they delegate tasks. Training is not done properly, there are never enough employees, and company policies tend to leave customers angry (generally at the unfortunate associates). My biggest issue working here is the Rewards card and Credit card programs. As a cashier you are constantly monitored (through statistics gathered by the register) to see if you are getting enough people to sign up for these programs. If customers say no, you are held accountable. Your ability to do other tasks, like ring efficiently and in a pleasant & timely matter don't seem to matter in comparison to the reward card stats.

Hire more employees, train these employees better, give them the tools to excel, delegate tasks, and most importantly, take responsibility for what happens in your store. Blaming associates is easy, but training them and giving them the tools to improve is what will help things run more smoothly.

10. Decent summer job

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most of my coworkers were really helpful and fun. The best part about working there was the athletic dress code. Super easy to abide to.

Cons

Not enough employees at the store so many times cashiers under lots of pressure to go through the check outs much faster. Once you have your schedule near to impossible to change.

The management should be more flexible to employees needs. They also need to hire more people. Our location was understaffed most of the time I was there.

11. Love my job, love the store.

Current Employee - Running Specialist
    Current Employee - Running Specialist

I have been working at Dick's Sporting Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coming out of high school as a runner and into college as a D1 athlete, it was hard to find a decent job that related to my athletic interests. Then I thought about DSG and realized they were looking for a Running Specialist. Without hesitation I applied, followed up, and got an interview. I never had an actual job or interview before, but I was extremely enthusiastic about possibly landing my first job and being able to work in an Athletic retail store. They loved my interview and started me the next day. I absolutely love sports, and running shoes, and I felt so at home being able to help and educate customers about running and the importance of finding the right shoe. I work on a seasonal basis right now since college takes up most of my life, but they're always happy to see me and excited whenever I'm able to come back.

Cons

Unfortunately, it seems that other coworkers and new hires aren't necessarily there because they want to work, they just want to get paid, which is extremely discouraging as someone that's enthusiastic about going to work. However, managers are willing to hear from you if you have any worries, suggestions, or inquiries.

Maybe keep a better eye on new hires and adjust work hours based off of employee performance and willingness to work.

Dick's Sporting Goods Photos