Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros:
  • "Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions"
    in 25 reviews
  • "From what I've heard from my full time co-workers, benefits are non-existent"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Poor Managment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Portage, MI

ProsGreat customer's always happy to ask for help and input from employee's

ConsPoor management and a lack of willingness to work with school schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementMore qualified managers are needed

Current Fitness Sales Assoicate / certified bike tech

Fitness Sales Associate/Certified Bike Tech (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat coworkers
    Great work environment
    Great atmosphere
    If you like providing great customer service then this is the job for you where you'll be required to push metrics like the loyally card program as well as credit cards and the No Sweat Protection Plans on qualified merchandise in the store.

ConsHorrible pay
    Ok managers (main reason is the managers in the store I work in rarely provide you with help when you need it most and expect you to be like a robot and be at more than one place at a time). Or other words they like to overwork you.
    They're several people that will walk in and demand things and be rude every now and then.
    When it is busy, you are swamped left and right with customers and you're the only one in that department.
    They often have you scheduled by yourself either working freight on the floor when truck comes and/or cover 2-4 departments at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not assume your employees are robots.
    Please respect your employees, or else it will come back and bite you in the behind (in verge of calling hr on my boss soon)
    Please provide help when your employees need it
    Do not take out anger on employees

Not sure they've got themselves together

Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee)

ProsI guess some pros are it's casual sports clothes, lots of jobs to choose from and part time also gets some benefits that full time gets.

ConsThe pros are unorganized training, hours are not very good, and managers weren't very helpful during or after the orientation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting better organized because training is terrible! I form. Us of the important things we need to know the day before our first day! Don't treat us like burdens because you had to train us were new we need help too!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not too bad depending on who your leaders are.

Operations Associate (Current Employee)
    Pleasant Hill, CA

ProsFun store to work in. Lots to do, so you stay busy. Clean and bright. Work with a lot of younger people.

ConsThe managers seem to get a little intense. Napoleon complex anyone?

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out and trust your team. Also dont punish 100 people for 1 persons mistake.

Your average retail job.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Syracuse, NY

ProsHours when I needed them, promotions did not occur, receiving a raise was like pulling teeth

ConsTedious activities, all that ultimately matters are the customer surveys and credit cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive bonuses to positive surveys...

Great

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPay was great, great environment loved the co workers, great for sports fan and people looking for retail experience.

ConsVery busy fast paced horrible customers no overtime no dicks show up ironically

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job

Good second job or part time job for students

Golf Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Papillion, NE

ProsEasy job with multiple perks for not having to work very hard. In down time you can hit balls and test out all of the brand new clubs. Pretty laid back managers that are always around if they are needed.

ConsHaving to do other department's jobs while still expected to handle customers in the golf section. The scheduling system changed to a computer system that would schedule me even when I had marked those days as not available to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the scheduling system. Schedule more employees in all of the other sections of the store so the Golf department isn't doing all of their jobs for them.

Good job for when you need one

CSS (Current Employee)
    Fort Myers, FL

Pros25% off most purchases and 3% of protection plans makes the pay benefits good for both full and part time associates.

ConsSeverely understaffed during most busy hours and days. Very unstable schedule when it comes to hours. Lack of management training leads to mass confusion at times. Departments forced to work in other departments while keeping track of their own department.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease hours available for better coverage on schedules and allow for easier promotion process for those deserving of it.

It's a retail job. Low stress, low pay. Do it for the discount

Apparel Associate (Former Employee)
    Columbus, OH

Proseasy
    awesome discount, esp when you do the online trainings to learn more about products
    fun social environment
    like-minded people (i like being active, so did most of the people that worked there)

Consodd hours, shifts all over the place
    always short-staffed
    pay is just awful
    (all of these things are expected in retail, of course)

Advice to Senior ManagementMeh. I don't have any opinions about it.

Cashier in El Paso

Cashier (Former Employee)
    El Paso, TX

ProsLots of down time, pretty easy to keep up with your own end, and an okay pay. Not too bad if it's just a temporary part time gig. If you need time off you could usually get it as long as you turn in your paper two weeks ahead of time.

ConsScheduling issues a lot of the time, having to pick up the slack for other departments' work, could be better. It felt like no one, not even the managers, ever wanted to be there. Associates wouldn't really want to work together despite no one wanting to help other departments. Lots of over scheduling early on and under scheduling later on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just tell the associates what the core beliefs are, find a way to make it a real thing. And quit under scheduling the apparel department. You can't have two people working for all those clothes and tell everyone to fold as fast as they can come closing time. Everyone has their own area to worry about already.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack. All 718 reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees.