Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros:
  • "Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job"
    in 30 reviews
Cons:
  • "Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions"
    in 25 reviews
  • "From what I've heard from my full time co-workers, benefits are non-existent"
    in 23 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Fun crew. Short hours. Average pay.

Price-signage Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsFun crew. Kinda like a family there. As a psc, I don't work in a specific dept, so I can create my on schedule and be off work by 2 or 3. I have it worked out with my managers to be off on Friday/ Saturday. But that just at my store!! Most companies and other stores are way more up tight with your schedule s. Especially with department workers.

ConsThe workloads are overwhelming most of the time. I sometimes have a project that usually need five people to complete. I personally like the challenge, but the finger is still pointed at you if it's not completed. And when you DO have extra help, it lazy help. You may as well run and push harder alone. At least you know stuff is getting done. Opposed to babysitting people that don't wanna help you in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has to be a solution to the hours supplied to the stores. Cut off any unnecessary tasks and ineffective projects. Corporate should communicate more with store manager, not the district or regional managers, about what works in the stores for them, and the customers.

Once you move up hr rate is better!

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Willow Grove, PA

Prosdiscount 25%, rate is better than most, hours are good based on time you have been there

ConsHad to clean up mice droppings, mice dropping in lockers, break room wasn't very nice

Advice to Senior ManagementMice issue needed to be fixed asap

Poor Managment

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Portage, MI

ProsGreat customer's always happy to ask for help and input from employee's

ConsPoor management and a lack of willingness to work with school schedules

Advice to Senior ManagementMore qualified managers are needed

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Current Fitness Sales Assoicate / certified bike tech

Fitness Sales Associate/Certified Bike Tech (Current Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsGreat coworkers
    Great work environment
    Great atmosphere
    If you like providing great customer service then this is the job for you where you'll be required to push metrics like the loyally card program as well as credit cards and the No Sweat Protection Plans on qualified merchandise in the store.

ConsHorrible pay
    Ok managers (main reason is the managers in the store I work in rarely provide you with help when you need it most and expect you to be like a robot and be at more than one place at a time). Or other words they like to overwork you.
    They're several people that will walk in and demand things and be rude every now and then.
    When it is busy, you are swamped left and right with customers and you're the only one in that department.
    They often have you scheduled by yourself either working freight on the floor when truck comes and/or cover 2-4 departments at a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not assume your employees are robots.
    Please respect your employees, or else it will come back and bite you in the behind (in verge of calling hr on my boss soon)
    Please provide help when your employees need it
    Do not take out anger on employees

Not sure they've got themselves together

Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee)

ProsI guess some pros are it's casual sports clothes, lots of jobs to choose from and part time also gets some benefits that full time gets.

ConsThe pros are unorganized training, hours are not very good, and managers weren't very helpful during or after the orientation.

Advice to Senior ManagementGetting better organized because training is terrible! I form. Us of the important things we need to know the day before our first day! Don't treat us like burdens because you had to train us were new we need help too!

Not too bad depending on who your leaders are.

Operations Associate (Current Employee)
    Pleasant Hill, CA

ProsFun store to work in. Lots to do, so you stay busy. Clean and bright. Work with a lot of younger people.

ConsThe managers seem to get a little intense. Napoleon complex anyone?

Advice to Senior ManagementChill out and trust your team. Also dont punish 100 people for 1 persons mistake.

Your average retail job.

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Syracuse, NY

ProsHours when I needed them, promotions did not occur, receiving a raise was like pulling teeth

ConsTedious activities, all that ultimately matters are the customer surveys and credit cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive bonuses to positive surveys...

Great

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPay was great, great environment loved the co workers, great for sports fan and people looking for retail experience.

ConsVery busy fast paced horrible customers no overtime no dicks show up ironically

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat job

Good second job or part time job for students

Golf Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Papillion, NE

ProsEasy job with multiple perks for not having to work very hard. In down time you can hit balls and test out all of the brand new clubs. Pretty laid back managers that are always around if they are needed.

ConsHaving to do other department's jobs while still expected to handle customers in the golf section. The scheduling system changed to a computer system that would schedule me even when I had marked those days as not available to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the scheduling system. Schedule more employees in all of the other sections of the store so the Golf department isn't doing all of their jobs for them.

Enjoyable

Front End Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsGreat opportunity to acquire retail experience.

ConsThere was a lack of communication between employee and higher management.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dick's Sporting Goods reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Dick's Sporting Goods CEO Edward W. Stack. All 720 reviews posted anonymously by Dick's Sporting Goods employees.