Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only (in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions (in 27 reviews)

• Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

i love Dicks Sporting Goods!!

Prosgreat friendly amazing can move up

Consneed to hire more people in my store should give more back to assc.

decent company

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule. Pay is ok. Benefits are good. Great team environment. Most employees work together and like being there.

ConsStores run on skeletal crews that can be overwhelmed quickly with higher than normal traffic or time demanding customer. In an effort to cut labor cost shifts do not overlap and it is difficult for employees to get breaks.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll managers need to remember that in most cases it is not life or death. Remember to be in tune with the employees, get them on their breaks and thank them for the effort as often as you can.

It's great if you get the right managers.

Apparel Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsGood corporation. It takes quite a while to go from hourly to a lead, but leads seem to like the treatment that they get from managers, because there's very little turnover. Lots of flexibility before and after the schedules come out. Managers are open to giving you extra hours if you ask for it, there is a need, and it's in the budget.

ConsIt is retail, so you'll get a good share of customers who don't look at you as a person who is there to help. If you're in apparel you'll find that your job is to clean up piles of crumpled up sports bras and stretch pants (Seriously people! Try it on. Put it back!). When lines get long at the registers the entire store freaks out and managers start to yell for backup, even though they know that there are no more trained cashiers on the shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more flexibility to department managers when it comes to displaying merch. I know that your highly paid MBA graduates worked hard on those game plans, but they haven't experienced retail like your store managers have, and software is no substitute for eyes on the floor.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store life, what life?

Sales Support Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsGreat to be around sports.

ConsSalaried managers required to work 5-10 hour shifts a week, while also expected to work additional hours during the holidays and inventory time. Extremely difficult to maintain any type of work/life balance. A lot of disconnect from the corporate office to the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet Mon-Thurs schedules can be done while rotating weekends so that your management teams have an opportunity to live normal lives.

My Review

ProsIt was a fun job if you like sports

Consit was a lot of sports and men

Descent job

Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsDescent pay, easy work. Basically just help customers shop

ConsSome rude customers, and hard to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees work

Cashier

Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) Brandon, FL

ProsGreat College Job. Worked well with me on scheduling my work around my classes.

ConsWorking weekends. Long holiday hours.

Fun crew. Short hours. Average pay.

Price-signage Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsFun crew. Kinda like a family there. As a psc, I don't work in a specific dept, so I can create my on schedule and be off work by 2 or 3. I have it worked out with my managers to be off on Friday/ Saturday. But that just at my store!! Most companies and other stores are way more up tight with your schedule s. Especially with department workers.

ConsThe workloads are overwhelming most of the time. I sometimes have a project that usually need five people to complete. I personally like the challenge, but the finger is still pointed at you if it's not completed. And when you DO have extra help, it lazy help. You may as well run and push harder alone. At least you know stuff is getting done. Opposed to babysitting people that don't wanna help you in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has to be a solution to the hours supplied to the stores. Cut off any unnecessary tasks and ineffective projects. Corporate should communicate more with store manager, not the district or regional managers, about what works in the stores for them, and the customers.

Bicycle Technician/Sales Associate

Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsI worked in the Mall at Robinson, and it was pretty good. Obviously it's a part-time high school student job, but the atmosphere was fun. The management was easy to work with. As long as you're not unwilling to learn and you're responsible, they like you. All the departments are specialized, so there is a learning curve if you're jumping in. Advice: learn quickly and ask lots of questions.

ConsIf the management doesn't like you, they'll stop scheduling you. Just do your best, though, and you'll have no problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be aware that most of your employees are kids in high school or college. No real-world experience, and just need some money. Find a way to motivate them and keep them interested. AKA, don't just yell at everyone for doing something wrong...

Overall it was a good experience.

ProsFlexible hours, fun atmosphere, good people to work with.

ConsSome managers worse than others, sometimes tedious

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!